gta v video comparison ps3 vs 360

#21Lemur_HPosted 9/14/2013 11:08:47 PM
2Dshmuplover posted...
Will mention a couple of things I noticed:

The foliage is much more detailed on 360, you can see with the tree's outside Franklin's house as well as bushes are lower resolution on PS3.

Standing in front of the garage before Franklin gets in the car, the wall to right lacks textures on the PS3.

I looked and looked and didn't notice any of this. The changes in time of day has a dramatic impact on the image, and how many textures and objects look, which makes this video worthless as a comparison.
#222DshmuploverPosted 9/14/2013 11:13:37 PM
Lemur_H posted...
2Dshmuplover posted...

The foliage is much more detailed on 360, you can see with the tree's outside Franklin's house as well as bushes are lower resolution on PS3.

Standing in front of the garage before Franklin gets in the car, the wall to right lacks textures on the PS3.

I looked and looked and didn't notice any of this. The changes in time of day has a dramatic impact on the image, and how many textures and objects look, which makes this video worthless as a comparison.

Are you watching fullscreen 720p?

I understand the difference in time of day can effect certain things but not the level of leaves on a tree nor the textures on the wall. To me it's pretty clear but they both look good.
---
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.
GT: cloudskipa
#23CADE FOSTERPosted 9/14/2013 11:17:07 PM
looks better on ps3>360 still getting 360 version
---
http://i.imgur.com/fQ2zSjD.gif
http://i.imgur.com/x2gNTiS.gif
#24Saq02Posted 9/14/2013 11:17:48 PM
Imo, the x360 version looks a tad bit more convincing in terms of realism. You wouldn't have very dark shadows in rl as shown on the ps3 version.

If the sun is hiding around a cloud in rl, then yea, it'll be a bit darker for a few seconds.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Trials Gold Ed, Dishonored, GRID 2, Dirt 3, Gotham City Imposters F2P, Krater.
#25PredatorPosted 9/14/2013 11:20:06 PM
2Dshmuplover posted...
Both look good, I would say the 360 version has the edge, more sophisticated lighting and shadows and just looks more rich. Slight element of blur on the PS3 game but I think it's 720p or at least a lot closer than GTA IV. Now on to the performance comparison!

I wouldn't trust the difference in lighting since the videos were taken at different times of day. There are shadows present on the PS3 that aren't on 360 and vice-versa. Watch from ~0:25-0:31 when he walks outside. You can see a shadow being cast by the fence in front of the house on the PS3 version but not on 360. But at the same point, you can see a shadow from the electrical pole across the street on 360 that isn't there on PS3. 1:35-1:50, when he's at the garage, also shows a huge difference in shadows, clearly caused by the time of day.

Aside from that, I think the two look really close. That "softer look" people talk about when they refer to the PS3 versions of GTA4 and RDR is caused by a combination of lower resolution and QXAA filtering. Basically it just makes the game look blurrier than the 360 version. I'm not seeing that in these videos. For example, at 1:20 you can make out textural detail on the large tree behind him. Now look at these comparison screens from Red Dead Redemption:

360: http://images.eurogamer.net/articles//a/1/1/0/1/8/9/5/Foliage360_000.jpg.jpg
PS3: http://images.eurogamer.net/articles//a/1/1/0/1/8/9/5/FoliagePS3_000.jpg.jpg

See the big cactus in the middle-left of the frame? See how on 360 you can make out the detail of the texture on it, but on PS3 you can't because it's too blurry?

Obviously the video is lower quality than those screenshots, and that could be hiding some of the subtler differences. But it does appear that both versions are running at the same resolution this time, with comparable AA. As a PS3 owner who was really disappointed by how much better the graphics looked in RDR on 360, I find this encouraging.
#26Lemur_HPosted 9/14/2013 11:21:02 PM
2Dshmuplover posted...
Lemur_H posted...
2Dshmuplover posted...

Are you watching fullscreen 720p?

I understand the difference in time of day can effect certain things but not the level of leaves on a tree nor the textures on the wall. To me it's pretty clear but they both look good.

Yes. Still didn't see it. Full screen isn't necessarily going to help on a 1080p monitor. Especially with YouTube's crazy compression.

Both are awesome and it's for the better if I can't see the difference.
#27Lemur_HPosted 9/14/2013 11:23:05 PM
Predator posted...
As a PS3 owner who was really disappointed by how much better the graphics looked in RDR on 360, I find this encouraging.

As someone that has played through Red Dead Redemption entirely on both systems, the PS3 version was painful. I believe Rockstar has confirmed that both versions of Grand Theft Auto V are 720p. Everybody wins this time!
#282DshmuploverPosted 9/14/2013 11:28:46 PM
Predator posted...
2Dshmuplover posted...
Both look good, I would say the 360 version has the edge, more sophisticated lighting and shadows and just looks more rich. Slight element of blur on the PS3 game but I think it's 720p or at least a lot closer than GTA IV. Now on to the performance comparison!

I wouldn't trust the difference in lighting since the videos were taken at different times of day. There are shadows present on the PS3 that aren't on 360 and vice-versa. Watch from ~0:25-0:31 when he walks outside. You can see a shadow being cast by the fence in front of the house on the PS3 version but not on 360. But at the same point, you can see a shadow from the electrical pole across the street on 360 that isn't there on PS3. 1:35-1:50, when he's at the garage, also shows a huge difference in shadows, clearly caused by the time of day.

Aside from that, I think the two look really close. That "softer look" people talk about when they refer to the PS3 versions of GTA4 and RDR is caused by a combination of lower resolution and QXAA filtering. Basically it just makes the game look blurrier than the 360 version. I'm not seeing that in these videos. For example, at 1:20 you can make out textural detail on the large tree behind him. Now look at these comparison screens from Red Dead Redemption:

360: http://images.eurogamer.net/articles//a/1/1/0/1/8/9/5/Foliage360_000.jpg.jpg
PS3: http://images.eurogamer.net/articles//a/1/1/0/1/8/9/5/FoliagePS3_000.jpg.jpg

See the big cactus in the middle-left of the frame? See how on 360 you can make out the detail of the texture on it, but on PS3 you can't because it's too blurry?

Obviously the video is lower quality than those screenshots, and that could be hiding some of the subtler differences. But it does appear that both versions are running at the same resolution this time, with comparable AA. As a PS3 owner who was really disappointed by how much better the graphics looked in RDR on 360, I find this encouraging.

I agree with you, the PS3 game doens't look anything like RDR and GTA IV at 640p. This time around it looks 720p or at least very close to it.

However there are differences in the foliage such as the leave density and the textures on the wall in front of the garage to the right at 1:35 of the vid.

Both look good IMO. I know it's hard to tell 100% even at 720p on a compressed vid but I wouldn't be disappointed with either, but lets wait for the performnce comparison as that matters.
---
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.
GT: cloudskipa
#29Lemur_HPosted 9/14/2013 11:31:24 PM
2Dshmuplover posted...
but lets wait for the performnce comparison as that matters.

+1
#30hazardous424Posted 9/14/2013 11:51:39 PM
I will say if you look at the house to the right of the garage, which is what he's referring to even though he said wall, You can see that in the ps3 version it looks completely smooth and in the 360 version it has texture, like it's cement. The tree thing is less noticeable.