Installing GTA V and You (HDDS, DISCs and USBs).

#21CrossBones3129Posted 9/19/2013 8:13:21 AMmessage detail
crawdad posted...
Conclusion a.k.a TL;DR version

DISCLAIMER: If using a non slim, or old "Fat" 360, and you don't have the luxury of 2 separate devices or storage media, installing both to one media might be your better option because heat/temperature and/or noise issues related to the older consoles from disc reading might be a bigger problem than graphical degradation. Consider the thread a heads up of what to expect if this is your only real route.

You make it sound like the slims come with 2 storage devices and the phats dont have the ability to use USB drives.

I plan on buying a USB Drive today and I have a Phat 360.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag:
I CrossBones I
#22TuffEnuff81Posted 9/19/2013 8:15:15 AMmessage detail
CrossBones3129 posted...
crawdad posted...

DISCLAIMER: If using a non slim, or old "Fat" 360, and you don't have the luxury of 2 separate devices or storage media, installing both to one media might be your better option because heat/temperature and/or noise issues related to the older consoles from disc reading might be a bigger problem than graphical degradation. Consider the thread a heads up of what to expect if this is your only real route.

You make it sound like the slims come with 2 storage devices and the phats dont have the ability to use USB drives.

They have a built in internal, and a plug n play internal. So ya.....2 storage devices.
#23CrossBones3129Posted 9/19/2013 8:21:26 AMmessage detail
TuffEnuff81 posted...
CrossBones3129 posted...
crawdad posted...

They have a built in internal, and a plug n play internal. So ya.....2 storage devices.

I don't get it. They've got the hard drive on the top/bottom but what do you mean "plug n play internal"?
---
Xbox Live Gamertag:
I CrossBones I
#24N7Spectre707Posted 9/19/2013 8:24:22 AMmessage detail
andreoni79 posted...
N7Spectre707 posted...
TuffEnuff81 posted...
Tried 3 diff methods:

1. INSTAL disk to HDD and PLAY disk unistalled

2. INSTAL disk to HDD and PLAY disk installed to HDD

3. INSTAL disk to HDD and PLAY disk to USB

PLAY disk to USB yielded the best performance as well as saving my xbox. Just confirming your post.

TY

He is saying it might be even better to install the INSTALL disc to the USB, and the PLAY disc to the HDD instead.

I'm going to buy a 16gb flash drive reading 30mb/sec. Isn't this faster than the HDD? This means that I should install in the usb the "heaviest" cd, right?

I'm not sure what the speed of the HDD is but that is an excellent point; different USBs have different performances and that should probably be taken into account.
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed"
-MiKe345675
#25crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 8:48:39 AMmessage detail
Just because the USB drive allows for up to 30MB/s read speeds doesn't necessarily mean that the system can utilise it, (it might be limited by it's own hardware) However having said all that it's possible based on the hardware the user has access too, that this is a very real possibility.

However without knowing the exact read rate of the HDD, it's safer to assume until further testing is done that the more frequently accessed HDD will read faster than the average $10 dollar USB flash drive.

Basic point is that two separate drives is faster than only 1 Drive being used period.

Anyone seriously getting confused over whether a slim comes with a flash drive or not needs to do more research then.

I think I used the word "luxury" when referencing separate storage media.
---
Spit in the face of life and have a good day out of sheer f****** spite!
GT:Gojirra PSN Gojirra102 steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#26shooterb52Posted 9/19/2013 8:57:31 AMmessage detail
I'm still new to this. Why do you put (sticky) in the posts
#27crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 9:00:43 AMmessage detail
Thanks for the Sticky guys! Just wanted to point out I don't have edit privileges for my OP any more but it is very worth while pointing out that USB read speeds MAY alter optimum performance ratios,

I think it's safe to say that the gist of it is, that the PLAY disc be installed on the fastest READ device available to the player and the INSTALL disc be installed on the the opposite device, at least until testing says otherwise confirming one is definitely faster than the other under any or all circumstances. though most likely most users won't spend extra money for a usb device to dedicate to one game install and will likely use whatever free flash they have lying around.

Regardless, thanks for the input!
---
Spit in the face of life and have a good day out of sheer f****** spite!
GT:Gojirra PSN Gojirra102 steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#28FDFHighPunchPosted 9/19/2013 9:07:46 AMmessage detail
How about R* just releases a game in which both discs can be installed to the hard drive without problems
---
Dirty Chinese Jumpsuit
#29DmbcrimsonPosted 9/19/2013 9:10:37 AMmessage detail
Great topic! I too wondered which Disc to install to the HDD and USB to provide best result.

Slightly off topic but, one thing I did notice is how the game Alerts me everytime it autosaves my progress since doing this. It pauses and asks if I wish to overwrite. I don't recall that happening when I first started playing before installing to USB. Anyone else get that alert?

Right now I have my Install Disc on my 360's HDD and the Play Disc on my thumb drive. Works great, loads fast and quiet.
---
Gamertag : TIDE OF CRIMSON
Diablo III - GTA V - Disney Infinity - Payday 2 - Hitman Absolution - Dead Island
#30N7Spectre707Posted 9/19/2013 9:13:53 AMmessage detail
FDFHighPunch posted...
How about R* just releases a game in which both discs can be installed to the hard drive without problems

Curb your entitlement please, this topic is about getting the best optimization using extra peripherals. The game works fine playing from disc.
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed"
-MiKe345675