Installing GTA V and You (HDDS, DISCs and USBs).

#221MessiahKnotPosted 11/13/2013 4:43:51 AMmessage detail
Anyone tried installing both discs to separate flash drives? I'm wondering if that would impact performance positively or negatively, as HDD would effectively be bypassed altogether. Been running PLAY/HDD and INSTALL/Flash pretty much since it was recommended, but since progressing further into the game, the texture pop-in seems to getting more prevalent. Not sure if it's a patch, or some kind of quirk, but I swear it ran more smoothly earlier on.
#222aRenegadeBOSSPosted 11/13/2013 10:22:36 AMmessage detail
So literally about to buy the digital download version right now. My question is the initial download, would that be considered the "install" disc? And how large is the "play" disc. I want to be sure i have enough memory on my hdd before i buy it. Any help would be appreciated it.
#223baueris24Posted 11/13/2013 5:29:28 PMmessage detail
aRenegadeBOSS posted...
So literally about to buy the digital download version right now. My question is the initial download, would that be considered the "install" disc? And how large is the "play" disc. I want to be sure i have enough memory on my hdd before i buy it. Any help would be appreciated it.

I don't own the digital download version only the disc version but I imagine the sizes would be about the same size as the disc version. Both discs are just shy of 8 GBs each so you would need approximately 16 GBs of free space. You might want to consider investing in a USB drive with at least 16 GBs of space for best gameplay performance if it's anything like the disc version and put install on USB and the Play one on your hard drive.
#224TurnbullACPosted 11/18/2013 4:43:09 PMmessage detail
I bought a Kingston DataTraveler SE9 USB 2.0 flash drive (16gb) for a total of $14 and change at Best Buy. I installed the install disc to the flash drive and the play disc to the HDD and still got pop-in. Then I installed the two discs to the opposite drives and still have pop-in. According to a couple places on the Web, this particular flash has read speeds of at least 16mb/s. One place said it had 20 or 21. I have read that (at least some) usb 2's can read as fast as 30mb/s. Would a faster usb 2 help me here? Can anyone recommend one?

I see at least one person here, Epic_McDude, had problems with pop-in while using a usb 2 but switched to a usb 3--ensuring the fastest possible usb 2 speeds, I assume--and it fixed things. Problem for me is I'd rather not spend $30+ for something I'm only going to use for one game.
#225crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2013 12:13:43 PMmessage detail
Chances are you won't completely remove pop in, just reduce it's severity.
---
Spit in the face of life and have a good day out of sheer f****** spite!
GT:Gojirra PSN Gojirra102 steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#226klajdi6363Posted 12/2/2013 5:54:33 PMmessage detail
What's the minimum size the USB has to be for me to instal the intSal disk on it? 16GB?
---
The internet: Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are the FBI
Okami! Play this game if you haven't already!
#227baueris24Posted 12/3/2013 10:48:37 AMmessage detail
klajdi6363 posted...
What's the minimum size the USB has to be for me to instal the intSal disk on it? 16GB?

Yes. Even though the install size is just under 8 GB, the system configuration uses some of the space on the drive so there isn't enough room with just an 8 GB drive. Definitely go with 16 GB minimum.
#228urfingfacePosted 12/3/2013 1:07:46 PMmessage detail
I looked through and didnt see this asked, but if you have two drives in your system (the original 10 gig+the larger one) would installing them both seperately yield the same results as a flash drive?
#229ianpwilliamsPosted 12/19/2013 1:18:28 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#230McmacladdiePosted 12/29/2013 5:03:47 PMmessage detail
Just bought a USB drive and plugged it in and moved the 1st disc's install content over to the drive. Can confirm that load times vs. having both installed on the HDD are so much better it's like night and day. Have yet to notice any pop-in, but I figure that might be harder to see at night.
---
RIP Eddie Guerrero 1967-2005. He will be missed.