Installing GTA V and You (HDDS, DISCs and USBs).

#241goatlpsPosted 3/5/2014 7:02:54 PMmessage detail
goatlps posted...
"The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again"

...Is this message confirmation that my stick's 30.5gb capacity is a hacked/fake capacity and it is actually less than the required 7.8gb?

...Ok, for your reference, I tested my "32GB" memory stick using a PC utility called H2testw and it really is a 32GB stick...only that it is completely riddled with defects. It was a reject and they were obviously bought wholesale by EBay UK low life astrostore_sales. Nottingham scum. Luckily it was 3, but they'll be having all their crap reported as soon as I've been refunded.
#242Grifkilla51Posted 3/7/2014 9:37:15 AMmessage detail
Out of curiosity, what looks better the PS3 version or the 360 version with the INSTALL Disc on USB device and the PLAY disc on the Internal HDD?
#243goatlpsPosted 3/8/2014 3:07:42 AMmessage detail
Grifkilla51 posted...
Out of curiosity, what looks better the PS3 version or the 360 version with the INSTALL Disc on USB device and the PLAY disc on the Internal HDD?

I doubt anyone has had both consoles running side-by-side with identical TVs to give a true answer. I've played both versions on HDD though and the PS3 had some frame rate drop, but nothing really bad.
If you're deciding on which version to get - the real clincher is that you can use custom music playlists on the 360 (last time I checked on the PS3 you cannot). There's c.250(?) songs on GTAV, with about 10 good tracks from those, so I'd go mad using the PS3. I'd guess GTA Online is a hacker-fest on PSN too and you can choose the avoid option on Xbox Live for the many psychos online - obviously the 360's gamepad is better too. However, regarding playlists, the people here might be concerned about the console reading music from the HDD or from a USB-plugged in iPod and giving pop-up graphics again (2 USB ports in use will slow the memory stick read speed?) - but I'll live with that. Actually, I have the in-game music volume off, so I wonder if it helps it not having to read it(?).
...If I hear Fergie sing, "Glamorous - the flous, the flous", one more time I'll call Merryweather onto her. Oh, and that, "Gabrielle you've gone too far", song makes me want to kill people! Then there's the Punk/hardcore bands playing every time I get on my motorbike! Shameful.
Vice City's Emotion FM was better than GTAV's entire awful soundtrack...but I digress.
#244goatlpsPosted 3/8/2014 3:21:07 AMmessage detail
BTW - My brand new (legit') Bytestor Dataferry 32GB memory stick arrived...I configured it and my (fat, Elite/Falcon) 360 said it fell below recommended performance levels and there'd be problems...I am now going to cry. -_-
None of the sticks list read speeds, so I just went with what 1 clown said on his review about the Dataferry reading at 25mb/s.
I will return it and go for a SanDisk...or a Kingston...or PNY. But with no one providing performance figures it's just hit and miss.
...Right, I'm off to start crying now. :'(
#245LolWutBrahPosted 4/5/2014 4:05:25 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#246McmacladdiePosted 4/11/2014 12:21:16 PMmessage detail
goatlps posted...
BTW - My brand new (legit') Bytestor Dataferry 32GB memory stick arrived...I configured it and my (fat, Elite/Falcon) 360 said it fell below recommended performance levels and there'd be problems...I am now going to cry. -_-
None of the sticks list read speeds, so I just went with what 1 clown said on his review about the Dataferry reading at 25mb/s.
I will return it and go for a SanDisk...or a Kingston...or PNY. But with no one providing performance figures it's just hit and miss.
...Right, I'm off to start crying now. :'(

Don't worry about it. It said the same thing about the SanDisc drive I bought and it still works just fine.
---
RIP Eddie Guerrero 1967-2005. He will be missed.
#247Skull007o_OPosted 4/19/2014 12:59:01 AMmessage detail
Hey guys

Gonna give GTAV a replay after all this time. Is the trouble of installing both discs in the same HDD still a problem? or did they every fix it?

Thanks in advance
---
FFX-3 teaser:
http://abload.de/img/kciksbombttsvx.gif
#248CraZyChrisZPosted 4/23/2014 8:55:02 AMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#249xXVeNoMzXxPosted 5/2/2014 8:16:34 PMmessage detail
I see that installing the install disc to a USB and then the play disc to the HDD is optimal. But I don't have room on my HDD, would installing the 2 discs on 2 separate USB devices achieve the same effect?

Thanks
#250crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2014 10:52:32 AMmessage detail(edited)
xXVeNoMzXx posted...
I see that installing the install disc to a USB and then the play disc to the HDD is optimal. But I don't have room on my HDD, would installing the 2 discs on 2 separate USB devices achieve the same effect?

Thanks

Theoretically it should give the same result.

I think the basis of the install style is that as long as the two discs are on separate media or Drives (HDD or Flash Drives, doesn't matter) it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Read the OP and it should explain why that's the case.

EDIT: Looking now, It doesn't look I covered the specific why's of this process. The basic version is, that R* Designed the game with a mandatory INSTALL disc to allow for the game to be bigger.

Now the way R* decided to go with Full Optimisation for the game, the made it so the game has 2 separate sources to read assets from. They found in their optimisation process that doing this got the best out of the system amongst the various potential configurations (or they were lazy).

So the game is designed around 2 separate sources to load and read assets from.

This is why installing both to one drive makes it worse than any other configuration (earlier posts in this topic cover the extent of these shortcomings). It basically confuses the code in the game and causes problems despite the fact it should be doing the exact opposite.

This is likely due to laziness but it could be an optimisation quirk. No one's sure but them. But this is why the Games on Demand and Digital versions on both systems act the same way as installing both disks to the same drive.

TL;DR

The trick is to find some way to have each Disks content be read from 2 different sources instead of just 1. The OP covers the smaller details on which is best, but ultimately that's your end goal. How you do that is entirely up to you, and your results may not be typical of what was discussed in the OP. but keep that goal in mind if that's an option you're able to take because that's what you're aiming for for the best experience possible.
---
"it was a slow go" - gmo7897. I'm an expert at the Monster Mash.
GT: Gojirra | PSN: Gojirra102 | steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad