Installing GTA V and You (HDDS, DISCs and USBs).

#31Final Fantasy2389Posted 9/19/2013 10:14:29 AMmessage detail
I haven't had any problems with install on hdd and reading from disc. Some pop-ins but meh. Doesn't affect my enjoyment.

I do wanna test if I can cut down on that though so I'll probably go buy a flash drive. Especially since I have an old 360 and stopping the disc spinning would be good.

Thanks for this.
---
http://bit.ly/YH0AmG
#32crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 10:17:28 AMmessage detail
shooterb52 posted...
I'm still new to this. Why do you put (sticky) in the posts

I requested a sticky, as did other people, and the mods receive these requests and if they deem them to positvely affect or reduce unecessary traffic for this board they put it as sticky which keeps it at the top of the board forever.

FDFHighPunch posted...
How about R* just releases a game in which both discs can be installed to the hard drive without problems

Not sure, the fact that they find it hard to release it for PC or even optimise for the PC means to me that Rockstar might do somethings backwards. I'm assuming this is a side effect of them doing their best to get optimisations out of two very different systems.

however it's been found that people who downloaded a digital version of GTA V for the PS3 are sufferuing the same issues as 360 players who installed both discs on the same storage device so it looks like it's a code issue with how the game is designed to read assets from two different sources rather than one.
---
Spit in the face of life and have a good day out of sheer f****** spite!
GT:Gojirra PSN Gojirra102 steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#33crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 10:34:37 AMmessage detail
N7Spectre707 posted...
FDFHighPunch posted...
How about R* just releases a game in which both discs can be installed to the hard drive without problems

Curb your entitlement please, this topic is about getting the best optimization using extra peripherals. The game works fine playing from disc.

Well said, thank you. Personally I play off the Disc on a slim and I've barely experienced any noticeable pop in. I MIGHT use a flash drive if the difference is big enough, but we're talking relatively small numbers here that maybe a small population would notice far more than most.
---
Spit in the face of life and have a good day out of sheer f****** spite!
GT:Gojirra PSN Gojirra102 steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#34N7Spectre707Posted 9/19/2013 10:44:36 AMmessage detail
crawdad posted...
N7Spectre707 posted...
FDFHighPunch posted...

Curb your entitlement please, this topic is about getting the best optimization using extra peripherals. The game works fine playing from disc.

Well said, thank you. Personally I play off the Disc on a slim and I've barely experienced any noticeable pop in. I MIGHT use a flash drive if the difference is big enough, but we're talking relatively small numbers here that maybe a small population would notice far more than most.

Same here, I am going to pick up a USB just because I'm all about optimization, but in the mean time I've been playing from disc, and despite rare instances of minor pop-up, the game performs fine; better even than some other releases.

Plus the ability to install to the HDD wasn't even an option for a long while when the 360 first came out. It is a nice feature, but the 360 was built to read discs. It's not a travesty to play a game off the disc.
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed"
-MiKe345675
#35creep50Posted 9/19/2013 11:32:41 AMmessage detail
does installing disc 1 into a USB fix the ´´game restarting´´ error that people have been experiencing?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/634491-grand-theft-auto-v/67263093
---
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4
#36LazyDave1Posted 9/19/2013 1:26:36 PMmessage detail
crawdad posted...
Introduction

Install the INSTALL Disc to a USB device and the PLAY disc to the Internal HDD Yields >
Best and most optimal results. HDD has the fastest read speed and the PLAY disc is accessed more frequently while taking advantage of the coding to utilise separate sources for the games assets, resulting in fastest load times and minimal graphical imperfections overall. Most recommended option.

Do we have any evidence for this or is it just anecdotal? I started the game yesterday and saw some pop in during the opening cut scene of Los Santos (I was playing off the disc with the INSTALL disc on the HDD). I tried installing the PLAY disc to a flash drive and the occasional pop in seemed about the same. I assumed it was because I have an older console.

Never thought of switching these install locations like you recommend (INSTALL to flash drive and PLAY to HDD), but is it really the most optimal? Do we have video? I will likely reinstall the discs as you recommend but I'm wondering if anyone finds these improvements noticeable on an older console.
#37ShadowBoxer220Posted 9/19/2013 1:31:16 PMmessage detail
Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there a recommended USB to use for this process?
#38N7Spectre707Posted 9/19/2013 1:42:47 PMmessage detail
LazyDave1 posted...
crawdad posted...
Introduction

Install the INSTALL Disc to a USB device and the PLAY disc to the Internal HDD Yields >
Best and most optimal results. HDD has the fastest read speed and the PLAY disc is accessed more frequently while taking advantage of the coding to utilise separate sources for the games assets, resulting in fastest load times and minimal graphical imperfections overall. Most recommended option.

Do we have any evidence for this or is it just anecdotal? I started the game yesterday and saw some pop in during the opening cut scene of Los Santos (I was playing off the disc with the INSTALL disc on the HDD). I tried installing the PLAY disc to a flash drive and the occasional pop in seemed about the same. I assumed it was because I have an older console.

Never thought of switching these install locations like you recommend (INSTALL to flash drive and PLAY to HDD), but is it really the most optimal? Do we have video? I will likely reinstall the discs as you recommend but I'm wondering if anyone finds these improvements noticeable on an older console.

What kind of flash drive are you using though?
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed"
-MiKe345675
#39N7Spectre707Posted 9/19/2013 1:44:40 PMmessage detail
ShadowBoxer220 posted...
Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there a recommended USB to use for this process?

I did some research and decided to go with the sandisk extreme 3.0 USB 16GB. It's about $30 though, but it's high quality and very high performance. Great for backing up saves as well. It's supposed to be compatible with USB 2.0 as well so there shouldnt be any problems getting it to work on the 360, but I won't have it until saturday.
---
-MiKe345675
#40ShadowBoxer220Posted 9/19/2013 1:57:00 PMmessage detail
N7Spectre707 posted...
ShadowBoxer220 posted...

I did some research and decided to go with the sandisk extreme 3.0 USB 16GB. It's about $30 though, but it's high quality and very high performance. Great for backing up saves as well. It's supposed to be compatible with USB 2.0 as well so there shouldnt be any problems getting it to work on the 360, but I won't have it until saturday.

That was one thing I forgot to ask about also, whether it's worth it to get a USB 3.0 or just go with 2.0. I look forward to your results. Thanks