Installing GTA V and You (HDDS, DISCs and USBs).

#41N7Spectre707Posted 9/19/2013 1:05:05 PMmessage detail
ShadowBoxer220 posted...
N7Spectre707 posted...
ShadowBoxer220 posted...
Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there a recommended USB to use for this process?

I did some research and decided to go with the sandisk extreme 3.0 USB 16GB. It's about $30 though, but it's high quality and very high performance. Great for backing up saves as well. It's supposed to be compatible with USB 2.0 as well so there shouldnt be any problems getting it to work on the 360, but I won't have it until saturday.

That was one thing I forgot to ask about also, whether it's worth it to get a USB 3.0 or just go with 2.0. I look forward to your results. Thanks

Well as I understand it, you can only get 2.0 speeds on the 360. So getting the extreme 3.0 basically means you will get the maximum possible 2.0 performance. However, next gen will be 3.0 compatible, so the sandisk extreme 3.0 will retain its usefulness come next gen as well.
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed"
-MiKe345675
#42DeadlyPurpose18Posted 9/19/2013 1:11:18 PMmessage detail
Please let us know if that 3.0 USB flash drive works with your 360. I didn't think 3.0 and 2.0 were interchangeable.

Good sticky. The whole board was nothing but install questions. I switched it to Playable Disc on HDD and Install Disc to USB flash drive after reading. Works great so far but little if any difference to my untrained eye.

Also, the 360 has a disc drive to run discs. Some people act like it's a travesty if they have to play a game off the disc. It's what the console was made for. Like someone above said, running games off the HDD is a luxury.
---
I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip. - American Psycho
GTA:V and Diablo 3 - So long free time and life in general
#43Ilikemyname420Posted 9/19/2013 1:12:15 PMmessage detail
Two USB drives also works.
#44N7Spectre707Posted 9/19/2013 1:15:03 PMmessage detail
DeadlyPurpose18 posted...
Please let us know if that 3.0 USB flash drive works with your 360. I didn't think 3.0 and 2.0 were interchangeable.

Good sticky. The whole board was nothing but install questions. I switched it to Playable Disc on HDD and Install Disc to USB flash drive after reading. Works great so far but little if any difference to my untrained eye.

Also, the 360 has a disc drive to run discs. Some people act like it's a travesty if they have to play a game off the disc. It's what the console was made for. Like someone above said, running games off the HDD is a luxury.

Normally you would be right about 2.0 and 3.0, but in my research the Sandisk extreme is said to be compatible with both 3.0 AND 2.0, so it *should* work. I'll be sure to confirm once I use it myself, but I don't expect to run into any issues. It was even recommended in an article I read about that was strictly about good USB flash drives to use for the 360, so I'm 99.9% it will work.
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed"
-MiKe345675
#45sal9e3sPosted 9/19/2013 1:27:14 PMmessage detail
N7Spectre707 posted...
DeadlyPurpose18 posted...

Normally you would be right about 2.0 and 3.0, but in my research the Sandisk extreme is said to be compatible with both 3.0 AND 2.0, so it *should* work. I'll be sure to confirm once I use it myself, but I don't expect to run into any issues. It was even recommended in an article I read about that was strictly about good USB flash drives to use for the 360, so I'm 99.9% it will work.

I'm using a 3.0 and it works fine
---
GT - Burrito Diablo
#46xLexLuth0rxPosted 9/19/2013 1:30:11 PMmessage detail
I just got home with a Patriot USB 3.0 flash drive and everything is working fine. I installed the Install disc to the HDD but I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle of swapping the Play disc to the HDD and Install disc to the USB drive.

Has anyone swapped and noticed a difference?
---
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
"And like that, *poof*. He's gone."
#47Alucard_PrimePosted 9/19/2013 1:35:30 PMmessage detail
Superb thread, I love the last choice you put.....I knew about installing the Play disc on a USB drive, but I didn't like that option because my USB 2.0 stick apparently can only read up to 10mb/sec, which seems to me like it's much slower than the DVD drive....but it never occurred to me to do it the other way around with the install disc on the USB stick...cheers.
#48Ilikemyname420Posted 9/19/2013 1:36:38 PMmessage detail
xLexLuth0rx posted...
I just got home with a Patriot USB 3.0 flash drive and everything is working fine. I installed the Install disc to the HDD but I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle of swapping the Play disc to the HDD and Install disc to the USB drive.

Just move it in systems settings it won't take that long. But I doubt there's much of a difference.
#49DeadlyPurpose18Posted 9/19/2013 1:41:42 PMmessage detail
xLexLuth0rx posted...

I swapped after reading this topic. Not a huge hassle, just a bit time consuming. I can't tell any difference in quality, tbh. I'm not a professional and I don't have any way of clocking the speed or anything technical. Just from a gamers standpoint, I can't tell a difference. I didn't really expect to, but for my peace of mind I had to switch them. I'm just really anal about if there's any way to improve something I have then I have to do it.
---
I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip. - American Psycho
GTA:V and Diablo 3 - So long free time and life in general
#50Ilikemyname420Posted 9/19/2013 1:43:01 PMmessage detail
Alucard_Prime posted...
Superb thread, I love the last choice you put.....I knew about installing the Play disc on a USB drive, but I didn't like that option because my USB 2.0 stick apparently can only read up to 10mb/sec, which seems to me like it's much slower than the DVD drive....but it never occurred to me to do it the other way around with the install disc on the USB stick...cheers.

The transfer rate (how fast in can send data) of USB flashdrives can't keep up with the disc, but the seek times (how fast it can find the data) blows it away. So most of the time flashdrives with games will perform better even though it can't keep up with it in terms of transfer rate.