How to steal a Cargobob off mission and post heist

#1WestcoastMikePosted 10/2/2013 1:44:00 PM
As far as I know, there is only one obtainable Cargobob in Fort Zancudo and it only spawns taking off with a pilot already in it. If you know of a vacant Cargobob in the base, please share where. If you need help stealing the Cargobob taking off, I've come up with a pretty easy way to steal it.

The Cargobob spawns at one of the two helipad/parking spots marked with an "H" on the south-east tip of Fort Zancudo. There is usually a parked Barracks truck right next to the helipads.

First, take a helicopter to Fort Z and land it next to the mentioned truck. You're safe in this little area from automatically getting 4 stars unless a patrolling vehicle spots you.

Next, steal the truck parked next to the helipads, and start driving it to the left of where it was parked, past the helipads and towards the opening leading to the runway and rest of the base. The trick to getting the Cargobob before it takes off is getting it to spawn when you want it to. It wont spawn if you're looking the helipads, so just normally drive towards the runway, camera forward.

When you've gotten past the helipad area (marked by fences and the big ass closed hangar on your right) and begin approaching the runway area, you should be good to turn the camera around and see if the Cargobob has spawned at the helipads. You'll likely have your 4 stars, or are just about to get them right about now.

If the Cargobob has spawned, your job now is to leave the truck and scare the pilot out of the chopper. To do this, take any automatic gun and fire away at the windows of the chopper where the pilot is. The windows are bullet-proof, which is why we're making him flee instead of just killing him out of the heli. You're trying to do this quick enough before the chopper leaves the ground.

When the pilot leaves the Cargobob, steal it (duh). Getting out alive wont be easy, but if you did this right and quick enough, there shouldn't be many soldiers around you during take off.

Taking off you have a couple of options:
1) Attempt to lose your wanted level. This will be tough with enemy choppers shooting you; possibly making the Cargobob crap out before you can get away. It's possible to lose the heat though -- I recommend heading west towards the ocean, flying high and avoiding heli sight cones.

2) Make a run for Trevor's airfield with the cops. I haven't done it this way, but since Trevor's airfield isn't far from Fort Z, you could probably land the Cargobob on his helipad and save it with the heat on you. You might die, but you might also keep the Cargobob.

If it seems a little complicated, it's actually pretty easy, with escaping being the hardest part. Some tips for this would be:

- Using quick save for easy retries. I've heard of exploiting quick save to repair vehicles, but I haven't tried it. Feel free to try it though if you need to.

- You can probably get the Cargobob to spawn on foot. I just prefer using the barracks truck.

- When shooting the Cargobob to scare the pilot, use something weak like the micro-smg and try not to shoot more than you need to. The less damaged the chopper is for your escape, the better.

- I believe you might be able to kill the pilot before he gets in the Cargobob if you can spawn it just right. I haven't done it, but it's an alternative to scaring him out and damaging the chopper.

- If you leave the base immediately after hijack, ground missiles and buzzards shouldn't be a problem. It's guys hanging out of Mavericks shooting at you that are trouble.

If there's another way you know about stealing it, feel free to share. If there's an easier Cargobob to steal, then this is mostly pointless, haha. I know you could just buy a Cargobob, but it's way more fun doing your own little heist to get it. Good luck.
---
Still skating freestyle
http://youtu.be/3jtn9M2e03c
#2WestcoastMike(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 1:52:27 PM
Oh, and this is probably easiest to do with Trevor thanks to his special ability. That, and you'll need him if you plan on saving the Cargobob at his airfield. Michael's special may help shooting the chopper, but I've never used him while doing this so I'm not sure.
---
Still skating freestyle
#3Laughing_CatPosted 10/2/2013 1:56:42 PM
Even easier, buy one off the net.
---
Kifflom, Brother Brother.
#4WestcoastMike(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 2:04:22 PM
Easier, but not funner (word?), and a waste of 2mil.

Ehhh, okay not really a waste, since you get so much money in this game anyway. But buy one? That's no fun.
---
Still skating freestyle
#5TucoPosted 10/2/2013 2:33:04 PM
I have had the cargobob available at Trevor's air strip since right after the sub stealing mission. I can choose between it and the frogger. Is it not there for everyone?
#6WestcoastMike(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 8:38:36 PM
Tuco posted...
I have had the cargobob available at Trevor's air strip since right after the sub stealing mission. I can choose between it and the frogger. Is it not there for everyone?

I definitely didn't get to keep the Cargobob after the heist prep mission. All I've got to choose from at Trevor's is the Frogger since I haven't purchased any other helicopters. Stealing it from Fort Zancudo on my own time is my only way of getting it for free. Thankfully aircraft get saved even after you lose/destroy them, granted you don't switch them up with the left D-pad.
---
Still skating freestyle
#7Solid Substance101Posted 10/2/2013 9:17:05 PM
After quite a few attempts, it worked. Thanks TC.
---
NASA CLAIMS WE CAN SEE 12 MILES OF TETHER.
GT: Father Baptism
#8TypeONegative90Posted 10/4/2013 11:10:02 PM
Tuco posted...

Same, but everytime I go to Trevor's air strip, the cargo bob spawns on its side & you can't do anything about it.
#9LiqiudusSnakePosted 10/4/2013 11:22:53 PM
Nice
---
When you see me quote someone with no other text, that's when your topic wasn't even good enough to warrant me using my keyboard.