how do you make flight school less sucky?

#1dragonhollow87Posted 10/20/2013 11:53:56 AM
on the last class and I'm smh at it.

100 flying skill. i dislike it a lot. any tips?
---
Xbox live GT-dragonhollow87
\(*o*)/
#2Erik_PPosted 10/20/2013 12:07:06 PM
What's the last one?
---
Signatures go here
#3elduende05Posted 10/20/2013 12:07:45 PM
Practice helps a lot. Spend enough time flying around in different helicopters and planes in this game and you'll really start to learn their limitations and capabilities.

The tutorials at the beginning of each flight school section actually helped me a lot, especially for the knifing stuff. I had tried doing it earlier, but didn't realize I could use the rudder to help keep myself aloft.

Is there any spot in particular you're having trouble with? "Earn Your Wings" has you do everything and also perform sharp turns and changes between knife, inverted, and normal flight, so it's hard to guess what's giving you the most trouble.

I can give you a couple general tips:

1) For knifes, it's been a while but I'm pretty sure that you can do them in either orientation despite the fact that each icon has a specific orientation.
2) You can fly through yellow waypoints in any orientation, so you can actually begin flying inverted or knifing one waypoint early in order to give yourself a bit of time to stabilize before hitting a blue / green waypoint.
#4dragonhollow87(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 12:13:21 PM
elduende05 posted...
Practice helps a lot. Spend enough time flying around in different helicopters and planes in this game and you'll really start to learn their limitations and capabilities.

The tutorials at the beginning of each flight school section actually helped me a lot, especially for the knifing stuff. I had tried doing it earlier, but didn't realize I could use the rudder to help keep myself aloft.

Is there any spot in particular you're having trouble with? "Earn Your Wings" has you do everything and also perform sharp turns and changes between knife, inverted, and normal flight, so it's hard to guess what's giving you the most trouble.

I can give you a couple general tips:

1) For knifes, it's been a while but I'm pretty sure that you can do them in either orientation despite the fact that each icon has a specific orientation.
2) You can fly through yellow waypoints in any orientation, so you can actually begin flying inverted or knifing one waypoint early in order to give yourself a bit of time to stabilize before hitting a blue / green waypoint.

this is helpful. i just passed (i skipped like 2-3 check points so i got silver). thank you for the tips, much appreciated elduende05
---
Xbox live GT-dragonhollow87
\(*o*)/
#5elduende05Posted 10/20/2013 12:32:40 PM
Congratulations :)
#6LaharPosted 10/20/2013 5:23:41 PM
In case someone searches for this in future, you can fly around level and simply knife/invert for that one second as you pass through those checkpoints.
---
I said runt.
#7WebstedgePosted 10/20/2013 6:09:58 PM
just do a few flying races online I did when I came back flight school was easy
---
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/761886532.gif
#8Ferrari_CarrPosted 10/20/2013 6:13:40 PM
Flight school was actually very easy for me. Got gold medals on everything as both Franklin and Michael.

At first I was groaning and dreading the idea of even taking flight school, because I hate flying planes and helicopters in this game, but it went by very smoothly and relatively painless.
#9EarlJensonPosted 10/21/2013 1:39:09 AM
I have no problems with the planes, but the helicopters drive me nuts.

That one mission where you carry a container with a Cargobob and have to drop the container onto the back of a truck... it took me like 15 minutes to get the thing lined up right. I actually broke the container and failed the mission a couple times too.

The helis are in dire need of a SA-style "click thumbstick to hover in place".

Any advice for those?
#10elduende05Posted 10/21/2013 10:28:49 AM
The two helicopter "training" events are probably the hardest for me, too. You can't really waste much time, even on the regular course. Knowing where the path takes you ahead of time helps a bit, but you probably just need practice to learn their limitations. On the plus side, you can gold medal at least the first one even if you miss a single checkpoint, so you may be able to skip whichever one is giving you the most trouble.

Also, when you're landing, ignore the guy when he says "bring it down softly". You can slam the chopper down onto the ground pretty hard without breaking it as long as the skids impact first. Once grounded you can adjust yourself over to the actual target much easier and then come to a full stop.