That "holiday gift" download causes loading saves to freeze

#1LancetJadesPosted 12/24/2013 10:49:04 PM
So as long as I'm online, it seems that "holiday gift downloaded" thing prevents me from manually loading any of my saves. It freezes on the first frame of the loading screen a couple of seconds into the load.

I can still load saves by selectively making them the most recent, so they are auto-loaded when I first start the game, and by cutting internet connectivity to my 360 all files load fine, but this is still ridiculous.

Is the "holiday gift" a social club thing, like the Elegy? What does it even do?
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#2Gaara_fan151Posted 12/24/2013 10:53:21 PM
Holiday gift, given you by Rockstar: "It doesn't allow to load your saves anymore so you can have a nice and out of this game holiday. We care about our customers."

R* spends more time adding glitches to this game than fixing them, LOL.
---
"O Admonishing melody, arise in the of Necromancer. Mystic Cage"
#3CarcerCityHoodPosted 12/25/2013 12:21:05 AM
I can confirm this. Same thing is happening to me. The holiday download happened on the 24th but as soon as Christmas hit 12:01, my manual saves quit working.
#4LancetJades(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2013 12:40:41 AM(edited)
After some testing, it seems any save that either will receive the holiday download, OR HAS ALREADY RECEIVED IT will not load manually.

I reconnected the internet, loaded the game, and waited for the "holiday gift download" message to appear. Then I saved, disconnected internet, and tried to load. Froze.

So I turned off my 360, turned it back on (internet still off), and loaded up the game again. Tried loading that save with the holiday gift, and it froze. Tried loading other files, no problem.

It seems like Gaara_fan151's post might not have been too far from the mark.
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#5GMaster78Posted 12/25/2013 12:29:57 PM
Thank god its not just me experiencing this. I have tried 5 different load slots and all have the same results.
#6LancetJades(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2013 2:44:36 PM(edited)
It's still causing my game to freeze when manually loading saves. I was hoping this "gift" would be on the 25th only, but no such luck, apparently. I hope it isn't forever, or else I'll never be able to play single player while online again unless they patch it.

EDIT: What the hell IS this "gift," anyways? All I see is talk about the online holiday things, like snow and the Christmas clothes, not single player. Does it do anything at all? Or is it just some useless download that only serves to destroy my ability to play single player while signed into XBL?

---
Lost, but not forgotten.
#7Duffy12323Posted 12/26/2013 3:37:05 PM
I'm glad I never updated this game..
#8MrDummyPosted 12/26/2013 5:18:33 PM
LancetJades posted...
It's still causing my game to freeze when manually loading saves. I was hoping this "gift" would be on the 25th only, but no such luck, apparently. I hope it isn't forever, or else I'll never be able to play single player while online again unless they patch it.

EDIT: What the hell IS this "gift," anyways? All I see is talk about the online holiday things, like snow and the Christmas clothes, not single player. Does it do anything at all? Or is it just some useless download that only serves to destroy my ability to play single player while signed into XBL?

Agreed 100% and I'm sick of it as well. Were is the SP love...

MrD
---
Currently Playing: Grand Theft Auto Five
I'm keeping my 360 (Pro) until it Bricks!
#9Red_Hour_GlassPosted 12/26/2013 11:34:31 PM
LancetJades posted...
So as long as I'm online, it seems that "holiday gift downloaded" thing prevents me from manually loading any of my saves. It freezes on the first frame of the loading screen a couple of seconds into the load.

I can still load saves by selectively making them the most recent, so they are auto-loaded when I first start the game, and by cutting internet connectivity to my 360 all files load fine, but this is still ridiculous.

Hey I just want to say thanks for figuring this out, I was going crazy trying to reload older save files and not being able to because of the screen always freezing. For a second there I thought that my saves where corrupted (which really made me angry), I mean, I have put way too much time and effort on this game just to have to start all over again. I couldn't figure out why was my game freezing all of the sudden until I read your post. I just deleted the game update (I'm on Xbox 360 by the way), started the game and chose "Cancel" so that it wouldn't download the update therefore kicking me offline so that I can see if I can play and reload older saves without the freezing loading screen and also so that it wouldn't download the "Gift" and it worked. I was able to load older saves without the screen freezing. You're right, the "Gift" Rockstar forced upon us is causing the issue of the loading screen freezing, it's not allowing access to older save files or to replay missions either (since after the mission is over the game loads your current story again which it doesn't do since it freezes). Hopefully Rockstar gets rid of the "Gift" and hopefully that gets rid of the issue. I want to be able to be online when I play my game you know, even if all I'm playing is the single player. Thanks again for figuring this out.
#10LancetJades(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 2:25:41 PM
I don't suppose if anyone knows whether the "holiday gift" is still active or not, do they?
---
Lost, but not forgotten.