wow I suck at flying helicopters, any tips? (minor spoilers)

#1GoldenSWarriorsPosted 1/4/2014 1:07:09 AM
For flight school, the very first helicopter mission doesn't even tell you how to fly it, it has you immediately run a super-long course. Bronze medal was like 3:45, and I got about 7 minutes.

When I did submarine mission and had to pick up the submarine with the helicopter, it took me about 10 minutes trying just to hover over the submarine, and I crashed and died 3 times.

so yeah, any tips would be useful.
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
http://i.minus.com/iyd6J984Oz8cy.gif
#2ggj1987Posted 1/4/2014 3:27:39 AM
I had trouble flying the helicopters in the beginning too. It helps to do Dom's missions as quickly as you can because helicopters will spawn at 2 or 3 locations in the city. You can steal them to cover large distances more quickly and at the same time learn how to fly one without having to worry about losing a mission. You can also collect spaceship parts and/or letter scraps with helicopters as much as possible. I did this and when I tried the heli courses again I got gold without any problems.

You just have to fly helicopters more often to get better at flying them.
#3Safer_777Posted 1/4/2014 5:51:08 AM
Helicopters suck big time. Doesn't matter if you have 100 skill too, they just suck. I beat the game and every mission that had helicopters was a pain in the ass. Just deal with it. The only think I can say is to never let go of the RT button and use LB and RB to turn around. Also if you keep pressing RT button and hold up the analog stick that is the way to move forward fast.
---
Why do we exist?What happens when we stop existing?
#4cifer520Posted 1/4/2014 7:21:39 AM
Flying is very easy, you'll get the hang of it quickly. Now landing and picking stuff up with the Cargobob is a bit trickier. For landing, pull back hard on the analog and press left trigger at the same time. This will bring you to a hover. Now you want to press left trigger lightly as you turn with the bumpers so you're spiraling downward slowly. When you get close to the ground you can give it a mix of gas and brake, lightly pressing them, so you don't go down too hard. I'm not the best person to ask for Cargobob advice, because I've seen people who can grab stuff with one swoop so it must be a high level of coordination. But you can use the same basic landing tricks to get low over a vehicle.
#5Tony_CapicolaPosted 1/4/2014 8:21:34 PM
Safer_777 posted...
Helicopters suck big time. Doesn't matter if you have 100 skill too, they just suck.

Sounds more like the problem is your piloting skills suck.
They are wobbly, they are hard to steer, and they dance all over the place. But once you figure it out, they're relatively easy to fly, hover, and land.
All you really have to do it get better at doing it. The best way to do that is find a spawn location (Google will help tremendously) , grab one, and just keep flying until you have it down. After that, they're a breeze.
#6dave_is_slickPosted 1/6/2014 4:42:16 AM
Helicopters are f***ing awful to pilot. There's no reason they should be as loose as they are.
---
Sigs are overrated.
#7MinunSSPosted 1/6/2014 7:12:04 AM
I went from being an awful pilot to being a good-enough pilot by doing a crapload of plane and heli races in GTA:Online.
---
Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update ___ Somebody learned.
#8Tony_CapicolaPosted 1/6/2014 1:57:04 PM
"it sucks!" = "I don't want to take the time to get better at it."
Complaining about it isn't going to do anything to help you fly better.
#9ggj1987Posted 1/6/2014 2:24:22 PM
Tony_Capicola posted...

Exactly. I hated the helicopters in the beginning too, but I love them now. I got all the collectibles by using the helicopters and by doing that you can learn how to fly them without having to worry about time, checkpoints or mission goals. I use them all the time when I need to cover large distances and I'm in the city. I just drive to one of Dom's helicopters and steal them.
#10dave_is_slickPosted 1/6/2014 3:50:47 PM
Tony_Capicola posted...

I assume you have proof? Because I much prefer flying to driving.
---
Sigs are overrated.