GTA V almost the best selling game of all time

#1spacedeletePosted 1/6/2014 6:59:12 AM
http://www.examiner.com/article/gta-5-sales-near-all-time-record

it looks like it will become the best selling game of all time in a matter of a few months. The current record is set by Mario Kart Wii with 34 million.

thats unbelievable and thats without a PC or next gen version that is going to happen this year. Whats amazing is that it isn't even the best GTA game but still a brilliant game.

to think how far this franchise has come from a top down game that almost got cancelled into the biggest franchise beating the likes of massive franchises such as Call of duty, Halo and Mario.

Can't wait for the next gen version to release.
#2fehuqPosted 1/6/2014 7:09:38 AM
True, although I'd say GTA III brought it the majority of the way... that was the leap. All the versions since then have just been steps.
#3spacedelete(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2014 7:19:04 AM
fehuq posted...
True, although I'd say GTA III brought it the majority of the way... that was the leap. All the versions since then have just been steps.

well theres only so many times you can innovate. the future games just added up on the innovation such as more weapons, activities, better graphics etc.

i tried replaying GTA3 the week before GTAV released and it was shocking how outdated the game was. you could only move the camera in first person view for example.
#4TheVillageIdiotPosted 1/6/2014 10:08:39 AM
Yespacedelete posted...

i tried replaying GTA3 the week before GTAV released and it was shocking how outdated the game was. you could only move the camera in first person view for example.

Yeah, I remember getting San Andreas and finding out how you could control the camera while driving. Jackpot! No more quick tapping L2-R2 right when I get in the car to center the view!

Also, in hindsight the targeting in GTA3 was plain awful and there wasn't a map in the pause menu, right? That is the only one of the PS2 era I never did get 100% on and that includes LCS and VCS. Without being able to pause and see exactly where the marker for patients were kept me from ever completing the Ambulance missions and I didn't even bother with doing everything else after giving up on them.

Still a great game for its time, but when I want to replay an older one now it is always either VC or SA depending on my mood. I actually gave away my GTA3, LCS, and VCS discs a while back.
#5Roy_DogsiPosted 1/6/2014 12:54:10 PM
Blah blah blah Squaresoft did it better blah blah blah

Lol but seriously, history does repeat itself. I don't think GTA saved R* from closing down, but one sequel on the ps2 throwing millions more fans at them is similar.

But after some more great sequels after FFVII, the franchise has just... Changed too much. I hope that doesn't happen with GTA in the future.

*knocks on wood paneling of modded Regia*
---

*If you argue correctly, you're never wrong.*
#6jude1974Posted 1/6/2014 5:57:27 PM
"thats unbelievable and thats without a PC or next gen version that is going to happen this year."

Pc version is coming, there is no "next gen version" for this game outside of that.
#7spacedelete(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 12:23:50 PM
jude1974 posted...
"thats unbelievable and thats without a PC or next gen version that is going to happen this year."

pc version is coming, there is no "next gen version" for this game outside of that.

a next gen version is releasing and you would be a fool to think otherwise. Theres around 7 million next gen consoles *sold* so thats already a decent userbase to buy the game. At the end of the day money talks.

if Rockstar want to maximise the sales of GTA V next gen version then they need to release as soon as possible as once more next gen games release it will lower sales.

my guess is around the time when Watchdogs release date which would be ironic because the reason it was delayed was because of the current gen version of GTA V.
#8StonedwolfedPosted 1/7/2014 12:40:59 PM
I'm thinking they'll do some mission packs (like Lost & Ballad) and will do the Next Gen version around that release time.

Let a few more new units get sold first, otherwise they'll suffer the PGR 3 fate of being too early and the copies being 3 each by the time most people get the machine.
---
ME1 = A New Hope | ME2 = Empire Strikes Back | ME3 = Star Wars Christmas Special
#9B0vrilPosted 1/7/2014 12:45:01 PM
spacedelete posted...
a next gen version is releasing and you would be a fool to think otherwise.

There has been zero announcement, so it is absolutely not definitive at all.

I recall people calling others a fool for thinking Red Dead wouldn't come to the PC... but here we are.

spacedelete posted...
if Rockstar want to maximise the sales of GTA V next gen version then they need to release as soon as possible as once more next gen games release it will lower sales.

If it's coming out, it's not coming out soon. I would be fairly surprised to see it this year.

If any develop is unpredictable it's Rockstar.
#10jude1974Posted 1/7/2014 7:50:36 PM
"a next gen version is releasing and you would be a fool to think otherwise. Theres around 7 million next gen consoles *sold* so thats already a decent userbase to buy the game. At the end of the day money talks.

my guess is around the time when Watchdogs release date which would be ironic because the reason it was delayed was because of the current gen version of GTA V"

That's a cute argument and all, and I stress the "cute" part since you felt it necessary to say that anyone who disagrees with your false info and non-facts and pulled out of the thin air hypothesis is a "fool"...lol

You can quote all stats you want but console sales have zero bearing on what they were doing with GTA V. It not only would have been announced LONG AGO, but that game alone would have been a console seller if it was being released for them.

Add to that, the difference between the newer consoles and the current ones being absolutely minimal, and current or updated pc's already surpassing them...you would be the absolute fool to think that they have been keeping it a secret all this time and were going to release for the new consoles all along...lol I mean it's a good try and all, and I'm sure you sounded like you knew what you were talking about to someone, but you need some work before you go spouting business models and strategies for Rockstar.