This game has a weird balance between hand-holding and leaving you on your own.

#1Ernst_JungerPosted 2/16/2014 12:18:36 AM
The side missions let you plan. I never received half of the bounty hunter follow-up e-mails. For assassination missions, you're put on a clock and it's up to you to figure out what to do. Some stranger missions can resolve a couple of ways. Grab aircraft or parachutes for the first time, and instructions -- if any -- flash so quickly that you need to look them up or use trial and error. Then I play missions, and it's constant messages and mommy warnings for "break the window to escape" or warnings that you're too far from teammates whom you dared to take the high ground to protect or foolishly thought there might be a better way to proceed.

The money system seems odd. Pull off heists to make money, yet by the time you have real cash flow, and given the stock market advantages for waiting to pull off assassinations, what's the point of being a millionaire post game? You don't need millions of dollars to free roam, and buying properties at that point doesn't give you anything except a statistic.

I get the logical point of living well off of ill-gotten games, but once you finish the core and side missions, there's nothing to do but drive around and randomly shoot at pedestrians.
#2Milly manPosted 2/16/2014 5:31:14 AM
Ernst_Junger posted...
...but once you finish the core and side missions, there's nothing to do but drive around and randomly shoot at pedestrians.

Isn't that what everyone just does after finishing a GTA game? That and crash cars / planes.
---
herp a derp a flerp
~ if you take anything I post seriously then I will kill you ~
#3SterlingFoxPosted 2/16/2014 1:09:44 PM
I think everyone has forgotten just what San Andreas, Vice City, and GTA III were like in their fit of nostalgia.

There wasn't anything to do in those games after the main story and all the side missions. I don't know why that's a complaint. Its literally like "Damn, man! After I beat the entire game, it doesn't keep going!"

Well no ****. That's what beating a game means. Its like complaining that after beating all the levels is Super Mario World that it doesn't keep going.
---
Underwater Spartans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUhjsL2tOkA
#4B0vrilPosted 2/16/2014 3:14:34 PM(edited)
I defiantly agree about the on & off hand holding in the game design.

For the most part the story missions really lead the players from A to B, but then some of the dynamic missions can be really rough on the player, with multiple enemies jumping out at the player with little chance for the player to react at all. RDR was kind of like this as well.

Another point is in how the game is very much designed for use with auto-aim & yet shooting whilst driving is still a complete nightmare with no assistance at all & the A.I. are as efficient at ever.

And, yea the classic Rockstar instruction box in the top left corner that tells you what to do while you are supposed to be doing it is still annoying.
#5EarlJensonPosted 2/17/2014 4:34:26 AM
Worse, when you first get in the JB 700... the special controls for it don't exist until the game informs you what they are.

Want to drop those spike strips right away? Too bad! Looks like you'll have to deal with an annoying passenger and some hostile pursuers for a while, LOL! Good luck with the "Not a Scratch" thing :)
#6krazykiwikidPosted 2/17/2014 10:39:25 AM
SterlingFox posted...
I think everyone has forgotten just what San Andreas, Vice City, and GTA III were like in their fit of nostalgia.

There wasn't anything to do in those games after the main story and all the side missions. I don't know why that's a complaint. Its literally like "Damn, man! After I beat the entire game, it doesn't keep going!"

Well no ****. That's what beating a game means. Its like complaining that after beating all the levels is Super Mario World that it doesn't keep going.

Uhh.... SA and even VC had a TON of more activities, and side missions than what GTA5 does.
#7cifer520Posted 2/17/2014 12:44:11 PM
The money system is very odd, there's nothing I wanted to spend on besides weapons and car mods. And that doesn't last very long because we can only keep up to 6 vehicles for each character. Maybe they didn't put insurance in the story mode because they were hoping we'd keep losing our cars and having to spend more money on new ones.
#8wmc128Posted 2/17/2014 4:18:32 PM
You get insurance on the Pegasus vehicles found at your hanger,dock,and helipad. they respawn for free when they get destroyed.
---
Honor Never Dies... unless you are among the thieves.
#9debolt1369Posted 2/17/2014 8:36:19 PM
The money post-game completion is only odd if you wait until then to do the assassinations. I did it because I wanted to have billions for each character. I bought every property, clothing item, a Tank for Trevor, and I will get some sports cars to mod for Franklin off that super car website (since he does it for free). I won't ever run out of money, but that's not the point. The point is, after pulling off "The Big Score", you're able to live comfortably until you retire.

You keep going after that (if you don't have the assassinations and the stock market for w/e reason) because you're looking for ways to "legally" flush your money into and go from crimelord to successful business man. And that's what the ultimate point of the game is, IMHO. I can look back at my game, and say I've legitimately become a made man - the movie producer owns three movie theatres, the gangbanger owns a countryclub, his fam's towing yard, and his own chop shop, and the meth head has his dream; he can setup that arms trafficking ring he always wanted and he even has two different airstrips to do it from.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, everyone has accomplished the goals in life they set out to accomplish - what more do they need to do for you?
---
When you walk with the Aces & Eights...you never ride alone!
#10SterlingFoxPosted 2/17/2014 8:47:09 PM
krazykiwikid posted...
SterlingFox posted...

Uhh.... SA and even VC had a TON of more activities, and side missions than what GTA5 does.

No one was talking about the number of missions, we were talking about what happens after your finish them.

People complain about GTAV even though its the same as GTA game in the past. Once you finish all the missions, you're left to just simple little minigames or running around blowing things up and killing people.
---
Underwater Spartans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUhjsL2tOkA