This game has a weird balance between hand-holding and leaving you on your own.

#11cifer520Posted 2/17/2014 9:33:30 PM
debolt1369 posted...
...I won't ever run out of money, but that's not the point. The point is, after pulling off "The Big Score", you're able to live comfortably until you retire...I guess what I'm trying to say is, everyone has accomplished the goals in life they set out to accomplish - what more do they need to do for you?

These properties are essentially props for a role play, and there's nothing wrong with that but this is an action game, they should have had more functionality like Trevor's drug smuggling hangar. Golf course is nice but it's not worth 150 mill, gameplay wise. I know it's not about that though, the prices are supposed to be realistic in this game.
#12krazykiwikidPosted 2/17/2014 10:57:12 PM
SterlingFox posted...
krazykiwikid posted...
SterlingFox posted...
I think everyone has forgotten just what San Andreas, Vice City, and GTA III were like in their fit of nostalgia.

There wasn't anything to do in those games after the main story and all the side missions. I don't know why that's a complaint. Its literally like "Damn, man! After I beat the entire game, it doesn't keep going!"

Well no ****. That's what beating a game means. Its like complaining that after beating all the levels is Super Mario World that it doesn't keep going.

Uhh.... SA and even VC had a TON of more activities, and side missions than what GTA5 does.

No one was talking about the number of missions, we were talking about what happens after your finish them.

People complain about GTAV even though its the same as GTA game in the past. Once you finish all the missions, you're left to just simple little minigames or running around blowing things up and killing people.

Yeah that is a pretty dumb argument. After you finish the game it's finished and there's no more missions to do...... Just like when you get to the end of other games and defeat the boss then the game finishes. What's up wid dat?!?!

Essentially there's more to do after you beat GTA than almost any other game. With that said SA still had a TON more activities than GTAV. ;)
#13debolt1369Posted 2/18/2014 12:31:57 AM
cifer520 posted...
debolt1369 posted...
...I won't ever run out of money, but that's not the point. The point is, after pulling off "The Big Score", you're able to live comfortably until you retire...I guess what I'm trying to say is, everyone has accomplished the goals in life they set out to accomplish - what more do they need to do for you?

These properties are essentially props for a role play, and there's nothing wrong with that but this is an action game, they should have had more functionality like Trevor's drug smuggling hangar. Golf course is nice but it's not worth 150 mill, gameplay wise. I know it's not about that though, the prices are supposed to be realistic in this game.

Is GTA V really an action game? It has action elements, but it very much feels way more story-driven to me. Much moreso than previous iterations of the franchise.

The Golf Course is the single highest grossing property in the game. And at ~$250k/week, it pays for itself eventually, albeit slowly if all you're doing is sitting on resort revenue. So yes, I'd argue those properties DO have the functionality of Mackenzie Hangar. They give you one mission/week (the hangar with one air and one land mission, but they're different enough). Pitchers will give you one short job a week, as will the rockband bar, and the cab company. The Scrapyard, Sonar Docks, and Towing Yard all give you missions whenever you want them. Are they repetitive? Sure. Is that a problem? Not for me (to be fair, I grinded about $30k on cab fares before my jewel heist). But I can say I've enjoyed all of these side missions, so long as I don't have to fly.
---
When you walk with the Aces & Eights...you never ride alone!
#14EarlJensonPosted 2/18/2014 12:32:13 AM
SterlingFox posted...
There wasn't anything to do in those games after the main story and all the side missions. I don't know why that's a complaint.

The point isn't that there's nothing to do after you've done everything.
The point is that "everything" encompasses quite a bit more in past games, particularly SA. And the complaint also isn't aimed at that "everything" in particular. It's aimed at what to do after the story - and ONLY the story - is complete.

But frankly I think the comparison is deceptive because people aren't completing just the story as they play. They're probably doing a bunch of Stranger missions too, or even doing all of the Stranger missions as they appear.

The difference, I suppose, is that the Strangers are explicitly placed on the map. Sort of a "HEY PLAYER, DO THIS" sign. Where other additional content - like vigilante or firetruck stuff - was less overt (and more annoying or difficult), and so players were more likely to leave it for end-of-game activity.

TLDR:
The amount of content in GTA 5 is really nothing to complain about.
#15cifer520Posted 2/18/2014 2:23:09 AM
It is indeed an action game, some action games have stronger stories than most but gunfighting and high speed driving make up the bulk of the game play. And I didn't mean revenue when I said functionality, the property missions are sort of useless unless you buy them during the story play through, because before the big score you need cash flow. But if we get such a large payout at the end, you would think these properties are designed to keep us occupied for a long time after the story ends, because car collecting is so limited and risky. I guess my biggest problem with this is that I didn't like the story that much and I greatly prefer to free roam, so replaying missions is not very fun except for a select few.
#16debolt1369Posted 2/18/2014 8:49:08 PM
cifer520 posted...
It is indeed an action game, some action games have stronger stories than most but gunfighting and high speed driving make up the bulk of the game play. And I didn't mean revenue when I said functionality, the property missions are sort of useless unless you buy them during the story play through, because before the big score you need cash flow. But if we get such a large payout at the end, you would think these properties are designed to keep us occupied for a long time after the story ends, because car collecting is so limited and risky. I guess my biggest problem with this is that I didn't like the story that much and I greatly prefer to free roam, so replaying missions is not very fun except for a select few.

But it isn't obligatory to do all that action (i.e., you can suicide through the game and skip parts just to get to the next bit of story). Unlike the previous iterations, that is.

How're you buying all these lucrative properties doing story progression? You don't get many jobs that offer you cash like in other iterations. Even at the end of the game, sure you get around 26 mill or so, but that's not even enough to buy everything (the ten cent theatre is 20 mill alone). So by the way the game looks at it, it assumes a player wants to buy the properties (for 100% completion) so these properties give you someway to keep occupied until you buy the rest of them. Some will work the market and the assassinations, and that's okay too (I did, and I am enjoying the lowest sum of money on one of my characters being 904 mill) but that doesn't have to be played like that.

I don't really get what you mean by "car collecting is so limited". Can you elaborate on that? I understand storage space is low (which is a shame, I agree) but how is it "risky"? I mean, you're boosting someone's ride, there is always some element of risk involved in capture or a hospital visit - it's like that in real life too. So what is it you actually mean to this end?
---
When you walk with the Aces & Eights...you never ride alone!
#17cifer520Posted 2/19/2014 10:27:43 AM(edited)
You can't buy all the properties until the game is over which is why I thought it was weird that they don't pay you very much. They pay you money that would be useful before the final missions, I guess they're good for a safety net if you end up rampaging through your funds (but people rarely save after a huge rampage). This is why more of the property maintenance missions should have been full sidequests.

Car collecting is risky because we, for some unimaginable reason, do not have Mors Mutual Insurance in the single player. I don't want to know what crossed the R* employees mind when they decided this, they must have been in a drug induced state of mind. Anyway I have little desire to spend thousands of dollars on a car if I know I'll never get it back if something happens to it. But I do anyway because I have more money than I'll be able to come close to spending.

Also you can make 2.1 billion off the stock market if you invest the entire payout from the Big Score. What the heck am I gonna do with all that? I could buy like 100 golf courses. We need more assets and properties added to this game, and houses, not more businesses.

Edit: the mission skipping doesn't make this not an action game, it just means you're skipping all the action. I highly doubt R* intended for it to be exploited through suicides.