Advice for dating Doug (and others maybe?) Possible spoilers!

#1Karin18Posted 10/22/2013 9:09:42 AM
Sorry for those of you who have seen my multitude of posts in other topics and especially those including Doug. I'm sure I'm a nuisance >< but I'm having a hard time with this... D:

So for those of you who don't know, I was hoping to pursue Doug. Although I was torn between him and Vishnal at the start, the more I talk to him the more I was like "Eeeee! Must have! DX" So I'm leaning more towards him but I don't want to give up on Vish quite yet cuz I do like him and he seems like a sweetie <3

(Really hoping some girls are here lol DX)

I just got Dylas and haven't quite gotten Leon yet so I could he even more torn lol But we'll deal with Doug and Vish for now.

So my problem is that I just got Dolce and Doug is already capped at three LP. The rest of the villagers (aside from the new ones) are just getting to 4. So I'm worried he's going to fall behind everyone if I don't go through the story soon.

I was hoping it'd be quick and I could blitz through and get him. But I got my butt handed to me at the Yokmir Caves. So I decided to come here and ask if I was close and if I could just run through the dungeons to finish faster. I was told I still had an arc to go :(

So my first question (pleassse answer this) is how far exactly into the overall story is the point I can finally get Doug off his 3 LP cap and into my party? I was told it's after the 2nd arc but I'm not too sure what designates an "arc" (I think I'm still in the first since I'm at the caves). I heard there are 3 arcs but are they the same length? Like can I really not get Doug until I'm 2/3 the way through the story? D: Or is the third arc longer and the first two arcs only encompass maybe 20% of the full thing? I just want to know if I'm close ;~; But I DO want to take my time and enjoy the story so if it's a short blitz I won't mind. But if it's a long way and truly 60-70% through the story I may have to force myself to be patient :(

That being said, if it IS a long wait I suppose I'll check out my options in the meantime. I've heard you can date (confess I guess) to multiple people. So my plan was to maybe go through year one "dating" Vish so I can still enjoy the romantic festivals then hopefully by year 2 Doug will be ready and I can try him. Is this okay/safe? The main thing I worry about is somehow triggering the proposal thing for Vish when I'm not ready. So if I stay within 9 LP with him will I he safe?

Regarding LP in general. It seems to go up pretty fast (I'm barely end of spring and everyone is pretty much at 4). So does it slow down at higher levels? If it stays fast then Doug is going to be SUPER far behind. That also worries me D: I suppose I can be a recluse and stop talking to people but that's no fun ><

So...those are my general questions. Has anyone married Doug? I think he's popular so I'm assuming so. But how do you juggle it with everything else? (As in him being so far behind everyone else and not available till later).

Also is he a sweetie? I've heard Vish is a sweet boyfriend/husband so how is Doug? I'm not into cocky or Tsundere (like Leon and Dylas, respectively I'm guessing...though like I said I don't know them so I shouldn't judge lol) so what is his general personality?

Sorry for all the questions but thank you so much ahead of time! ^^
---
Black Mage: Dammit fighter, White Mage doesn't like me because you're a rotten friend.
Fighter: I'm horrible!
#2NurseFinPosted 10/22/2013 9:21:14 AM
You've got a loooooong way to go. I can't really say much of how much further, but you've got maybe 8 more dungeons to go after Yokmir cave.

(I really don't like Doug so I can't comment on his character. It's just my personal opinion and don't let it sway you from pursuing him, his fans say it's worth it)
#3LirishaePosted 10/22/2013 9:41:09 AM
I'm...not sure if I got all the questions or not, so let me know if I missed something. xD;

If you don't go on three or more dates with Vishnal, or keep him below 10 LP, you won't have to worry about accidentally triggering the proposal event. I've heard dating more than once bachelor lowers your chances of getting a proposal, but I'm not sure if this is true or not.

Doug will get a massive LP boost when you get married, so don't worry; eventually he'll be waaaaay ahead of everyone else in the town. You might want to focus on getting your cooking skill up so that you can make Tempura Bowl, his favorite, and give it to him every day once he uncaps.

If you want to blitz the storyline, put it on easy, focus on keeping your crafting up so you can always wear the best gear, and try taming some high level or boss monsters. But the final segment of the first arc has to be solo'd, so overpowered pets won't get you through that.

And for what it's worth, I'm a girl too XD
---
"Little scratches on people's hearts will be gone if they pat them from behind, but the humans don't know that." -Li'l Cactus
White 2: 1636-5705-4662
#4Karin18(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 10:19:32 AM
Thanks so much for the help! So he'll get a big LP boost once we're married but what about in the meantime? Or should I not worry about that?

How long is the third arc? If I make it past the first two will I be through most of the story? Or will I still have a good bit left?

And eh I'm not so desperate to put it on easy. I don't wanna cheat that much XD but I keep forgetting about that option. Thank you! And I'm glad you're a female too. I had no idea XD Thanks for answering all my silly questions! Like... Everywhere ^^;

Also, Nurse Fin, did you used to frequent one of the Harvest Moon boards? I felt like you were the resident " master" because you had played the Japanese version of the game before it came to America. I forgot which one though. Friends of Mineral Town maybe? D: or ToT? Hmm. Any case, was that you? Sorry if I confused you with someone else ^^;
---
Black Mage: Dammit fighter, White Mage doesn't like me because you're a rotten friend.
#5PikaleyPosted 10/22/2013 10:25:23 AM
Karin18 posted...
Thanks so much for the help! So he'll get a big LP boost once we're married but what about in the meantime? Or should I not worry about that?

How long is the third arc? If I make it past the first two will I be through most of the story? Or will I still have a good bit left?

And eh I'm not so desperate to put it on easy. I don't wanna cheat that much XD but I keep forgetting about that option. Thank you! And I'm glad you're a female too. I had no idea XD Thanks for answering all my silly questions! Like... Everywhere ^^;

Also, Nurse Fin, did you used to frequent one of the Harvest Moon boards? I felt like you were the resident " master" because you had played the Japanese version of the game before it came to America. I forgot which one though. Friends of Mineral Town maybe? D: or ToT? Hmm. Any case, was that you? Sorry if I confused you with someone else ^^;

third arc isnt long persay but the last dungeon is and its very difficult
---
3ds fc - 4983-5114-5815, Name: Brad
Official Pikachu and MegaPikachu of the Pokemon X Board
#6LirishaePosted 10/22/2013 10:35:40 AM
You're more than welcome XD Not that answering questions ever bothers me, but I get where you're coming from, so I really don't mind ^^ Don't hesitate to ask if there's anything else you need help with!

There's not much you can do in the meantime if you don't want people's FP/LP getting ahead of Doug's, except don't talk to or gift them and try to complete the story as quickly as you can :< But I would just continue to talk to them normally, maybe skip gifting them, and then shower Doug in Tempura Bowls once he uncaps.

Story-wise, the third arc is kind of an "epilogue" of sorts. It's short in terms of plot, but the last dungeon in it is long and fairly brutal.
---
"Little scratches on people's hearts will be gone if they pat them from behind, but the humans don't know that." -Li'l Cactus
#7Karin18(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 11:01:34 AM
Thank you so much! I'm glad to know I can count on you for help if I need it <3

Have you dated Doug? Or who did you pursue?

For those that went after Doug did you try to blitz or just take it easy?

I guess the plus side to going slow is it'll make the game last since I can't get him right away lol Sadly I usually stall out in Harvest Moon games after I marry since there's not much more to do D: hopefully RF isn't the same way!
---
#8LirishaePosted 10/22/2013 11:13:18 AM
I was torn, but I went with Dylas in the end because I figured the dialogue would be hilarious, and it is XD Frey just loves messing with him, and you can opt to give him a hard time yourself with some choices. Plus, there's just something special about picking a wife/husband who never felt like they had very much in life and making them deliriously happy. I'm going to go with Doug on a New Game+ though, since I'll be able to blitz through the story and start dating him quickly.

I know exactly what you mean, but fortunately there's a lot of stuff to do in RF after that XD There'll likely be a bunch of town events left you haven't seen, possibly the third arc if you aim to get married before starting it the way I did, plus a lot of optional dungeons and other things you can do, like collecting trophies or completing your shipping record.
---
#9NurseFinPosted 10/22/2013 11:25:22 AM
Karin18 posted...

Yeah, I've imported every Harvest Moon game and RF game (except for ToD) from ToT onwards. I think RF4 is the first RF game I've played both language versions of so it's interesting to compare them. I'm getting the new HM game coming out in February too so I may migrate to that board next year.