Another newbie question... solo vs. party

#1audiohereticPosted 12/11/2013 9:49:22 AM
OK, I just finished the Water Ruins. Started out at level 10 (what it recommended... lol) and got to beat it by 18 after dying a few times. Worst RF4 player ever? Possibly.

Thing is, I've been adventuring this whole time solo, even though I know you could take someone with you. So a few questions:

1. Is it preferred to adventure in a party?

2. Do you receive less XP if you are in a party?

3. How many people should I have with me?

Thanks in advance.
---
XBL: Ultimate JWing | 3DS FC: 3368-1328-3834 | NNID & PSN: audioheretic
#2AkirahimePosted 12/11/2013 10:01:01 AM
I haven't noticed any EXP penalties while partying. I always bring the maximum two townsfolk even when I'm just farming bosses in order to level them. At higher levels, the townsfolks' AI improves and they are much more aggressive.

There really isn't any downside to partying. Unlike monsters, human party members are smart enough to not attack an enemy if their attacks will heal them. You can also tell them to stand on top of switches for later dungeons. A very minor thing is that they can stand on top of dropped items and make it a tiny bit harder to pick up, but you can always tell them to stand back.
#3glitchXIIPosted 12/11/2013 10:08:14 AM
I've noticed that some of them actually fight like their personalities. For example, bado seems to do very little, xiao pai seems to trip often, and i think clorica fell asleep once or twice even when i wasn't fighting monsters that can cause sleep
---
3DS: 3496-9744-9813 friend safari pokemon: magneton, metang, and excadrill. Pm if you want to add me.
#4ShinraiLiPosted 12/11/2013 10:30:33 AM
glitchXII posted...
clorica fell asleep once or twice even when i wasn't fighting monsters that can cause sleep

To add to that, if Clorica sleeps for the duration of the effect, she will wake up with full health. I'm not sure if the same applies when she's woken by force.
#5riringenPosted 12/11/2013 10:47:13 AM
glitchXII posted...
I've noticed that some of them actually fight like their personalities. For example, bado seems to do very little, xiao pai seems to trip often, and i think clorica fell asleep once or twice even when i wasn't fighting monsters that can cause sleep

That's actually true.

That's why taking Vishnal with you could be very helpful (better work together on his fighting skill first). Also Forte for sure. They're both loyal.

If someone is on high LP level would they fight harder for you? Cuz that's what I think.

A party is always better than solo in so many ways.
#6allison1996Posted 12/11/2013 11:02:16 AM
I played my first playthrough almost entirely with no party and I'm sure I made it harder on myself.

Clorica throws food occasionally and I read that if it misses you then you can pick it up and save it. Someone got a super expensive dish that way.

If you do take people with you make sure you give them better equipment. When I take people for the first time I outfit them from head to toe, sometimes skipping the headgear, but increasing their attack and defense so that I don't have to keep healing them.
#7ShinraiLiPosted 12/11/2013 11:54:52 AM
allison1996 posted...
Clorica throws food occasionally and I read that if it misses you then you can pick it up and save it.

Forte will also throw food... In the form of failed and disastrous dishes. At least she knows her food is lethal, I guess...
#8FairyGal13Posted 12/11/2013 12:58:43 PM
The other advantage to taking party members with you is simply to distract bosses giving you more time to attack and less time being attacked... bait!
#9allison1996Posted 12/11/2013 5:36:38 PM
FairyGal13 posted...
The other advantage to taking party members with you is simply to distract bosses giving you more time to attack and less time being attacked... bait!

Yes! That is the only way I was able to beat Octopirate in the Sharance Maze the first time I battled him.
#10fayehintoPosted 12/11/2013 5:48:25 PM
Adding another question to this...

How do you guys deal with the "I need to go home now, bye." random ports out from townfolk?

I almost always take my monsters, because I find the villagers to be too unreliable. They are either to busy to help me or want to leave super early.