Just bought this....would love beginner advice.

#1rare_candyPosted 7/5/2014 9:16:34 AM
Grabbed this on a whim this week and really just started it today. Anything i should OR should not do/buy/sell?

Basically any good things to keep in mind?

Advice appreciated! Thanks
---
FC: 1607-2374-6438 III DA: 4000-2623-3251 town: Avalon
Ankha, Marshal, Freya, Bam, Chrissy, Fauna, Deirdre, Zell, Sally, Bill....LF: Stitches
#2ANelsonPosted 7/5/2014 10:03:04 AM
Not to be snarky, but there's a stickied post that's exactly that in great detail X)

Don't sell something that doesn't have a "Buy" value yet. Other than that, almost anything can be sold. And nothing is lost forever.
#3rare_candy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2014 10:31:20 AM
Ya, in my own defense, that was kinda snarky. Doesnt exactly present a "feel free to ask for help" feeling to new players. But I guess im only to blame. i didnt even notice the Sticky so my bad.

Ill check it out. Thanks.
---
Ankha, Marshal, Freya, Bam, Chrissy, Fauna, Deirdre, Zell, Sally, Bill....LF: Stitches
#4pikangiePosted 7/5/2014 3:46:40 PM
One thing I should point out is, if you find a rare mineral(ex: a love crystal) or fruit(ex: the pink melon from Meg's room), I suggest shipping one of each, then in the future, they will show up in NPC shops, and if you're rich enough, you could buy them there instead of hunting/farming for days/weeks. It might not show up until after you do a request, though.
---
ACNL QR Codes: http://pikangie.tumblr.com/
3DS Friendcode: 4597-0805-4383 -- LF> Filbert
#5RPGman1Posted 7/5/2014 4:45:42 PM
pikangie posted...
One thing I should point out is, if you find a rare mineral(ex: a love crystal) or fruit(ex: the pink melon from Meg's room), I suggest shipping one of each, then in the future, they will show up in NPC shops, and if you're rich enough, you could buy them there instead of hunting/farming for days/weeks. It might not show up until after you do a request, though.

Seriously, ship your first Love Crystal. Those things are ridiculously rare in this game. I got one from Kiel in a request and I immediately shipped it. Basically all the Love Crystals I used in my playthrough were purchased because I honestly don't think one ever naturally dropped for me.
---
Did you see that Zack?! Clear as a crisp spring morning! "F K"...in the coffee!
#6pikangiePosted 7/5/2014 7:22:52 PM
RPGman1 posted...
pikangie posted...

Seriously, ship your first Love Crystal. Those things are ridiculously rare in this game. I got one from Kiel in a request and I immediately shipped it. Basically all the Love Crystals I used in my playthrough were purchased because I honestly don't think one ever naturally dropped for me.

Yeah, I realized that after spending at least two days non-stop killing the love gates for the love crystals to forge a staff, and nothing. XD
Hopefully I can get a request for one soon, even though that staff is long outdated lol.
---
ACNL QR Codes: http://pikangie.tumblr.com/
3DS Friendcode: 4597-0805-4383 -- LF> Filbert
#7rare_candy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 7:26:21 AM
ANelson posted...
Not to be snarky, but there's a stickied post that's exactly that in great detail X)

Don't sell something that doesn't have a "Buy" value yet. Other than that, almost anything can be sold. And nothing is lost forever.

I checked out that 'tips' sticky and while it is OVERLY detailed (aka phone book worth of advice) , i simply wanted 3 or 4 very basic bullet points of things i should or shouldnt do at the 'very beginning' of this game.

A good portion of stuff in that sticky really doeant apply to me RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT.

In a nutshell im quite older than most of the players here im guessing (meaning i dont have a ton of time to put in everyday) , i downloaded this so i dont have the manual to carry around and read, and thus im a bit confused: in regards of things i should hold on to or not spend my money on.

For example: i saw a better sword in the weapon shop for 160. I started the game with 200. Should i grab that or is there something better to spend my money on?

Just looking for a few very early tips to get me going thrn ill be fine.

Thanx
---
#8ANelsonPosted 7/6/2014 10:42:08 AM
Do the mailbox/Eliza quests to learn the various mechanics. Try to learn forging to make your own equipment. Farming always makes money. Cooking often makes farming items even more valuable.

Otherwise, stop worrying. You can't mess up in this game, and no time is wasted. Find out what you like to do, and keep at it. Even if you 'waste' money, you can make it back in numerous ways.
#9rare_candy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 12:06:35 PM
Awesome..ok ill try that. Thanks! :)
---
#10Blademaster_AioPosted 7/6/2014 2:46:36 PM
Don't buy stuff from the Blacksmith. It's a rip off in every way.
---
Believe God is one, and believe in the hereafter.