Other games like Fallout and Fallout 2

#1platztPosted 9/8/2009 8:03:57 PM
Do you know of some PC games that are similar to Fallout and Fallout 2? I'm looking for more turn based RPG's that primarily use mouse controls and not the keyboard.
---
PSN: Tomicide
Currently playing: Red Faction Guerrilla, Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise, & Saints Row 2
#2lindallisonPosted 9/8/2009 8:13:49 PM

Nothing feels like the fallouts, but Arcanum has a turn-based combat mode.

Jagged Alliance 2 is turn-based and has a lot of RPG in it.

Star Trail's there if you really want to get old school

Temple of Elemental Evil has nice turn-based party combat and is pretty

And Wizardry 8 is turn based - really silly, but a lot of fun.

I'm sure ther're many others.....

#3SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 9/8/2009 8:44:08 PM
"Nothing feels like the fallouts, but Arcanum has a turn-based combat mode."

The turn-based combat doesn't feel even remotely like Fallout (combat has got to be one of Arcanum's weakest points), and a lot of the rest of the game seems to lack that magic that made the early Fallouts so great, but Arcanum is probably the closest thing you're going to find to another game like Fallouts 1 & 2. It was made by a lot of the same people, so the similarities are obvious. It isn't horrible, by any means, but it just doesn't quite measure up. (I think that became Troika's hallmark, before they closed their doors for good: Stellar ideas that always seemed to stumble just enough to fall short of the legendary games they could have been.)

"Jagged Alliance 2 is turn-based and has a lot of RPG in it."

Actually, it's turn-based, with some RPG elements in it. I'm always a little leery of Fallout fans recommending JA2 (or vice versa), not because it's impossible to enjoy both games, because it most certainly is not. A great many people do enjoy both games (myself included--in fact, they're two of my all-time favorite series). The problem is that they're radically different games. Whereas Fallouts 1&2 are straight-up RPGs, the Jagged Alliance games are actually turn-based strategy games, focusing on squad-level tactics. (In fact, the JA games bear a far greater resemblance to Fallout Tactics--though done far better--than to Fallouts 1 or 2.)

Incidentally, if the JA franchise does sound interesting, despite the different game style, you'd do well to look into the X-Com franchise (well, the first game or two, anyway). The graphics were never that great, even when the game was new, but the game play holds up surprisingly well, even to this day, combining a lot of relatively simple game mechanics (the original version shipped on floppy discs, after all) into a remarkably complex whole.
---
When all else fails, read the instructions.
#4ArthasRebornPosted 9/8/2009 10:19:28 PM
Regarding X-COM, I really would recommend it if you're into that kind of game. If you really can't get over the dated graphics, then go for UFO: Extraterrestrial. It looks a whole lot nicer and it's pretty much a remake of the original X-COM game. There's plenty of mods for it and they can vastly improve the game.

If you're looking for X-COM though, it can be purchased on Steam for $5, I think. There's loads of tweaks to DOS-Box that you can find to make the game run a little better.
---
History will be kind to me for I intend to edit it on Wikipedia. - Derek
#5RommelMcDonald7Posted 9/9/2009 11:56:10 AM
Arcanum definitely has the amazing dialogue trees and variety of options that Fallout 2 had, but your greatest enemy throughout the entire game will be the combat system itself. It will resist and fight you every step of the way. It is possibly the worst RPG combat system ever. You can either have your ass handed to you in turn based mode or put on Yakety sax and watch your characters run around like Benny Hill characters as they wallop each other in fast motion.

If you can get past that, you'll be surprised at how differently your female elf magician is treated from your half-orc tinkerer. It's really impressive. The voice acting and music are fantastic as well, they really set the mood.

And I downloaded JA2 after seeing it reccomended here. I had fun with it for a bit, but the pacing and difficulty of the game were too much for me. It was just impossible to sneak up on anyone. But it's definitely a rough transition from F2 to JA2.
#6SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 9/9/2009 4:20:10 PM
"And I downloaded JA2 after seeing it reccomended here. I had fun with it for a bit, but the pacing and difficulty of the game were too much for me. It was just impossible to sneak up on anyone. But it's definitely a rough transition from F2 to JA2."

Like I said, they're radically different games. Whereas Fallout 2 is an RPG, allowing you to stand toe-to-toe with just about anybody, provided you aren't facing foes too strong for your current level, standing your ground and shooting away at enemy troops when you find them is a recipe for disaster in the JA games, no matter where you are. Instead, you need to focus on cover and on luring the enemy into positions where you have the advantage. Your mercenaries' skills improve, and those gains are important, but they're more of a reward for keeping your mercs alive than the means by which you'll win your later battles. Tactics and equipment are far more important factors in your mercs' performance.

So, yeah, JA2 isn't a bad game in the least, but if you go in expecting to find something like Fallout 2, you will be disappointed.
---
When all else fails, read the instructions.
#7GodakPosted 9/11/2009 3:48:38 PM

Playing Fallout 3 ONLY in VATS kind of makes it feel like the originals...Bah! Who am I kidding? A great game, but completely different gameplay (thought very similar thematically...I wonder why? :lol:). Seriously, just keep playing Fallout 2. Maybe you can find some good mods.

#8Chibi KamiPosted 9/12/2009 11:58:05 AM
If you don't mind having to track down necessary play materials (the story event manual) and setting up dosbox or finding a 286/386 computer to play it, you could try Fallout's predecessor, Wasteland.
You could also try Wasteland's first sequel, Fountain of Paradise, but it was crap.
---
God has a plan.
God's plan needs an autistic 6-year-old to look it over and point out the flaws.
#9KydosPosted 9/12/2009 1:18:26 PM
planescape torment.

Like fallout but with less combat.

Text trees and quests are the main point of it.

Fantastic game.
---
A man chooses, a slave obeys.
#10platzt(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2009 8:13:38 PM
Thanks for all of the game suggestions and in sites. Is fallout tactics pretty good? Does it mostly focus on combat or does it have a decent story as well?

---
PSN: Tomicide
Currently playing: Red Faction Guerrilla, Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise, & Saints Row 2