Where is the save files?

#1FeignFeginPosted 4/4/2009 9:17:32 PM

well i decided to patch fallout 2 (didnt know it was so critical) and i ran into a little problem.

I am going to use a save file converter (which i found here, is this the good one? http://www.svatopluk.com/fallout/download/f2patch.stm) but before i do, i want to back up my save files. The oddest thing is, the save file converter can see the save files in my blackisle folder, but i cant.

The save file converter lists the save files under, C:\Program Files\BlackIsle\Fallout2\data\SAVEGAME . When i view "data" folder, there is no sub folder named "savegame". ive tried going into my vista control panel section and setting the option to view hidden folders, but it still does not show. I also tried just putting in the file path into the explorer, but no luck, says there is no such directory.

help

#2AngusYoung93Posted 4/5/2009 1:48:38 AM
Do your savegames show up when you try to load? Vista has a thing about modifying anything in the Program Files directory.
---
The preceding post is dedicated to my soul mate, the love of my life, and the greatest person in the world: me.
http://s5.tinypic.com/263hfnn.jpg
#3_Darek1Posted 4/5/2009 3:14:34 AM
From the Fallout Wikia:

"A "missing" FO2 savegame directory is a Windows Vista issue. Save games and other items are placed in a hidden AppData folder, usually located at C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BlackIsle\Fallout2. It's called the Virtual Store, and it's part of Vista's UAC. Any file writes to the Program Files directory by limited user applications are rerouted there, so if you installed Fallout anywhere apart from the Program Files folder you won't be affected. You also won't be effected if you set Fallout to run as administrator, or completely disable UAC (which is strongly advised if using many pre-Vista apps). It can actually cause a problem for people who don't know about it; if you start a game of Fallout, and then later on set Fallout to run as administrator, all your saves will vanish."

Note that "UserName" should be your user name.
#4FeignFegin(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2009 1:44:10 PM

_Darek1 posted...
From the Fallout Wikia:

"A "missing" FO2 savegame directory is a Windows Vista issue. Save games and other items are placed in a hidden AppData folder, usually located at C:UsersUserNameAppDataLocalVirtualStoreProgram FilesBlackIsleFallout2. It's called the Virtual Store, and it's part of Vista's UAC. Any file writes to the Program Files directory by limited user applications are rerouted there, so if you installed Fallout anywhere apart from the Program Files folder you won't be affected. You also won't be effected if you set Fallout to run as administrator, or completely disable UAC (which is strongly advised if using many pre-Vista apps). It can actually cause a problem for people who don't know about it; if you start a game of Fallout, and then later on set Fallout to run as administrator, all your saves will vanish."

Note that "UserName" should be your user name.

thanks mate. The directory worked. Now lets hope that the save file converter goes smoothly