Jet Addiction Quest?

#1FeignFeginPosted 4/19/2009 9:15:49 AM

so ive heard there is a quest that you can receive in vault city to start up an antidote to get rid of jet addiction. I snuck in a jet and spoke to that doctor in the vault. Did nothing. How do i start it up

#2red255Posted 4/19/2009 9:38:33 AM
They removed it the official patch because it was broken. you can still bring some jet antidote from the tanker to the doctor in Redding.

But maybe it was fixed and restored in a restoration patch of a fan, not in the 1.02 game though.
---
Anybody saying this is anime of the year will immediately be shut down when FMA comes out. -cloudvstidus4life | Posted: 2/17/2009
#3FeignFegin(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2009 11:16:47 AM

red255 posted...
They removed it the official patch because it was broken. you can still bring some jet antidote from the tanker to the doctor in Redding.

But maybe it was fixed and restored in a restoration patch of a fan, not in the 1.02 game though.
---
Anybody saying this is anime of the year will immediately be shut down when FMA comes out. -cloudvstidus4life | Posted: 2/17/2009

huh? what do you mean? i can buy the antidote from a doctor in redding?

#4Spotty_BugPosted 4/19/2009 11:23:09 AM

***SPOILER***

The antidote is available atone ofthe traders (most of the time) on board the tanker in SF, you can take it to the doctor in Redding to finish the jet quest.

#5SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 4/19/2009 3:13:34 PM
"They removed it the official patch because it was broken."

Are you sure about that, Red? I played with the official patch for years, and I'm sure I managed to give Dr. Troy(?) a sample of Jet, in order to make the antidote. (Of course, it takes time. You'll have to come back later if you want the antidote.)

According to Per Jorner's "Nearly Ultimate Guide" (which was written with the official patch in mind):

Getting this quest is a little tricky. First you must have Doctor 75% so that you qualify for the medical tour. There are now two non-obvious dialogue paths that lead to this quest. Tell him that you're something of a doctor, and when he offers the tour, either try to leave conversation directly, or else take the tour, but directly afterwards leave conversation. (You can always take the tour later, but there's no reason not to do it right away.) In either case he'll stop you and ask if you, being an outsider, could do him a special service, namely smuggle some Jet into the vault (see quest 7 for details on how to do that). Give it to him for $1000 but no xp. If you have Jet in your inventory when you get the quest, you can ask $1200 for it with Barter 75%, or $1500 with Barter 95%; doing this will also provide you with an extra (inconsequential) line if you have Chem Reliant or are addicted to Jet. Anyway, if you return three months later he'll have churned out two doses of Jet Antidote for you, which you should take to Doc Johnson in Redding; see that section for the rest.

The time needed for the doctor to produce the antidote on his own can be shortened to one month if you've talked to Myron about Jet production; when handing over the Jet, start the dialogue thread that begins "you don't want to inhale that crap". If you have Myron with you at this point the two of them will compare notes, but it's not necessary. For this you get 750 xp. However, you cannot get these xp if you have the New Reno quest active, so you should first do this and then talk to Myron to get the New Reno quest before Dr Troy can make an antidote to maximize your xp.

* If you tell Dr Troy you're Captain of the Guard he sensibly won't ask you to smuggle Jet for him.

* There's also an unlikely way to get only 500 xp and shorten the time needed to make the antidote to two months. For this you must talk to Myron about Jet before he joins you, and leave dialogue once he says "And that's all yer ever gonna learn" (you need some IN and Science to get there). Then go to Troy and hand him the Jet without having Myron in your party.

---
When all else fails, read the instructions.
#6red255Posted 4/19/2009 7:44:25 PM
* If you tell Dr Troy you're Captain of the Guard he sensibly won't ask you to smuggle Jet for him.

Ok, follow up. How does one get to be captain of the guard in the official patch?
---
#7SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 4/19/2009 9:07:44 PM
Also from Per's guide (because this was something I never figured out for myself):

If Lynette thinks highly enough of you when you deliver the [Westin] holodisk, she'll make you Captain of the Guard, a position which has several advantages as decribed in the Vault City section. To pull this off you need CH 8 and getting Lynette's "respect counter" high enough by adressing her as First Citizen at every turn. The easiest way to do this requires Speech 75% and being a citizen (which you obviously are since Westin gave you his disk), and can be done right before giving the disk to Lynette. Say you have a question for her, ask why they don't live in a vault, and then pick the last option to leave dialogue. Do this 10-15 times (or more if necessary) to raise the respect counter before giving her the disk. If you become Captain, you get 2500 xp for the delivery instead of the usual 1500 xp.

Basically, jump through a lot of hoops to cozy up to Lynette ... but who wants to be that friendly with her, anyway? ;)
---
When all else fails, read the instructions.
#8red255Posted 4/20/2009 5:45:02 AM
My 10 MM SMG got really friendly with her.
---
#9AngusYoung93Posted 4/21/2009 2:26:15 PM
I became Captain of the Guard once just to get Stark to apologize to Cassidy. I then introduce Vault City my own brand of frontier justice. Life is safe and fair under my law...after they dig out the bodies and the people in the courtyard move in, obviously. <_<
---
The preceding post is dedicated to my soul mate, the love of my life, and the greatest person in the world: me.
http://s5.tinypic.com/263hfnn.jpg