Why did they make the beginning so tough?

#1Lazay727Posted 9/16/2010 4:34:00 PM

It's really offsetting towards new players. You only get one chance for a first impression and I don't think anyone exactly enjoys punching ants anyway. You end up wandering around and getting destroyed and it's very slow paced,repetitive, and dull and just a terrible way to set pace for a game. I haven't played the rest but it sounds like it's very interesting. At least give the player a gun!

#2CutterDeBlancPosted 9/16/2010 5:08:46 PM
They assume you're coming in after having played Fallout 1, and figure you know a little something about the combat mechanics already.

Fallout 1 doesn't have such a steep learning curve, and they start you out with a gun.

---
No habla espaņol.
#3JoveHackPosted 9/17/2010 12:51:22 AM
@Lazay727

Yes, the Temple of Trials is a terrible mistake. Best thing to do is run through it with as little fighting as possible.

Although I did clean it out on my first runthrough, on Hard/Rough at that. It takes patience, tactics, and high AP. The problem is that experience didn't carry over to the rest of the game.

To answer the question in the subject, "Why did they make the beginning so tough?", I think it's because the game was rushed out. Fallout 2 was released a little over a year after Fallout 1.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved. Primal Wiki: http://primal.wikia.com
#4bluevelvetPosted 9/17/2010 1:13:40 AM
funny thing there. i played fallout 1 to death. loved it. i had the 2 disc fallout 1/fallout2 so eventually i put in fallout 2 and got my ass handed to me and said 'screwt this' and went back to fallout 1 and then torment.

i did finally pick up fallout 2 and gave it a chance, and it is good, am almost done with the main quest right now.

Although I did clean it out on my first runthrough, on Hard/Rough at that. It takes patience, tactics, and high AP. The problem is that experience didn't carry over to the rest of the game.

as for the using what you learned in the cave, well i sort of agree. you learn to blow up doors, pick locks, and umm, punch ants,

ok the punching ants wasnt that useful later in the game. tho i guess the strategy of 'shoot once, then move back 5 steps" sort of works. sort of.
#5red255Posted 9/17/2010 5:15:22 AM
So in short you should find a gun inside the temple of trials is what you are saying? I mean if there are high explosives, why ISN"T there a gun?

The cave of trials ISN'T hard though. why are you PUNCHING ants? you kick them if you are going to use melee. SERIOUSLY takes like 2-3 punches to kill an ant, but only 1 kick

I suppose if you didn't realize kick is the other button, it *MIGHT* be considered hard. But its not.

KICK THE DAMN ANTS DON"T PUNCH.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#6codysan87Posted 9/17/2010 5:20:34 AM
Uhh you are being tested for the role of the Choson, it's the temple of TRIALS, it's meant to try you. If you can't make it through then you aren't good enough to do the quest.

But from a gaming standpoint, I guess it is a bit odd for the start of the game.
---
The Chosen Alliance has conquered this board. All resistance shall be put down without delay, thanks for your cooperation. HQ Medieval 2 Total war Gold board.
#7CutterDeBlancPosted 9/17/2010 5:39:11 AM
PROTIP: Clear out the temple of Trials and disarm all of the traps and you should earn just enough XP to level up.

I think you also have to talk your way through the guard at the end also, I forget that part, but I know one way gets less XP than the other.

---
No habla espaņol.
#8OldAlchemistPosted 9/17/2010 6:25:37 AM
You're a tribal. Your whole primitive tribe has no guns. That's why you're punching ants.

It's also a subtle way to encourage you to use the improved unarmed combat system in the game. Later in the game it's pretty darn useful. That's why you're punching ants.
#9maynardftwPosted 9/17/2010 6:39:56 AM
Personally I'm glad they throw you right into the thick of things from jumpstreet. Other games discourage you from making new characters by making the beginning filled with "go here and do this before you can do any fighting" missions.
---
Chaotic Good, left-handed. Spear and magic helmet?
#10JoveHackPosted 9/17/2010 9:31:25 AM
red255 posted on 9/17/2010 at 7:15 AM "So in short you should find a gun inside the temple of trials is what you are saying? I mean if there are high explosives, why ISN"T there a gun?"

There's even a gun on the table in front of the Elder in the opening cutscene.

Unarmed (and melee) combat seem spectacularly useless to me. The Temple of Trials had a couple of obstacles to circle around to facilitate hit and run tactics, like the well and the cubicles. The Rat Caves in Klamath had some as well. But that was pretty much it for the whole game.

I could tell the game really wanted to encourage Unarmed and Melee, what with all the free training in Arroyo, Klamath, Sierra Army Depot, and San Francisco. But whenever I tried it it was so much worse than killing things from a distance.

Not to mention you get buried in small guns and ammo before too long.

I may yet try an unarmed character, because there doesn't seem to be another way to really change up the gameplay.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved. Primal Wiki: http://primal.wikia.com