Just finished the game for the first time... God I feel like a n00b...

#1bolt_thundaraPosted 4/18/2012 10:17:46 AM
Here's a few examples...

I used the ONamjoshi walkthru to complete the game. I started once and got the power armor and Pulse rifle very early, but couldn't find the super sledgehammer... So I started over and decided to take Energy weapons Melee and Speech as my tag skills to better utilize the weapons found at Navarro and the BOS in San Fran...... Then never used the Pulse Rifle b/c it's AP usage was too high (as is most energy weapons excepting the Alien Blaster, which I couldn't find) and I was decimating w/ the SS. I actually got jealous when Cassidy and Sulik would do 150+ dmg w/ the Pancor Jackhammer or the GE11e (with Sulik consistantly doing 300+ on occasion) :( . Of course the Rifle was useful in the Enclave base, but I'd configure my perks to take advantage of the SS melee ability and didn't get Bonus ROF...

I missed Better Crits b/c my starting luck wasn't high enough, and I didn't reralize the zeta scan @ the Hubologists would raise it til I was on level 28... Better Crits was the last perk I got.

I didn't know the was a quest from Vault City involving Westin so I killed him early for Mr Bishop... then couldn't figure out how to get into the Presidential Palace at NCR to finish the quest chain for Bishop... I was trying to become a Made Man w/ all four Reno families according to the Four Made Man FAQ on this site...

In addition, I screwed up the Quad made man thing b/c I couldn't get into Salvatore w/o starting a fight. So I butchered everybody in New Reno. I ended up being at odds with every family.

I got K-9 early b/c I was at Navarro and ended up killing him myself b/c he had me boxed in a room and I didn't know you could ask your NPCs to move... I actually had to whoop Cass and Sully too in the Tanker when I installed the Nav parts b/c they stood in the corridor there and I had to hit them with the SS to slide them out of the way.

I didn't know you could left click and hold on something to use an item or skill on it, so I went thru the entire game actually removing one of my weapons and equipping the various keycards etc. to use them... Until yesterday anyway when I asked somebody here how to get into the military base. See related topic.

I couldn't figure out how to get my NPCs into Navarro or the Oil Rig Enclave base, so I destroyed Navarro and Took out the Enclave base alone. I had Cass and Sully equiped with the Power Armor found at the Military base and BOS San Fran, so I still don't understand why they couldn't come...

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of. I'm going to start a Restoration Project game soon and hopefully I can manage to not screw that up.

Also I lost my car and never found it. Don't know if it was glitched or not. I got it at the den right after I got the part to fix it and then drove it back to Gecko and never saw it again. Hell, it may still be there and I just don't know how to find it.
#2bolt_thundara(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2012 10:18:37 AM
Just a few tidbits for your enjoyment. If anybody has suggestions to help the n00b on his next playthru I'd be glad to hear them.
#3red255Posted 4/18/2012 11:05:41 AM
I started once and got the power armor ...
yeah. don't go to navarro until its time.

you should die trying unless you are not running a proper game with random encounters.

and if you run in there all tribal like, I like to believe they would shoot you dead.

much like we would shoot the FAQ writer dead.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#4SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 4/18/2012 4:41:36 PM
bolt_thundara posted...
"I used the ONamjoshi walkthru to complete the game. "

Well, there are your first two problems:
1) You shouldn't be relying on a walkthrough for your first run for a game like this. You're never going to find everything, anyway, and you'll lose a lot of the sense of discovery, if don't figure anything out on your own.

2) I do use a walkthrough, you should be using Per Jorner's:
http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout2.html
The information is generally more reliable, and it doesn't offer any game-breaking advice, such as grabbing the advanced power armor waaaay too early, thereby destroying the challenge for most of the game.

I had Cass and Sully equiped with the Power Armor found at the Military base and BOS San Fran, so I still don't understand why they couldn't come...

For one thing, they're expecting the odd recruit (or in the case of the oil rig, the odd soldier going about his business), not small bands of heavy armed (or armored) guys roaming around. As in real-life, smaller units are better for stealth. If you want to go in, guns blazing (a perfectly viable option), your party members are fine, but if you'[re trying to sneak in without everyone adopting a "shoot first and to hell with the questions" policy, you'll have to go it alone.

"Also I lost my car and never found it. Don't know if it was glitched or not. I got it at the den right after I got the part to fix it and then drove it back to Gecko and never saw it again. Hell, it may still be there and I just don't know how to find it."

You're sure it was Gecko where you lost it and not New Reno? (You car will actually get stolen in New Reno, leaving you with the task of tracking down the lowlifes who made off with your ride and get it back.

If that's not the problem, and it didn't run out of energy, somewhere in the middle of nowhere, then it's probably in the last city you drove it to. It's usually by the main entrance/exit to the town, but a few towns (such as New Reno, again) support multiple parking spots, so you either need to remember which part of town you entered or check every, possible exit. That said, it isn't true for every town, so you sometimes need to go to that first section of town and look around.

The other thing to do is to make sure you've patched the game. It's unlikely this is the problem, since you'd need version 1.0 of the game, which no one sells, anymore, but there was a glitch which would cause part or all of the car to disappear. (Note: if you're installing the Restoration Project, it already includes the official patches, aw well as Killap's unofficial patch, so you should be fine for your next run, even if you didn't patch your game, before.)
---
When all else fails, read the instructions.
#5CutterDeBlancPosted 4/19/2012 11:52:07 PM(edited)
I've actually only beaten this game once on my murderer character, even though it's one of my favorite games ever.
---
No habla espaņol.
#6bolt_thundara(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2012 7:26:50 AM
SpaceAgeSamurai posted...
bolt_thundara posted...

You're sure it was Gecko where you lost it and not New Reno? (You car will actually get stolen in New Reno, leaving you with the task of tracking down the lowlifes who made off with your ride and get it back.

If that's not the problem, and it didn't run out of energy, somewhere in the middle of nowhere, then it's probably in the last city you drove it to. It's usually by the main entrance/exit to the town, but a few towns (such as New Reno, again) support multiple parking spots, so you either need to remember which part of town you entered or check every, possible exit. That said, it isn't true for every town, so you sometimes need to go to that first section of town and look around.

The other thing to do is to make sure you've patched the game. It's unlikely this is the problem, since you'd need version 1.0 of the game, which no one sells, anymore, but there was a glitch which would cause part or all of the car to disappear. (Note: if you're installing the Restoration Project, it already includes the official patches, aw well as Killap's unofficial patch, so you should be fine for your next run, even if you didn't patch your game, before.)

Yeah, I got the 1.02 patch, but this was without RP. IDK what happened to the car, but it wasn't stolen at New Reno. I tried to get it back there and it simply wasn't in New Reno anywhere. I didn't really miss it anyway.
#7SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 4/20/2012 2:00:17 PM
You may already be aware of this, but just to be clear, when your car gets stolen in New Reno, you can't simply walk around and find it. You can travel every, square inch of that town and get nowhere. You need to find clues to point you in the right direction. If the Chosen One is really observant, he might find something. Otherwise, perhaps someone else saw something while you were gone.
---
#8bolt_thundara(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2012 4:40:38 PM
I know how to find the car in new reno. Strategy guide, remember? I'm pretty sure it's in gecko and i was too dumb.
#9bolt_thundara(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2012 5:58:26 PM
Sry for the dble post. Phone only allows so many letters. Also i've installed rp now so i can't look for the car.
#10SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 4/20/2012 6:04:41 PM
I thought as much, but it didn't hurt to make sure.
---