Frequently Asked Questions (and Answers)

#1thesanctuaryPosted 7/4/2012 7:10:33 PMmessage detail
So, with so many posts asking questions (and answering a bunch all day) I thought it might be nice to add in all the stuff I can think of currently into one big post. Most of this information is from personal experience so it may be somewhat inaccurate but I think it is accurate.

It seems I have to split this up into multiple posts (3), so I'll try and keep potential spoilers out of the first post.

Question about the game before purchasing
------------------------------------------------------------
Is this game good?/Will I like this game?/Is it worth $40?
-This of course is up to the individual, but if you enjoy Rhythm games, or enjoy Final Fantasy Music then this would be a good buy in my opinion.

How long is the game?
-I "beat" the game in about 6 hours, but that literally means nothing aside from being forced to watch credits. I've been playing for over 20 hours and have yet to finish completing all the songs on Ultimate (about 1/2 done with those), unlocking characters (I've only unlocked 2 characters so far), and unlocking all of the Movies/Songs (I'm far from completing that). If you enjoy the concept and don't hate the game then there is literally TONS of replay value since you will be unlocking things for a long time.

Is there a story?
-No, I wouldn't say that there's a story.

About the game
---------------------
How do I play Series mode on harder difficulties?
-You unlock harder difficulties of series mode by beating the respective songs in Challenge mode. Ex. beating all the FFV songs on Expert will unlock FFV Series on Expert.

How do I get better?
-Practice is the best way, personally I pick a song I enjoy, then pick the hardest difficulty and spam it until I can do it (sometimes it takes 10 or more tries) but afterwards I feel like I get better in general.

Any tips on how to hit notes on time?
-You can try adjusting your grip on the stylus (I find that relaxing my grip helps) or the angle you're tapping at. If you've been playing for a long time you could try taking a break and coming back later.

How do I unlock more songs?
-Collect Rhythmia to unlock a few more songs (it requires a lot).

Why is the sound quality choppy/bad/terrible in certain scenes, especially with the voices?
-Use headphones, the 3DS's speakers aren't the best thing in the world, but it's definitely capable of producing quality sound through the headphone port.

How do I get DLC?
-In the main menu (before you select your profile) there's a button on the bottom where you can go to get DLC.
#2thesanctuary(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2012 7:11:10 PMmessage detail
----------------------------------------------------------------------
|AFTER THIS POINT THERE MIGHT BE SPOILERS|

About Skills and Stats
------------------------------
What is the point of these? I can beat levels without them/they don't seem to help.
-Mostly skills are useful in Dark Notes. There you have to travel a certain distance to unlock the second/third boss of a Dark Note and you have to actually kill all the monsters/Boss before the song ends if you want the boss drops. Here is where your stats/skills matter the most, for series and Challenge modes it doesn't really matter.

What is the "Stoic" bonus?
-You get the Stoic bonus for finishing a level without any skills or items (You have to actually remove them from your equipment list, simply "not using" them will not suffice). You get 2,000,000 bonus points for doing this, but you also lose the ability to summon, use chocobos, and get to extended scenes. Without the Stoic bonus the highest rank you can get is S, but with it you can get up to SSS (9,999,999 points).

How do I summon summons, chocobos, or view extended scenes?
-If you have no items/skills equipped the "Stoic" bonus is enabled, disabling these features. Just equip any skill or item and these will be enabled. See the Skills and Stats section for more information.

What's the max CP for each character?
-I have 5 characters at 99, and they all have 50 CP, so I will say that 50 CP is the max.

Should I use the skill scrolls? And who should I use them on?
-It's completely up to you, from my experience the characters already have way more skills that I want to use than they have CP, but if you find a skill you really like go ahead and teach it to your favorite character. One useful skill I've found is EXP Hound, which makes the character that has it get all of the exp for a level. It's very useful for quickly maxing out a character to lv99. I got Yuna from 1 to 99 in a couple hours using that skill.

About Characters and Shards
----------------------------------------
How do I unlock more characters?
-Collect crystal shards through beating bosses in Dark Notes (in the Chaos Shrine). Sometimes you can get a crystal through Rhythmia, but it's rare.

How do I get "x" color crystals?
-Spam Dark Notes until you find a boss that drops the color you are looking for, then you can simply spam that level until you get enough to unlock your character. The Dark Notes are completely random (as far as I can tell), so this may take a while if you are unlucky.

Who is the best character?
-Every character has ups and downs, but to be honest it doesn't really mean much in this game. Just use your favorite characters.

FMS (Field)
---------------
Does it matter who is on the screen in FMS?
-Yes, the agility and luck is calculated based on the on-screen character and only the on-screen character can use their Blue skills (Green ones will be active even if they are off-screen).

How do I get the White Chocobo?
-You can either use the item (I think Sylkis Greens is the one, but I might be mistaken) or the skill Thoroughbred (Blue 7 CP). I know that Aerith gets this skill, but there may be other characters who can get it too.

Is there a way to make Moogles show up more?
-The skill Sight increases the chance moogles show up, having higher luck is supposed to help too.
#3thesanctuary(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2012 7:11:41 PMmessage detail
|AFTER THIS POINT THERE MIGHT BE SPOILERS|

Summons
--------------
How are the summons determined?
-From experience it seems to be random, although personally most of mine have been Ifrit.

How many summons are there?
-There are 5 summons. Ifrit, Ramuh, Shiva, Odin, and Bahamut

How do I summon Bahamut?
-The only way I have found is to use Bahamut's Magicite, an item that summons Bahamut if you are successful in summoning (the magicite is used up, but you can get lots).

Do summons ever get stronger?
-I believe they scale off your Magic stat, there's also a skill Boost that increases the power of your summons (I know Yuna learns Boost, some others might have it as well)

Chaos Shrine
-------------------
How do I get "x" song in my Dark Note to Challenge Mode?
-As far as I can tell some songs are just simply only available in Dark Notes. (I may be wrong)

Does DLC get added to Dark Notes?
-As far as I can tell, no. (I may be wrong but I've done about 40 and haven't seen any DLCs)

I finished the Dark Note but didn't get any crystal shards, how do I get crystals?
-Firstly you have to actually defeat the boss. Also, some bosses don't only drop crystals so check your Dark Note's information page and it will list any drops you have gotten from that boss in the past. It's completely random (from what I can tell) so even the same "boss" can drop different things in different Dark Notes.

How do I know which monster is the boss?
-There is a glow effect that radiates out from the monster if it is the boss. An easier way to tell is if you have a skill that only activates on bosses (Like Tidus's Blitz Ace or Cecil's Soul Shift, both learned at lv40 if I remember correctly) and just look when those skills activate.

I fully combo'd the FMS but it still didn't unlock the second/third bosses, how do I get those?
-Use a character with higher agility or skills that increase their speed.

How do I defeat the boss before the song ends?
-Equip offensive spells and skills that buff up your Strength/Magic. Also boss specific skills mentioned above help a lot, I've killed a boss in about 3 seconds with Blitz Ace, Soul Shift, and a conveniently timed Firaga from Terra who had Trance (3x magic) on.

Unlockables
-----------------
What are these cards for?
-Just for collecting purposes (as far as I can tell), when you get duplicates the cards level up and transform after you get enough of them.

How do I unlock more movies/songs for the music player?
-You unlock more of these by collecting Rhythmia. Every 500 Rhythmia you collect unlocks something (Be it a crystal shard, new song, movie, or even ProfiCard enhancements)

What's the fastest way to get Rhythmia?
-On page 29 of the Manual there's a listing of all the ways to get Rhythmia, the easiest being +30 for using a character from the title, and +10 for using 4 characters of the same gender.

How do I "Beat" the game?
-You "beat" the game after you collect a certain amount (10,000 if I remember correctly) of Rhythmia. Then you get into a special battle and view the credits afterwards.
#4xAzNFoRcExPosted 7/4/2012 7:20:17 PMmessage detail
Nice FAQ, but can you please Bold the Questions?

It's kind of hard to read.
#5thesanctuary(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2012 7:23:31 PMmessage detail
I'm kind of new here, how do I bold the text? Also, is there no way to edit posts? Or am I just stupid?
#6iambashoPosted 7/4/2012 7:24:28 PMmessage detail
I have a theory, but to test it you'll need a lvl 99 (or lower, if I'm right) Rydia. If Aerith has a skill to get golden chocobos, then I would assume Rydia has a skill to get Bahamut. This is only a guess, and I haven't unlocked her to check it yet. So, there may indeed be a way to get Bahamut without the magacite.
---
The world you see with your eyes may well differ completely from the one I see with mine. There are as many worlds as there are observers-Doreen, Chrono Trigger
#7iambashoPosted 7/4/2012 7:25:49 PMmessage detail
thesanctuary posted...
I'm kind of new here, how do I bold the text? Also, is there no way to edit posts? Or am I just stupid?

You can only edit posts once you get 75 karma. You bold text by typing the following without the spaces:
< b > boldified stuff here < / b >
---
The world you see with your eyes may well differ completely from the one I see with mine. There are as many worlds as there are observers-Doreen, Chrono Trigger
#8thesanctuary(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2012 7:28:52 PMmessage detail
iambasho posted...
thesanctuary posted...

You can only edit posts once you get 75 karma. You bold text by typing the following without the spaces:
< b > boldified stuff here < / b >

I see, thanks for the information! I guess some day I'll come back and bold the questions.
#9iambashoPosted 7/4/2012 7:32:39 PMmessage detail
Well, we can keep this bumped until there are enough new questions that surface to warrent a version two, then we can get that stickied. I have another question to be added on (it does contain spoilers).
Can you fight Chaos (after getting 10,000 Rhythmia) again/what song did we fight him to?
I don't believe you can, and I don't remember what song it was. If someone could answer that, I'd be happy lol
---
#10firstgoldPosted 7/4/2012 7:46:53 PMmessage detail
Nice, sticky requested! Answered a few of my own questions already. ^_^