Does Treasure Hutner help crystal shard drops in Chaos Shrine?

#1AdamLockedPosted 1/8/2013 5:51:05 PM
What do you guys think? I'm wondering if I equip a bunch of Treasure Hunters if that increases the likelihood of getting a crystal shard drop from the boss in the Chaos Shrine. Or if Treasure Hunter just helps you get better items in FMS levels.
#2BlackBladeRunePosted 1/8/2013 8:09:04 PM
It seems to, in my experience. However,I think killing the boss more than once is more useful than using treasure hunter on a single kill. I haven't shard farmed in awhile I don't remember if a treasure hunter stacked team is capable of more than one boss kill. I'm pretty sure Zidane with Firion, Cloud and Warrior of Light can get you both depending on the dark note, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
---
FFXIV: Tatl Tael, Durandal, Carnival linkshell
GW2: Shady Guy, Maguuma
#3AdamLocked(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 5:26:29 AM
yeah I agree that the more you kill the boss over and over you just increase your likelihood of getting a drop.

But I'm talking about on a Lv.99 note where you're probably only going to kill the boss once, does it help increase the odds of getting a shard rather than one of the other two drops?

Does anyone know that out of the list of the three drops that the boss has, does that goes in order from rarity? Like, you are more likely to get whatever item is at the bottom of the list, than at the top? It doesn't appear to be the case.

When I fight a Lv.10 or something low dark note and I kill the boss four times in a round, I do get crystal shards and it seems that I always get the ones that I need. So yeah, I dunno if its random or what. I'm just wondering if its worth wasting a Treasure Hunter slot in a battle when I can up Zidane's strength instead.

... I guess more in general: DOes anyone think that the Treasure Hunter ability effects BMS or just the items that you get in FMS?
#4FuneralCakePosted 1/9/2013 6:37:51 AM
When I was shard hunting, Treasure Hunter did seem to help me get more rare shards. I found that the order the items are listed does correspond to the rarity, with the common items being on the top and the rare items being on the bottom. When using Treasure Hunter, I got the items on the bottom more frequently.

I may be wrong, but that's the way it worked for me.
---
SERIOUSLY NOT HOME ROWED
want some funeral to go with that cake?
#5AdamLocked(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 2:27:34 PM
Well that's interesting, so you're saying when it lists:

Boss 3

CRYSTAL SHARD
ITEM 2
ITEM 3

... that Item 3 is the most rare item out of that list? That makes me NOT want to use Treasure Hunter to be sure that I get the crystal shard.

Interesting theory, I'll pay attention and notice if I think that's true.

I've also observed and it's also interesting to note that when:

Boss 3

CRYSTAL SHARD #1
CRYSTAL SHARD #2
CRYSTAL SHARD #3

... if you already have all of the Color Shard #2 (meaning you already unlocked that character) and you will never get more Color Shard #2s. Which means if you beat Boss 3 say, three times - you are going to get Color Shard #1, #,1, #2 for example. I've noticed this many times. That's why low level Dark Notes with three color shards are so valuable, you can beat the boss multiple times with a high level party and guarantee that you will get a good drop.
#6Halladay32Posted 1/9/2013 2:39:30 PM
AdamLocked posted...
I've also observed and it's also interesting to note that when:

Boss 3

CRYSTAL SHARD #1
CRYSTAL SHARD #2
CRYSTAL SHARD #3

... if you already have all of the Color Shard #2 (meaning you already unlocked that character) and you will never get more Color Shard #2s. Which means if you beat Boss 3 say, three times - you are going to get Color Shard #1, #,1, #2 for example. I've noticed this many times. That's why low level Dark Notes with three color shards are so valuable, you can beat the boss multiple times with a high level party and guarantee that you will get a good drop.

I don't think this is true. I needed some red and turquoise shards, so I took on a Dark Note with the third boss that had those two, along with a yellow shard (which I didn't need as I'd already unlocked that character). I managed to defeat that boss twice, yet annoyingly didn't get any shards, so I'm assuming it counted them as yellow shards.

Also, I just feel compelled to say, the method for collecting these shards and unlocking the characters in this game is so obnoxious, tedious, and boring. If I have one complaint with the game, it's that.
---
"It's only the mind which separates reality from truth."
#7Halladay32Posted 1/11/2013 1:04:15 PM
Actually, just to amend my last post, what I mentioned may only be true if the crystal shard you do not need is still obscured (i.e., displayed as ???). If all of the drops from a boss are visible from a Dark Note's menu, then it may indeed not give you any crystal shards you do not need.
---
"It's only the mind which separates reality from truth."
#8Link484Posted 1/14/2013 2:28:48 PM
Don't use level 90+ notes for farming shards. Just go with 76-89, even for the highest level ones.
---
Black Friend code: 3138 6684 1752
Xbox Live Gamertag: Szabu991
#9QuantumWolfPosted 1/15/2013 3:47:03 AM
During my last few hunts for Navy Shards, I had a speciifc Dark note to play, and somehow, pairing Treasure Hunter, using a Ribbon, stacking Luck Ups from multiple characters, and Treasure Hunter always guaranteed me 1 Navy Shard.

So yeah, coupled together with a Ribbon, Treasure Hunter helps immensely.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 3740-3024-4512
#10AdamLocked(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 4:16:22 PM
Okay well I have a new Chaos Mode drop theory: the item drops depends on how many times you failed/restarted the dark note.

What I've noticed that if I do not fail or restart during the FMS or BMS that I get the item drop at the top of the list. If I restart (either click retry or just failing the song entirely) then I get the #2 item, and if I do it over and over again that I get the #3.

This has been true on my last five tries. Three times I restarted multiple times and I got item #3. Then I failed once and got item #2. And then I played again and didn't fail on the FMS or BMS and got item #1.

Test this out guys and see if it's true for you. I have a feeling that it makes sense. I was already thinking "there is no penalty for failing/retrying in Chaos Shrine... you can just switch your team after FMS for the BMS by losing puprosely and there's no penalty". However, if your drop does depend on whether you retry there would actually be a penalty - and that would seem "fair".

Test this out guys and see if it's always/sometimes/never true for you!

BTW My party is Locke, Cid (Luck 3), WoL, and Cloud. Nobody has the Treasure Hunter ability. I tested this out on a Lv.99 Dark Note.