overrated?

#1konokonohamaruPosted 10/23/2012 8:12:23 PM
Not trying to troll, but I think the reviews set my expectations up too high. It was obviously a high quality game and fun to play, but nothing groundbreaking in terms of freedom, or in terms of choice & consequence, as some reviews had me believing
#2DarquePosted 10/23/2012 8:14:22 PM
What exactly were you expecting?

Because it seemed well deserving of the reviews it got. At least from my own personal experience.
---
Jill Valentine > You
#3konokonohamaru(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2012 8:22:01 PM
I was let down in two areas, mainly. I was expecting

1. Choice, morality, and consequence to be an important part of the gameplay.

2. Many different ways to creatively assassinate your target, a la Hitman.

But what I felt I actually got was

1. Choice is just about whether you want to kill people or not, but the game never challenged my morals and made me wonder if I made the right choice

2. There didn't seem to be as many creative ways to kill your targets as there were in Hitman. A lot of the "freedom" seemed to come from how you decide to gain access to your target and that's it. In any case there was too much handholding and the game generally felt short and easy on normal.
#4RetneugPosted 10/23/2012 8:22:48 PM
I consider almost nothing about it groundbreaking... But everything is so smooth and well-done that I don't mind that it draws on a few successful titles that came before it.

To me, it feels like the ultimate realization of superpowered stealth-action. I'll be very interested to see if the next Deus Ex takes any obvious cues from Dishonored.
---
Favourite things:
Electro-swing and lactokinesis
#5DarquePosted 10/23/2012 8:25:53 PM
I've never played Hitman, so I can't really comment on it in comparison to this game.

There are some creative ways to kill people in this game though... I mean, spring razors on thrown severed heads is a scream. =D
---
Jill Valentine > You
#6spoonusbardusPosted 10/23/2012 9:20:32 PM
I thought it was fun, but nothing groundbreaking. I do feel like the reviews made it sound far more innovative than it was. Also obscenely short! I know games don't have to be long to be good - just seems like a shame after all this care and effort was put into creating an elaborate world. Just when you start getting interested about learning more - THE END.

I'm not sorry I played it. Definitely not GOTY material though.
#7konokonohamaru(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2012 8:42:12 AM
good to see i'm not the only one who thought the reviews were misleading.

it's still a good game obviously
#8pothocketPosted 10/24/2012 9:00:11 AM
Yeah, this isn't some morality game that's going to somehow make you feel like every choice you made is a wrong one. That's a good thing because there isn't "damned if you do, damned if you don't" endings. There are no "wrong" or "bad" endings. There's also no room with 3 switches that let you choose your own ending regardless of how you've been playing your character's morality.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "creative kills" because this game is full of them.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#9DarquePosted 10/24/2012 12:33:42 PM
konokonohamaru posted...
good to see i'm not the only one who thought the reviews were misleading.

it's still a good game obviously

I'm curious, why do you need the affirmation of others to feel secure in your opinion?

Not all games are for all people.
---
Jill Valentine > You
#10konokonohamaru(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2012 1:35:59 PM
I don't need affirmation to feel secure in my opinion. But it's always nice to have other people who share your opinion, instead of being alone in it, that's all.