How many variations on the endings are there? ** MASSIVE SPOILERS **

#1ElDudorinoPosted 10/21/2012 7:09:04 PM
On my first playthrough I only got 2 kills (1 I have no idea about, probably rats eating an unconscious body, and the other was me accidentally getting Captain Curnow killed) and tried to just be a good dude in everything, and I was pretty satisfied with the ending although it seemed kind of random that the otherwise smart conspirators would end up going after Corvo to cement their power and then one of them would decide that they should all just die anyway.

And now I've completed a chaotic evil playthrough where I basically tried to murder everybody I possibly could, only letting a few of them live just long enough to give me a safe combination or some such. This gave me what seem to the only other two main endings.

But I noticed that there are a lot of little things that seem changeable. Some people say that Samuel was going to set off a flare or something after he dropped them off, but in my game he just kicked me out of his boat, called me a terrible person and said he was leaving (right before I gutted him). It seems he had contracted the plague as well. Both evil endings had me standing by Samuel's grave, but I wonder what would have been different if I'd let him drive off.

What if I didn't kill Sokolov and Piero? Would they have created a cure in my doomed city, had I let them live? Or would they even make an appearance at all?

Also, I heard Martin gets his throat slit in some people's games, but in mine nobody tried to kill him (except for me, of course). What kinds of different things can happen between Martin and Pendleton, other than me decapitating Martin and Pendleton getting hit by a stray bullet (prior to me stabbing his face)? Has anybody tried letting Martin live and then completing the game? What changes?

I doubt I'll do a third playthrough of this game but I'm quite curious now about what kinds of things change in the last couple chapters based on your actions...
#2catsimboyPosted 10/21/2012 7:31:44 PM
Well there's a little frozen time moment like the others that shows Piero and Sokolov giving elixers to plague victims if you save them in a low chaos ending.
---
I should not walk so a child may live.----http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Catsimboy
#3ElDudorino(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2012 7:49:35 PM
catsimboy posted...
Well there's a little frozen time moment like the others that shows Piero and Sokolov giving elixers to plague victims if you save them in a low chaos ending.

Yeah, they cured the plague in my first game. But I killed them in my evil game and found myself wondering if they still would have helped out in a dying Chaos city.
#4maximillianiiPosted 10/21/2012 8:29:30 PM
High chaos final level: Martin will commit suicide (unless you kill him first), Pendleton bleeds out from a stray bullet (again, unless you kill him first). Havelock will jump off the top of the lighthouse holding Emily unless you kill or knock him out first. In my playthrough, Samuel fires off a shot to attract the attention of the guards after dropping you off at Kingsparrow Island. If that didn't happen to you, I'm not sure what you did differently, but I pretty much slaughtered everyone in my high chaos run, except for most of the neutral NPC's (I did go crazy at the Lady Boyle party though).

Low chaos final level: both Martin and Pendleton are apparently poisoned by Havelock and dead by the time you get to the final room with him. He'll offer to let you take the key but then attack you if you grab it (at least this happened to me, maybe in some other people's games he just let them take it peacefully). Or you can kill or knock him out first.

As for Piero and Sokolov, I saved them in both my high and low chaos runs, so I'm not sure how much variation there is for them. I did notice, though, in the low chaos ("good") ending sequence, you see Piero and Sokolov working together in a lab and the narrator mentioning the end of the plague, so maybe if you don't save them, that part is removed? No idea. Someone would have to test it.
#5maximillianiiPosted 10/21/2012 8:36:27 PM
I just loaded up my high chaos save file (right before killing Havelock) where I saved Piero and Sokolov to double-check and see if they're mentioned at all in the ending (I saved Emily). They weren't, so I'm guessing that only the good ending can be affected by whether or not you save them.
#6Psycho_PoodlePosted 10/21/2012 11:25:08 PM
I think whether or not you kill Samuel also affects the ending. If you kill him you'll see Corvo visiting his grave, if not you'll see Corvo and Samuel enjoying themselves at a bar
---
You are about to die. Scream if you must. I will enjoy gutting you.
#7mistrfantasyPosted 10/21/2012 11:34:29 PM
It's variations per scene.

First Scene(throne room)
3 variations: High Chaos, Low Chaos, Dead Emily

Second Scene(Citizens/Dunwall)
3 variations: Low Chaos(scientists curing plague), High Chaos(bucha dead bodies), Really High Chaos(rats attacking people)

Third Scenes(Supporting Cast)
Samuel has 3 variations: High, Low, Dead
Callista has a scene if she survived
If High Chaos, you have tallboys killing people

Last Scene(Gravestone)
High/Low Chaos(same scene, different narrative)
Dead Emily
#8ElDudorino(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2012 4:00:44 AM
It's variations per scene.

First Scene(throne room)
3 variations: High Chaos, Low Chaos, Dead Emily

Second Scene(Citizens/Dunwall)
3 variations: Low Chaos(scientists curing plague), High Chaos(bucha dead bodies), Really High Chaos(rats attacking people)

Third Scenes(Supporting Cast)
Samuel has 3 variations: High, Low, Dead
Callista has a scene if she survived
If High Chaos, you have tallboys killing people

Last Scene(Gravestone)
High/Low Chaos(same scene, different narrative)
Dead Emily

Wow, that answers everything about the ending 'video' itself. Thanks! Does Callisa surviving depend on her dad surviving, or does it just come down to high/low chaos?

It looks like I was just mistaken about Samuel firing off a shot to let the guards know I was there. From reading other posts, I thought he tells you right away, but it looks like I would have had to step off of the boat and let him speak a couple lines first. I was in too big a rush to kill him, so I didn't get to that part previously.

The worst part about my high chaos playthrough is that I murdered Slackjaw in an earlier chapter, and it closed off an entire section of the sewers where Granny Rags would have been preparing soup and cheated me out of some runes and paintings!