getting the game to run faster?

#1ethanvampirehntPosted 10/30/2011 7:51:59 AM
"Look in your windows user temp directory for the loose .swf file while the game is running. Should be called ~<something>.dat, around 32-34MB. Load that in a flash player, though you won't get achievements, so if that kind of thing is important to you then I don't have any additional advice. This is how I play it on Linux since WINE isn't being very nice."

this post was made on the forums a while ago... does anyone know where that file is specifically? or if it is a dat or swf file?
I did a windows search and couldn't find anything.
#2riff429Posted 10/31/2011 4:44:18 AM(edited)
I posted that comment.

It tends to be different on each loading, but basically you're looking for a folder with a long, strange name. On my machine (XP), it started with a tilda "~", and contained 4 or 5 files, one of which was 32-35 MB, the rest were much, much smaller. You'll need to identify which file is the .swf that needs to be renamed (it starts off as .dat I seem to remember), either by loading each file into a flash player or using "file" in a linux terminal if you happen to have access to one (if you don't, don't bother with that method).

Sorry I can't be of more help, but this is all I remember.

edit: The windows temp directory, so whatever version of windows you use, look up where it would be. For me it was, IIRC, c:\documents and settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\, or something to that effect. Running a windows search when you don't know the name of what you're seeking isn't going to do you much good.
#3riff429Posted 10/31/2011 9:45:59 AM(edited)
update: The folder starts with "wrd". The last time I ran the game it created the folder "wrd-17-18-1c2def.~lk", containing 4 or 5 files, one of which was "~swd1.dat". Since I'm using WINE to run it, it ends up in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/<username>/Temp/

What this means for you on your system, I don't know, but that folder is typically the equivalent of "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp, or possible Appplication Data instead of Local Settings. Poke around.

Anyway, that's what you want. Rename it to whatever.swf and load it in flashplayer. Just a warning, some clickable things (menu related) won't work. The game is fully playable, but don't expect things like achievements to necessarily work, so if you care about that, find another way to play.