guys i think capcom is done with megaman...

#11shodown19Posted 7/20/2011 12:56:37 PM
maikutx posted...
shodown19 posted...
What I don't understand is Capcom's denial for Megaman. And what is their reason?

That Megaman is pretty much a non-entity in gaming now? :/

MM9 sold amazingly well, MM10 much less so.

Star Force paled in comparison to the .EXE series critically and commercially.

ZX was a modest success and ZX Advent was not.

The Maverick Hunter X series that was slated for release on PSP was killed after only one game, because worldwide sales were disappointing. Ditto to Powered Up.

Other than MM9, their attempts to keep the Megaman series going have not been very successful. Times have changed, and whether they stick to their roots or try to innovate, Megaman just doesn't seem to have kept in lockstep with the times.

Legends 3 was Inafune's vanity project, something he wanted to do without regard to profitability or success. However, with Inafune gone from Capcom of his own volition, they probably saw no need to continue with a project that was likely going to result in a loss for Capcom. A small group of people looking forward to it (remember, the internet echo chamber makes it seem like demand is much higher than it actually is), combined with Nintendo's anemic support of direct-download games, would probably put the project to rest even if the prologue/prototype game was released, and make for a game that didn't put Capcom in the black when you consider the man hours and money invested versus the revenues generated.

No gaming company is obligated to put out a product that will actually do harm to their bottom line.

Megaman's sales would make perfect business sense not to include him in the game. But what doesn't make sense is that Megaman related characters in the MVC3 also suffered the same low sales because they're included in said Megaman game. So by that logic, Zero and especially T.Bonne shouldn't be in MVC3.

Keiji Inafune's departure has more to do with this than anything I believe. The Japanese are known for shafting their people ruthlessly after they feel you done them wrong. Look at what Sega did to Yu Suzuki after he made Shenmue, never heard from again. Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom(on what I assume a bad note) and Megaman gets deleted from Capcom history. Quite sad actually.
---
You mad?
#12ZERO_X02Posted 7/20/2011 1:00:50 PM
If Sega can keep making Sonic games every year, Capcom should at least try to keep Megaman alive.
---
RIP Megaman Legends 3
#13greatgohanPosted 7/20/2011 1:12:37 PM
He is done pretty much. I hate Capcom so much truthfully and that is from the heart. That has always been one of my favorite series growing but mainly because of the fact that Capcom has lost touch with the fans. A petition gets made to get MML3 back and it's in development. Then you create a prototype and say if it does well it'll be created because you are not sure of the game's future. Next you cancel the game without even releasing the downloadable prototype, that is evil. Now, after countless requests, poll dominations, just it all you don't put X in. Wait...no not X but any MM at all. EXE, Starforce, just whoever. What....the....hell.

I cant explain how BAD I feel for the series as a whole and for any MM fan. Capcom has turned from that company you could always count on even in the bad times to that company that forgets and only cares about money. 4 RE characters and only 2 MM reps? Seriously?

I am sorry everyone but I am done. Capcom, even after that half-finished piece of crap and the fans and still no MM.

MM is dead. Thanks Capcom.
#14MegatokyoEdPosted 7/20/2011 1:14:03 PM
If Sega can keep making Sonic games every year, Capcom should at least try to keep Megaman alive.

Mega Man games sell nowhere near as well as Sonic games sadly.
---
Demyx is better than Axel.
http://www.last.fm/user/crazydom
#15Zohar_MetatronPosted 7/20/2011 1:22:29 PM
So by that logic, Zero and especially T.Bonne shouldn't be in MVC3.

Zero was well-received in UAS and Tron was fairly popular in MvC2. They got in because they were the most popular of the MM characters as far as fighting games went.

A petition gets made to get MML3 back and it's in development. Then you create a prototype and say if it does well it'll be created because you are not sure of the game's future. Next you cancel the game without even releasing the downloadable prototype, that is evil.

What happened was the dev team announced it before it was greenlit for release, or before they'd done any work on it, got the fans to do the design work for them, then decided to show off an alpha build that got nixed because it...well, it looked like an alpha build. The thing was a directionless budgetless cluster**** start to finish.

This isn't even considering how well Prototype would've done-it wouldn't, the system has no installed userbase and Nintendo offers no support for downloadable content. It also wouldn't have meant much, even-someone else pointed this out back when the Prototype thing was mentioned, but RE4Wii sold over 2 million copies, and they supported that audience with a pair of rail shooters.

Even if it did come out, the odds of it being the game Legends fans wanted were slim to none, and the odds of it tanking and killing the series anyway were through the roof.
---
Would you please stop that infernal raking?! It's driving me CRAZY! SHEESH!
#16ohsballerPosted 7/20/2011 1:22:30 PM
Its amazing that in 2011 people are still clamoring for Megaman games. lol
#17Garp_fistPosted 7/20/2011 1:24:51 PM
Sorry i'm a little pissed that one of my favorite gaming icons as a child is dying. Buying Capcom **** used from now on.
---
People that want Viewtiful Joe 3: 106. Lover of cartoons
Sin & Punishment character for SSB4! *started 06/10/11*
#18MaikeruRX-78Posted 7/20/2011 1:28:21 PM
ZERO_X02 posted...

Yes, but, here's the difference. Sonic is consistently a seller, if not to its original fanbase from the Genesis era. The series has evolved in a way that appeals to a brand new group of young fans, much in the same way that Battle Network appealed to a new audience of fans ten years ago, even if these newer games (the Sonic fairy tales games, Unleashed, etc.) are not critically well received, or liked by the fans of the 16-bit games.

The only MM games to really do well in recent years were the original Star Force and MM9, with MM10 also doing okay-ish.

Going back to Legends, American sales figures are unavailable, but in Japan they barely broke the 100k sales barrier. It was not what one would call a runaway success when you consider that X4 sold a combined 290,000 units on Saturn and PS1 in Japan, X5 sold 200,000 units, and even the late-PS1 game Mega Man X6 outperformed either Legends game with 160,000 units in Japan. Biohazard/Resident Evil 2 sold *ten times* as many units as MML1 or 2 in its first week alone in Japan (it moved a hefty 1 million copies for PS1 upon release), just to use one of the most obvious successes of Capcom in the 32-bit era as a counterpoint.
---
Nen kara nenchuu tabi shi'te wa hontou no jibun wo sagasu no sa
Mou! Tatakai wa hajimeteiru. Ba bababa bababa baba barararara