Why isn't Thor use more?

#1MedicalGamerPosted 2/27/2012 4:47:43 PM
I concede he's not the best character but he's not the worst.
-his air attacks are surprisingly really fast for a character his size
-Mighty Strike is a really goos get me off assist
-Mighty Spark is great for eating other projectiles
-has pretty good resets
-will take forever to chip him
Just with these he's a solid mid tier.
---
Specialty:Diagnostics
Running a team of Zero/Wright/Ammy in UMVC3 as PhantomHigh76, HvH Hero of Future, Present, and Past.
#2loffterPosted 2/27/2012 4:50:20 PM
thor takes a certain amount of intuitiveness to play. You cant just jump around doing mighty hurricanes, you have to KNOW when your opponent is going to jump. You have know frame data. You have to be able to predict everything (Or most of) your opponent will do, and how to counter it.

It takes a LOT of game knowledge to play Thor, and you cant always do the same things twice. It's hard for people to use him effectively.
---
Mike "Silverhyena" Ross . Gamertag- LoffterT.
#3GameNerd1994Posted 2/27/2012 4:50:45 PM
Slow as hell, terrible projectile, vulnerable to zoning, normals are very punishable if whiffed...yeah, you get the picture.
---
Official Moon Knight of the MvC3 and UMvC3 boards.
Tara Strong fan for life!
#4MedicalGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2012 4:52:36 PM
GameNerd1994 posted...
Slow as hell, terrible projectile, vulnerable to zoning, normals are very punishable if whiffed...yeah, you get the picture.

If you're talking about his ground normals, yes they suck. But Thor excels in air combat.
---
Specialty:Diagnostics
Running a team of Zero/Wright/Ammy in UMVC3 as PhantomHigh76, HvH Hero of Future, Present, and Past.
#5loffterPosted 2/27/2012 4:54:46 PM
GameNerd1994 posted...

only one of those things are true. and even then. ALL normals are punishble if whiffed.
---
#6ScriptsPosted 2/27/2012 4:55:27 PM
cause they dont buy odins beer
---
http://i.imgur.com/sdr8S.gif http://i.imgur.com/IfA5n.gif
http://i.imgur.com/NLmrg.gif
#7GameNerd1994Posted 2/27/2012 5:03:04 PM
loffter posted...
GameNerd1994 posted...

only one of those things are true. and even then. ALL normals are punishble if whiffed.

Yes, but Thor's normals are even more so because of their long recovery time. And you're telling me that Mighty Spark, an attack that most characters can duck or even walk under, is NOT terrible?
---
Official Moon Knight of the MvC3 and UMvC3 boards.
Tara Strong fan for life!
#8lol_whatPosted 2/27/2012 5:06:56 PM
because he's the worst heavy character in the game and all those points you listed they do better
#9crimsonspider89Posted 2/27/2012 5:08:50 PM
It isn't. It is a good antiair, does great damage, and fast startup. EMD only beam faster than it IIRC. Be glad they made it duckable. His normals in the air are godlike due to what all you can perform with those said normals.

Set up high low mixups, kara grabs, beats out other air normals. Thor being trash is a myth. He was lower mid in vanilla and he is upper/upper mid in this game. But upper and upper mid are crowded in Ultimate.
---
Official Vulcan of the MvC3 Boards
#10loffterPosted 2/27/2012 5:09:34 PM
GameNerd1994 posted...
loffter posted...
GameNerd1994 posted...

Yes, but Thor's normals are even more so because of their long recovery time. And you're telling me that Mighty Spark, an attack that most characters can duck or even walk under, is NOT terrible?

I am. Mighty spark L is one of the fastest projectiles in the game (There are a couple that are faster), and it's height is as much of a boon as it is a henderance. He can hit most characters at normal jump hight with it. Also, it has a lot of durability. I mean, sure, some characters can crouch under it, but any character can jump over disruptah or unibeam. If they are crouching, they aren't moving forward.

In addition, mighty spark H can be used as an anti air that leads into a full combo if it connects within standing S range.

I'm not saying it's the best projectile in the game, but it's FAR from crap. Mighty spark L is what makes characters come to thor. And once they come to thor, let the tri-dash/mighty hurricane mixups begin.
---