C/D buffing weaker characters is better than nerfing strong ones

#1GHExpert123Posted 4/17/2012 11:39:44 PM
C

When you buff the weak characters AND nerf strong ones, you really only switch their spots on the tier list. If you just buff the weaker ones, they'll be brought up closer to the top tiers, making the game more balanced in that fashion.

Just felt like discussing this since there's a rumored balance patch.
---
Dark Cloud 3 needs to be made already! People that agree with me: 34
Not changing my sig until Street Fighter: The Animated Series is on Netflix.
#2KarsticlesPosted 4/18/2012 12:08:21 AM
Buffs are better than nerfs, but your logic is not sound. All of the top tier characters that got nerfed from Vanilla are still very good, and most of them are still top tier.
---
My Ultimate Dormammu Guide: http://tinyurl.com/6mr4lhv
My UMvC3 Team Building Guide: http://tinyurl.com/8x865ra
#3Run_2_the_HillsPosted 4/18/2012 12:19:43 AM
it depends.

everyone Dark Phoenix mode?
#4Patrick7286Posted 4/18/2012 12:35:00 AM
There's more to good balancing than picking one or the other. It's about picking a reasonable standard and nerfing characters above it and buffing those below it. I would rather see Zero, Wesker, and Spencer nerfed than to see everyone on that level. I think that just below what top tier currently is (2nd tier, high tier, whatever) would be a good standard for this game to base balancing on.
#5reyray0709Posted 4/18/2012 12:37:39 AM
C

nerf and buffing just flips tiers.
---
I have THE best Zero & Vergil duo in all of Umvc3, with a little Wesker. I know u mad.. Hwoarang and Steve for SFxT
PSN and GT: reyray0709.
#6solidoutlawPosted 4/18/2012 1:07:20 AM

D. If you're going to try and rebalance a game, you need to look at everyone and everything. If we buffed low tiers in vanilla and left the top tiers alone, we'd still have ridiculous problems like Dark Pheonix and the impossible to zone Logan. Sometimes it can also involve a lot of uneccesary work. Take SF4 for example. If they decided to leave Sagat alone and buff up everyone else to his level, they'd uneceesarily have to start buffing everyone's health and damage and the end result would still be SSF4 Sagat but now the game would have a ton of random data changes. 

Now granted, it IS preferable to buff weaker characters because making a strong character weak only makes more weak characters, but to say one is better is just wrong. What if the weaker characters are fine and the strong ones are Ivan Ooze, ST Akuma, and every SNK boss?

#7ProzacIsBackPosted 4/18/2012 2:04:49 AM
D.

When you're dealing with balancing a finished problem, you're fixing mistakes.

Mistakes can cause a character to be far better than you intended. These mistakes cause serious problems(Vanilla DP). They affect you even if you don't want to use those characters.

Mistakes can also cause characters to be crap. These mistakes people don't care about as much. They only affect you if you want to use those characters.

It takes less work, has a stronger effect, and is less prone to failure if you nerf the problem characters in a fighter.
---
Prozac is a dick.
But he's a great player. He's like the Kanye West of GameFAQs, if Kanye had talent.
#8krazyshot1Posted 4/18/2012 8:42:35 AM
GHExpert123 posted...
C

When you buff the weak characters AND nerf strong ones, you really only switch their spots on the tier list. If you just buff the weaker ones, they'll be brought up closer to the top tiers, making the game more balanced in that fashion.

Just felt like discussing this since there's a rumored balance patch.

I'm going to D this, but wanted to quote you so I can address something you said. When you buff weak characters and nerf strong ones it won't necessarily switch the tier lists around. It all depends on how much you nerfed the strong characters and buffed the weak characters. You could conceivably give the weak characters minor buffs and the strong characters weak nerfs and the tier list wouldn't flip-flop, and in addition the game would be more balanced because all the characters would be brought closer to the middle.

When you only buff weaker characters than you could just conceivably end up with a bunch of OP characters and the game could devolve into who can hit their attack button first.
---
Top tier != Overpowered. Learn the difference.
#9DarkKirby2500Posted 4/18/2012 11:56:15 AM
Yeah, a rumor with no source, that I don't believe for multiple reasons.

But at any rate, the only character I believe NEEDS a nerf is Wesker and his glasses, and his damage and speed should not be boosted so much in X-Factor.

He could use more nerfs, as could many characters (like I believe Wesker's throws should not be so fast) but that's the only nerf that's NEEDED.
---
The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>