Thor resets, need help grasping the basic concept of a reset.

#1TheLegendofDevPosted 5/16/2012 8:48:46 PM
Alright, so from SRK, I've gathered that a reset is knocking a character back onto the ground into standing position?

I've always wanted to use Thor in this game but he just seemed so sluggish, so I was told by my friend to learn resets for him. Any tips?

Also, what's a tri-dash?
---
Here comes Justice!
#2woogieePosted 5/17/2012 12:22:49 AM
No. A reset is when you purposely drop a combo early to go for an opportunity to catch your opponent off guard and start a new combo. An example would be:

Wesker. Basic BnB ending in OTG Samurai Edge. Immediately after it OTG's and you recover jump up and air grab them.
---
I defeated a raccoon. SCIENCE! - M.O.D.O.K.
#3Razed812Posted 5/17/2012 12:25:04 AM
A reset is when you drop or do a low damage combo and then let the enemy recover from hitstun, then proceed to grab and OTG into another combo. So you can easily get a ToD off a reset.

Resets are a bit of a mixed bag, it's not always guaranteed that you'll get them.
#4Venator_LupusPosted 5/17/2012 12:30:44 AM
A reset is when you end the combo with a move that lets them recover out of it, yet leaves them in a reachable position so you can keep up the attack and hopefully open them up for another combo straight away. The whole point being that since they recovered the damage scaling resets and you know where and when they will be ready to get hit again to start another combo.

Thor's resets are to do with his command grab mighty hurricane (hcb+atk). The idea being you end an air combo then dash toward them and do his mighty hurricane as soon as they recover. This is a reset because they recover, you grab, they are left on the floor primed for an otg.

So, basic reset;
c.LHS > MMH > b.SRK L > dash forward > HCB H... that's the reset
.. > wesker SE > S > MMH > b.SRK L > QCF atkatk

You can get inventive with combos after resets and you can indeed do resets off resets but opponents tend to wise up.
---
"I hope this isn't Chris's signature"
#5TheLegendofDev(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2012 7:55:02 AM
So a reset is kind of like a mix-up? You force your opponent to guess, but in this case, they won't be guessing since Thor has Mighty Hurricane.
---
Here comes Justice!
#6soggytoast11Posted 5/17/2012 9:54:57 AM
TheLegendofDev posted...
So a reset is kind of like a mix-up? You force your opponent to guess, but in this case, they won't be guessing since Thor has Mighty Hurricane.

Yes, that's pretty much it. You end your combo so that they're left in a position where they are forced to react or else eat a ton of extra damage.

The best resets are the ones where they are naturally going to be blocking wrong. So in the Thor reset, the natural tendancy for your opponent is to continue to be holding back or mashing on S while he's being comboed. The Air Command Grab beats both of those. Your opponent can still escape or punish the grab attempt by using a number of other moves, but he won't be doing that unless he knows what those moves are and can react to the reset fast enough.
#7DuuuDe14Posted 5/17/2012 10:25:16 AM
The resets i use with Thor are just delayed mmhs charge mighty smash H air dash might hurrican l

Or air mighty strike L diagnonal air dash might hurricane.

And delayed mmhs charged mighty smash then charged mighty stike H for mashers.
---
The Official Sons of Sparda of the UMvC3 board
Dante: http://bit.ly/tN9nkZ Silly Tameem, DMCs are for Kamiya.- Solid_Belmont
#8MK9_ProdigyPosted 5/17/2012 10:33:06 AM
Also: Tri-dashing with Thor is extremely important.

Superjump, then dash down/forward at the same time. It allows you to go for a L overhead and then a low L.

Like this:

Superjump, ADDF, L (land) cr.LM S

Will cross your opponent up and paired with an assist is extremely useful.
---
Psn: JDM6413 Mains: Reptile,Scorpion,Kabal (MK9) Zero/Dante/Taskmaster (UMVC3)
~~~~~PRODIGY~~~~~~
#9serpentaurusPosted 5/17/2012 10:35:12 AM
Thor resets are either mighty hurricane resets, or mighty strike resets. But he can kill 1000k characters out of one touch with DHC so not worth all the time.
---
Now playing: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 FTW
Gtag: serpentaurus