Why are comeback mechanics acceptable in fighting games?

#81NoizyChildPosted 10/3/2012 8:52:29 PM(edited)
From: TatsumaruShadow | Posted: 10/3/2012 10:48:38 PM | #360
but i dont lose because of XF i lose cuz i suck.

Finally, someone gets it.
---
In America businesses don't need profits to survive. - llaW_Enots
The SFxT boards in a nutshell: http://i.imgur.com/9ECXm.gif
#82smasher61Posted 10/3/2012 8:57:18 PM
i love xf since it's given, and continues to blatantly give me so many fraud wins over ppl better than me

think xf3 could do with a 5-6 sec duration cut tho. tacs piss me off more tbh
---
LunaEstFrigida on Capcom games: "SF4 = Chess, UMvC3 = Dodgeball, SFxT = Golf"
#83RobIsntDrunkPosted 10/3/2012 8:59:39 PM
TatsumaruShadow posted...
MavisBeaconDTF posted...
Without X Factor in MvC3 all games will be reduced to one hit = win a match stuff.

Because combos are never dropped, and incoming mixups are never blocked, right?

^probably most truthful thing said in this thread so far. also if your opponent is gonna TOD you all day aint no amount of XF gonna save you, you just suck. And just to clarify im not talking like im better, i have no idea how good you are and I'm pretty crappy, but i dont lose because of XF i lose cuz i suck.

Wait, what? What does your opponents skill have to do with your skill? Them TOD'ing you is about them not dropping combos.
---
People complain about lag when the connection is flawless.
#84TomoEK9Posted 10/3/2012 9:04:18 PM
I would say comeback mechanics were added mostly because it creates a more exciting game to watch and play.

Its exciting to see a match entirely turned around because one player makes a comeback. Things like X-factor make that easier. But when its a mechanic built into the game rather than a player doing it on their own, it doesn't quite feel the same.
#85Strider HienPosted 10/3/2012 9:20:09 PM(edited)
_Savage posted...
Just be glad it isn't an infinite comeback mechanic and that it can only be used once.

And it isn't that bad, you can outrun and stall it.

Why should you have to run away from someone you outplayed?

You know when they're really outplayed? When they're dead.

When you blow 'em up with your combos,when they're kneeling before you when you chip them to death and when time runs out with you on the life lead.

Are they alive and walking? Then they are not out the game yet.
---
Proud ATSG of UMVC3 Heroes Watchtower:PSN Branch.
Defender of Justice.Destroyer of Evil.United we stand....
#86CamelJames28Posted 10/3/2012 9:10:16 PM
It was a pretty stupid game mechanic to put in. But like what has already been stated it's not an instant win button.
---
http://i.imgur.com/WX6rS.gif http://i.imgur.com/TUTdw.gif
#87TatsumaruShadowPosted 10/3/2012 9:23:37 PM
RobIsntDrunk posted...
MavisBeaconDTF posted...
Without X Factor in MvC3 all games will be reduced to one hit = win a match stuff.

^probably most truthful thing said in this thread so far. also if your opponent is gonna TOD you all day aint no amount of XF gonna save you, you just suck. And just to clarify im not talking like im better, i have no idea how good you are and I'm pretty crappy, but i dont lose because of XF i lose cuz i suck.

Wait, what? What does your opponents skill have to do with your skill? Them TOD'ing you is about them not dropping combos.

agreed, but this guy is saying without XF it would basically be a whoever-gets-hit-first-wins kinda game, but for one thing you can only XFC once, and another thing is if the person is good enough to kill off one hit then then he is probably good enough to open you up a second time
---
PSN: Mr_Teabo
#88PsilocybinPosted 10/3/2012 9:34:11 PM(edited)
I've never heard Justin Wong say x-factor was a good thing. However, I clearly remember him saying in one of the earlier Wednesday Night Fights that he wanted an option to turn off x-factor like what Smash does with items. Mind you, that was early in the Vanilla days.

Just recently he was on twitter showing his disgust for TAC combos being braindead and not risky enough.
#89RobIsntDrunkPosted 10/3/2012 9:39:41 PM
RobIsntDrunk posted...
MavisBeaconDTF posted...

agreed, but this guy is saying without XF it would basically be a whoever-gets-hit-first-wins kinda game, but for one thing you can only XFC once, and another thing is if the person is good enough to kill off one hit then then he is probably good enough to open you up a second time

Ah, I see. Makes sense, had that happen to me before.
---
People complain about lag when the connection is flawless.
#90NoizyChildPosted 10/3/2012 9:50:02 PM
I've never heard Justin Wong say x-factor was a good thing. However, I clearly remember him saying in one of the earlier Wednesday Night Fights that he wanted an option to turn off x-factor like what Smash does with items. Mind you, that was early in the Vanilla days.

Just recently he was on twitter showing his disgust for TAC combos being braindead and not risky enough.

I was referring to the game as a whole.
---
In America businesses don't need profits to survive. - llaW_Enots
The SFxT boards in a nutshell: http://i.imgur.com/9ECXm.gif