How does this stack up against Persona 4 Arena?

#21NoizyChildPosted 10/4/2012 2:25:41 PM
P4A is more technical than Marvel, simply because of how many subsystems you have to keep track of.

Learning combos themselves isn't the hard part.....it's setting them up properly, since your opponent can either Aerial Escape or Burst out of the combo.

And I agree with whoever said KOF is hard to get into.
---
In America businesses don't need profits to survive. - llaW_Enots
The SFxT boards in a nutshell: http://i.imgur.com/9ECXm.gif
#22solidoutlawPosted 10/4/2012 2:51:34 PM
akt22 posted...
duality48 posted...
I own both, but being a relative newbie to the fighting game franchise (anything serious that is), I can't choose which one to sink my teeth into! I'm talking fighting engine only, not extra features or story modes or any of that.

To me it seems like Marvel is the more flashy of the two, while persona might be a hair more technical with its one more cancels and bursting, but I really don't know as I only see them in the casual sense

Technicality isn't only thing you should consider if you want to decide what game to sink your teeth into. A decent system/good online is useless if you can't find people to play/join your lobby.

Persona 4 arena is by all accounts dead. The backlash by top pros in other communities (alienates the casual fan), the releases of upcoming games from arcsys (alienates the hardcore fan), and finally the region locking issues (alienates the persona series fan), will ensure that the game never takes off.

Marvel 3, OTOH, will continue to be strong on/offline despite the netcode issues. You won't be hard pressed to find people who will play the game if you invest in it. Plus there will be always plenty of tournaments/streams to watch high level play.

People who say P4A is dead are like the people who say MGR is a disgrace to MGS. They are ignorant and uninformed people.
---
PSN: rayplay I have not played P4 yet so pls don't spoil!!
"Wow, there's more hate in here than a K K K meeting!"
#23akt22Posted 10/4/2012 3:26:46 PM(edited)
solidoutlaw posted...
akt22 posted...
duality48 posted...
I own both, but being a relative newbie to the fighting game franchise (anything serious that is), I can't choose which one to sink my teeth into! I'm talking fighting engine only, not extra features or story modes or any of that.

To me it seems like Marvel is the more flashy of the two, while persona might be a hair more technical with its one more cancels and bursting, but I really don't know as I only see them in the casual sense

Technicality isn't only thing you should consider if you want to decide what game to sink your teeth into. A decent system/good online is useless if you can't find people to play/join your lobby.

Persona 4 arena is by all accounts dead. The backlash by top pros in other communities (alienates the casual fan), the releases of upcoming games from arcsys (alienates the hardcore fan), and finally the region locking issues (alienates the persona series fan), will ensure that the game never takes off.

Marvel 3, OTOH, will continue to be strong on/offline despite the netcode issues. You won't be hard pressed to find people who will play the game if you invest in it. Plus there will be always plenty of tournaments/streams to watch high level play.

People who say P4A is dead are like the people who say MGR is a disgrace to MGS. They are ignorant and uninformed people.

People who say that P4A will be relevant in the coming months not only are ignorant but delusional as well.
#24NoizyChildPosted 10/4/2012 3:08:30 PM

To be honest, he's right, especially in the hardcore sense.

With BB and GG coming out, P4A is going to be a ghost town.
---
In America businesses don't need profits to survive. - llaW_Enots
The SFxT boards in a nutshell: http://i.imgur.com/9ECXm.gif
#25solidoutlawPosted 10/4/2012 3:35:54 PM(edited)
NoizyChild posted...

That remains to be seen. There's no reason people wouldn't play multiple fighters nor leave the game for another fighter. I actually know that a lot of players were planning on leaving BB because P4A was closer to GG, or who preferred BB to GG because of the mechanics, and so on and so forth. It's not like an update to the same game like SF4 to SSF4. Plus, last I checked, the release date for GG was only for Japan (didn't specify anywhere else) and BB doesn't have a console release date at all yet, just speculation.
---
PSN: rayplay I have not played P4 yet so pls don't spoil!!
"Wow, there's more hate in here than a K K K meeting!"
#26lol_whatPosted 10/4/2012 4:12:27 PM
nobody is going to drop persona for blazblue, who are you kidding? The second persona came out people dropped it like an ugly baby.

guilty gear is going to ruin it, though.
#27Genyosai3Posted 10/4/2012 4:18:07 PM
P4A is an "Intro to Arcsys-Type fighters", utilizing the essentials of what you find in higher level BB and GG play without throwing an entirely crazy/huge system at you. And yet while it's easy to get into P4A, there's enough mechanics in the game to distinguish between pro and casual,(and noob)

Marvel is also very easy to learn, but the team building and meta-game aspect is where it's at here, the Arcsys/Atlus fighters have a tight-knit system, good for balance, but doesn't allow for much of a meta-game when compared to Marvel's rulebook(which is FULL of holes by the way, but it's the reason the meta-game is alot more extensive.)
---
PSN: Dragon_Install_3 BBCS:Tao,Valk/P4A:Akihiko "Tell me Ragna mains, what does 5B,....... mean to you?"
#28akt22Posted 10/4/2012 5:44:25 PM(edited)
solidoutlaw posted...
NoizyChild posted...

That remains to be seen. There's no reason people wouldn't play multiple fighters nor leave the game for another fighter. I actually know that a lot of players were planning on leaving BB because P4A was closer to GG, or who preferred BB to GG because of the mechanics, and so on and so forth. It's not like an update to the same game like SF4 to SSF4. Plus, last I checked, the release date for GG was only for Japan (didn't specify anywhere else) and BB doesn't have a console release date at all yet, just speculation.

History has shown other wise (Skull Girls, Capcom with TVC, SFXT, Capcom Fighting Jam).

Also the FGC has been following the "flavor of the month" theme recently.

The arcsys community could barely support BB alone, what makes you think they'll support 3 franchises successfully? Guilty Gear alone will probably kill it just because it's "guilty gear".

In regards to GG's release date, the community modified their ps2's just to play the most recent update of GG at the time. A japanese release date is not going stop them from trying to import it. While BB doesn't have console release date, loke tests for it are coming up soon, so a console release date can't be too far off. Hype that it exist will keep the community more focused on previous versions.
#29duality48(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 8:05:36 PM
Solidoutlaw please post your comparison you were talking about! Or post up a link to it if you dont mind. It sounds very helpful!

Also to genyosai3, what do you mean by meta-game aspects? I'm new to all of this so I'm a little confused here. Do you mean like picking out the right team/match ups and assist types and really analyzing which characters and assists go well together in order to further your combo potential.

Thank you all for the responses! More than I expected. Think I'm leaning towards Marvel, but still dont know. They're both just so awesome!
---
Add me on Xbox live: Giefs Galore