What makes Plasma Beam the best beam assist?

#1MedicalGamerPosted 12/4/2012 2:19:29 PM
I understand that with it's durability that it can really east up other projectiles and has high chip. But why do people regard it as the best beam assist ever?
I find Iron Man's Unibeam to be better for combo extensions and serves as projectile destroyer. Plus I feel it's a little faster than Plasma Beam. It also keeps the opponent in a grounded state so you can really extend your combos.
Or what about Magus? His beam is the fastest in the game and doesn't do many his which is prefect for teleport rushdown.

Tl:Dr why do people think Plasma Beam is the great bean assist?
---
Specialty:Diagnostics
The official calm guy of every board. UMVC3:Dante/Wright/Ammy P4A:Yosuke,Aigis TTT2:Asuka/Dragunov
#2catkiller904Posted 12/4/2012 2:22:24 PM
It's not the best in all situations, but the fact that it comes out behind the point character is a huge benefit. Each beam is good for different things.
---
TP~We do it for the lulz R.I.P J.R.M
Number of cats killed: 9000+ | http://oi47.tinypic.com/xpd6x2.jpg
#3SlydeSlymPosted 12/4/2012 2:24:36 PM
It isn't. Unibeam is better for some things, bolts of balzac is better for some things. Plasma beam is really good because it has strong durability and because he comes in a little bit behind the point character. It's a little harder to happy birthday him than other beams.
#4nothardcorelolPosted 12/4/2012 2:25:19 PM
Its not, Disruptor is.

Speed >>> Ease of confirm if you're a good player.
#5Phara0hManPosted 12/4/2012 2:29:50 PM
It's not really better than Unibeam, but it has the advantage of not requiring you to... y'know... run Iron Man.
---
NP: Skyrim, Dishonored, Civ 5, UMvC3
UMvC3: Hawkeye/ Iron Man/ Akuma
#6EM_MegaPosted 12/4/2012 2:30:59 PM
nothardcorelol posted...
Its not, Disruptor is.

Speed >>> Ease of confirm if you're a good player.

This. Though Plasma Beam has more durability I believe.
#7Old_SodPosted 12/4/2012 2:35:33 PM
ED > Unibeam > Plasma Beam > BoB > Mystic Ray > MODOK'S

imho...
---
Playing: Borderlands 2 (PC), TF2 (PC), UMvC3 (XBL)
GT/Steam: Fugawhuz | BT: Fugawhuz#1992
#8StrykeBlaydePosted 12/4/2012 2:38:26 PM
Bolts of Balthaak hits higher than other beams(encourages crouching), staggers on standing opponents, and stays out a good bit.

Mighty Spark hits higher than other beams(encourages crouching), comes out fairly fast, and does fairly good damage even when fully scaled(correct me on that one)

Psionic Blaster is fast, hits higher, and I believe is soft knockdown

Plasma Beam's been explained

Disruptor is probably the fastest, scales combos the least amount, but doesn't stay on screen the least amount of the beams.

Unibeam scales combos pretty badly, but keeps opponents standing and stays on screen for a fair bit.

Gun Fire is basically a Unibeam, but with a smaller hitbox.

Greyhound is as fast as Disruptor, hits as much, but I believe it's kind of weak compared to other beams(?)

I may have missed a couple, but the idea is that there is no 'best' beam, there's just the best beam for whatever situation you want it for.
---
Hell If I Know What Marvel Team I'm Maining...
Captain of TheoryFAQs
#9g6260Posted 12/4/2012 2:52:49 PM
Old_Sod posted...
ED > Unibeam > Plasma Beam > BoB > Mystic Ray > MODOK'S

imho...

Mystic Ray is one of 3 true anti-air assists in the entire game, no way is it worse than bolts of ballsack.
---
GT: amillionknivezz
http://i.imgur.com/ComI0.gif
#10smasher61Posted 12/4/2012 2:58:06 PM
imo Task Horizonal Arrows are better than most assists ITT

g6260 posted...
Mystic Ray is one of 3 true anti-air assists in the entire game, no way is it worse than bolts of ballsack.

takes a little while to actually go full screen and has pretty limited hitstun. prolly why we only really see it used by chars like Wolverine that can actually capitalize
---
LunaEstFrigida on Capcom games: "SF4 = Chess, UMvC3 = Dodgeball, SFxT = Golf"