Is anchor hawkeye not worth it?

#1SadCubsFanPosted 12/9/2012 2:54:38 AM
Thinking of making a team of nova, dorm, hawkeye

I really don't know what to do with him as anchor though when they have x factor too and just camp in the corner and tech throws

also, what are some good resets with him?
#2Patrick7286Posted 12/9/2012 3:22:52 AM
There seems to be some sort of disagreement on how good hawkeye anchor is. I can tell you from playing Arthur and other keepaway characters that chip based anchors are gimmicks because your opponent can just save their x factor and take no chip. Luckily hawkeye gets a solo combo off of his air throws, although I'm not too sure how great his solo mixup game is. It's worth noting that hawkeye has some great matchups against really important characters. He's certainly a viable anchor but not an insanely good one. His counter zoning strengths can really round out certain teams though.
#3ZekiraPosted 12/9/2012 5:28:08 AM
Anchor Hawkeye is worth it for one big aspect: Greyhound assist. It's the same reason why almost everyone runs Doom anchor.
---
UMvC3: Felicia (A) / Amaterasu (B) / Strider (Y). Philippines' Felicia and Amaterasu representative. Offline PS2/PS3 pad player with weird configuration.
#4koga_wolf_demonPosted 12/9/2012 6:07:43 AM
Patrick7286 posted...
There seems to be some sort of disagreement on how good hawkeye anchor is. I can tell you from playing Arthur and other keepaway characters that chip based anchors are gimmicks because your opponent can just save their x factor and take no chip. Luckily hawkeye gets a solo combo off of his air throws, although I'm not too sure how great his solo mixup game is. It's worth noting that hawkeye has some great matchups against really important characters. He's certainly a viable anchor but not an insanely good one. His counter zoning strengths can really round out certain teams though.

All he has for solo mixups is Trick Flip H and you can knock him out of it. I've never had it happen to me though.
---
Official Zero of the UMvC3 boards. PSN: ichikoga
Learning GGAC+. Main: Ky, Subs: Jam, Dizzy
#5Chat NoirPosted 12/9/2012 6:37:16 AM
Zekira posted...
Anchor Hawkeye is worth it for one big aspect: Greyhound assist. It's the same reason why almost everyone runs Doom anchor.

This. Greyhound is worth building your team around.
#6Old_SodPosted 12/9/2012 7:00:44 AM(edited)
Play against Pat's Hawkeye and see if he can't open you up with a solo Hawkeye...lmao.

He is all about Frame Trapping and throwing to get his damage as anchor...but he isn't as bad an anchor as people think he is. He can use his meter sort of like Akuma to get two Gimlets in a combo, Gimlet and Kiss of Fire in a combo, or Gimlet and Sparta Boot in the same combo to ensure death. You just gotta really know his range and how to apply pressure after a teched throw...especially an air throw.

Id say Greyhound assist is worth it.....just put Hawkeye 1st some matches to get used to playing him well. Centurion Rush and Dark Hole are actually great assists for him, honestly. Nova can also use Liberation assist to extend combos as well, and he can set up Dorm to kill with DHC Stalking Flare, store spells, raw tag back to Nova...making the assist actually useful.

s.M, Poison Tip frame traps, a. H to Net Arrow, Freeze Arrow cross ups, Fire arrow mind games, etc. are all good to create openings. Also for some match ups (like vs Doom) if you have the life lead, just turtle it out E. Honda style and reset spacing with Kiss of Fire.
---
Playing: Borderlands 2 (PC), TF2 (PC), UMvC3 (XBL)
GT/Steam: Fugawhuz | BT: Fugawhuz#1992
#7Phara0hManPosted 12/9/2012 7:10:46 AM
And don't forget hot Gimlet to the face when they press a button you don't like.

Simple as it sounds, that's honestly how I've won the vast majority of my anchor Hawkeye matches. People just love to hit buttons, and he loves it when people hit buttons. Against someone who actually possesses patience, then the above tips are golden. Just don't underestimate the power of an arrow to the face.

And yes, Greyhound assist is absolutely worth it.
---
NP: Skyrim, Dishonored, Civ 5, UMvC3
UMvC3: Hawkeye/ Iron Man/ Akuma