Official Apex 2013 Discussion Thread V1

#131InuyazeiahPosted 1/13/2013 2:03:34 PM
I think that Champ took a big risk here at Apex. Before, he was able to defeat Chris G when he had dorm and missiles, but for some reason this time he avoided the use of missiles and used rocks and the plasma beam instead, a first that he has ever done against Chris G I think. Also, what was he thinking using Phoenix against Chris G? He has already seen what Chris G does to Phoenix and the Fact that MorriDoom barely allows you to grab any meter makes Phoenix practically useless in this match up (unless Morrigan gets taken down first, then there might be a chance at winning.) I feel Champ put himself lower than he should have.
#132Archangel2385Posted 1/13/2013 2:05:59 PM
ih0tfirei posted...
Archangel2385 posted...
And to think people will probably STILL think Dorm is any sort of counter to Morrigan . . .

Without significant momentum (i.e. a Stalking Flare already on the screen), Dorm is just screwed.

You do know Phoenix was on champs team right?

Your point?

This is Morrigan we're talking about; she has like 3 or 4 different ways to prevent Dark Phoenix from rising. It is IMPERATIVE for a Phoenix player to kill a character like that at all costs if relying on Dark Phoenix is the game plan.

Sacrificing one meter to at least attempt to shift momentum is a helluva lot better than pointlessly hoarding all one's meters, especially when it's clear a Phoenix team can be chipped out before the player has a chance to hit 5 meters.
---
Words mean nothing if logic doesn't back it up. - MegaSTV
Toonami: 3/17/1997 > 9/20/2008 . . . RIP
#1331Scream1Posted 1/13/2013 2:08:57 PM
Archangel2385 posted...
ih0tfirei posted...
Archangel2385 posted...
And to think people will probably STILL think Dorm is any sort of counter to Morrigan . . .

Without significant momentum (i.e. a Stalking Flare already on the screen), Dorm is just screwed.

Your point?

This is Morrigan we're talking about; she has like 3 or 4 different ways to prevent Dark Phoenix from rising. It is IMPERATIVE for a Phoenix player to kill a character like that at all costs if relying on Dark Phoenix is the game plan.

Name them.
---
PSN: Crash182-
#134superbot400Posted 1/13/2013 2:15:42 PM
Archangel2385 posted...

Lol. You guys might just say that Morrigan has no counters.
---
http://spinsulin.freeforums.org/the-fantastic-four-respect-thread-t4436.html, my huge ass respect thread. You won't see it.
#135Mirai_NakiPosted 1/13/2013 2:18:38 PM
Justin Wong says there aren't any counters to Morridoom according to his twitter. He's right.

PogChamp
---
Memento Mori
#136superbot400Posted 1/13/2013 2:19:27 PM
Scott_Stapp_ posted...
Great. Now everybody will ignore obvious facts in favor of continuing the "CHRISG/MORRIGAN TOO STRONG" dialogue. Champ used a terrible team. He's stubbornly clinging to Phoenix even though we all have known that Mags/Dorm/Doom is his best team for half a damn year. Phoenix is an especially stupid choice against Chris G with his perfect lockdown and meter-stealing combos. Completely idiotic choice by Fchamp.

Maybe he was afraid of Hawkeye?

Yeah that's why people still Dorm is a good matchup aganist Morrigan, with meter he can easily gain momentum as much as Morrigan. The Dorm on a phoenix cannot gain momentum on Morrigan.
---
http://spinsulin.freeforums.org/the-fantastic-four-respect-thread-t4436.html, my huge ass respect thread. You won't see it.
#137ProzacStylingsPosted 1/13/2013 2:20:21 PM
1Scream1 posted...
Archangel2385 posted...
ih0tfirei posted...
Archangel2385 posted...

Your point?

Name them.

Snap -> Mixup.

Kill with high-damage low-meter-building zoning before she has 5 bars.

Combo into Soul Drain -> KO.

Combo into TAC xx XFC, Side TAC.

Combo into TAC xx Airdash, Side TAC.

/just saiyan
---
Quoth the server, "404"
#138Archangel2385Posted 1/13/2013 2:21:59 PM
1Scream1 posted...
Archangel2385 posted...
ih0tfirei posted...
Archangel2385 posted...

Your point?

Name them.

1. non-XF TAC cancel

2. Splash Libido > Soul Drain > Rapid Slash > Shadow Blade > Finishing Shower (I believe we saw this in the final match)

3. S (call HM assist) > MMHS > Soul Drain (HM will OTG) > Finishing Shower (or Shadow Blade > Finishing Shower) (we also saw this in their set, though I believe it was against Doom instead)

And those are just the ones I thought of offhand. Karsticles actually has an entire thread at SRK of Soul Drain setups (http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/soul-drain-setups.160763/) . . . I'll fully admit many of them are theoretical, but the POINT is that Morrigan is Phoenix's single greatest threat, and if you're running a Phoenix team against her, it is almost mandatory to kill Morrigan before Phoenix takes the field.
---
#139Archangel2385Posted 1/13/2013 2:26:19 PM
superbot400 posted...
Archangel2385 posted...

Lol. You guys might just say that Morrigan has no counters.

Morrigan (by herself) has counters. What this has shown is that in a neutral position, Dorm is most assuredly NOT one. He desperately needs momentum in his favor; that's not a counter, when momentum is not guaranteed.

Truthfully, that's not what many talk about when they talk of counters. No one is really worried about counters for Morrigan, but rather Morridoom, and there currently aren't any proven hard counters to that shell. There are a number of theoretical counters, but no character and/or shell that has much of a consistent history of success against Morridoom.
---
#140serpentaurusPosted 1/13/2013 2:28:43 PM
1Scream1 posted...
Archangel2385 posted...
ih0tfirei posted...
Archangel2385 posted...

Your point?

Name them.

just pick her, the phoenix player will change characters automatically :v
---
Now playing: UMvC3, Dark Souls