The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Just started the game, should I regret it?

#1DarkJediMikePosted 1/30/2013 1:46:11 PM
Hi,

I don't mind having to quit everything to get better at the game, but as I can see for now, must I have to learn one big endless combo to win my fights?

I mean, there doesn't seem to be any other tactics in the game except to learn a ridiculously long combo (or maybe two) and repeat. What am I missing with my beginner's eyes?

Thanks for the tips!
#2DarksteelPosted 1/30/2013 1:48:48 PM
Just learn how to play like a pelican and win
---
Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general -Mark Rippetoe
#3serpentaurusPosted 1/30/2013 1:50:11 PM
wolverine/doom/vergil
---
Now playing: UMvC3, Dark Souls
#4EbolatasticPosted 1/30/2013 1:51:12 PM
For starters, yes... you will need to know ridiculously long combos. As far as tactics are concerned, youll need to learn about five pages of basic ones before dealing with the encyclopedia or matchup based ones.

This game has a library of tactics way beyond just doing combos. If you really want to give this game a shot, buy the guide or start reading up on shoryuken forums once youve picked your team. Also check out the team building guide by Karsticles on here, its a brilliant primer.

Only regret getting this game if you have no friends at home to compete against or you do not plan on spending ALOT of time learning how to not suck.
#5Dragonboy86Posted 1/30/2013 1:51:43 PM
What your missing is actually starting those stupidly long combos. You could show me the longest and flashiest combo that can kill Thor, but until you show me a practical way of landing it in a match consistently, it's BS.

First off, you should tell us what your team is.
---
UMVC3:still working on that SFxTK: Heihachi and Lili
A vicious member of the Brotherhood that wields the Fists of Fire.
#6DarkJediMike(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 2:07:42 PM
Sorry, doesn't have a team yet. What I actually wondered was if long combos mostly were the core of the game, or if there's other ways to win?

I don't really regret the game, and I know I have to learn much more, but I don't know where to start from, since online is a nightmare for me now. :)

Thanks for the tips guys, now I'm just watching evo 2012 and try to analyse the good players.
#7MMX377Posted 1/30/2013 2:14:21 PM(edited)
DarkJediMike posted...
Sorry, doesn't have a team yet. What I actually wondered was if long combos mostly were the core of the game, or if there's other ways to win?

You'll be regret if you drop combo. So I suggest that you need more practice with your three choosing characters in your team. Don't drop combo or mess it up. Try creating your combo on the ground or air. OTG is your solution with OTG assist types (Wesker, Shuma, Hulk, and few).

Learn, adapt, and be a good fighting gamer.

---
"Get up!! Show me your true power!" Ryu's victory in SF3
#8Y-I-K-E-SPosted 1/30/2013 2:14:53 PM
Put Taskmaster on anchor and you'll do fine and shield skills away
---
PSN Y-I-K-E-S
#9xxterradarkxxxPosted 1/30/2013 2:17:44 PM
You don't NEED long combos. What you need are combos that are do at least half a character's life bar worth of damage and the skill to be able to start those combos.

If you have never played MVC before, good. Luck. To learn movement and stuff I'd say find someone on here who can play with you and talk to you on the mic. You can plan arcade mode, but it's not recommended.

Think up characters and look up bread and butter combo videos online. Until you become accustomed to this game, I would stay away from characters like Doom, Viper, Morrigan, Magneto and Storm to name a few.

SO essentially pick a team, look up bnb combo videos online. Practice those combos in the training room, then play with someone you know or someone from here to try to get better.
---
Psn: zslayer89
#10ZeroX07Posted 1/30/2013 2:40:08 PM
I will give you the following advice. Practice, practice, practice, and once you are done with your bnb combos. Practice some more until you do them without thinking about them. Once you can do your combos well. Go to rank matches. Prepare to lose, a lot. After hours playing online. You will learn the game mechanics, cheap moves, character behaviors and so forth.

Good luck and practice. Or you just go and play street fighter x tekken. Last i heard it was dead, so no real competition there or play skull girls.