Character Analysis Day 7: Hsien-Ko

#1MedicalGamerPosted 1/30/2013 9:59:14 PM
Remember when this topic came at a regular rate? You don't? Neither do I. Sadly I just finished taking my SATs and looking for scholarships (if you happen to know one, PM me since my mom is on my case on it).

But remember when I said that Ghost Rider is the worst character in the game and you thought I was high? Well..I started to wonder myself so, because Ko is objectively the worst character in the game.

Well she can't be all bad:

She has good normals...okay her s.L is really her most noticeable normal and while it can safely poke Zero into a combo, it can't challenge the likes of Magneto, Vergil, and Wolverine's s.L at all. Also her air normals only hit what is in front of her.

She does have an air-dash and a teleport...the former slow as molasses and her teleport being a dash meaning she can't really cover alot of space. Which means she can not wavedash AT ALL.

Her gold assist...is awful. In theory it should save you from imminent danger, but it's easy to bait it out and punish it with a beam super or HSF since those things will outright kill her. And if you don't have any of these options, you can snap the point out and kill her witha grab if your point can do that.

Her zoning is okayish with Missles and it does stop arrows and fireballs. Problem is that beams are going through her gong shockwaves. And as far as we know, beams are often a good way to fight missles as well.

Hsien-Ko is arguably the worst character in the game. Whenever I see a buff or nerf topic Hsien-Ko's most common buffs are that: She becomes faster, c.H can OTG, and her bomb items have a hitbox.

Those are good ideas and I'm glad that people want to buff her. But when it all comes down to it, those minor tweaks can't fix what is ultimately an unplayable character. People always complain about the minor stuff, but it means nothing if the character themselves are busted.

She will still be slow even with the speed buff since she can't wave dash due to her teleport being a dash.
Her combo potential will still be mediocre since the ones I saw this year barely cracked 400k before hyper. She can't ToD in a game with this amount of craziness.
Her poor HP means she can't survive in a zoning war for very long, the ONE way she might be consider viable.
Her assist juts gets alright murder by the common Sentinel.

She..doesn't really have anything you should respect against. And that is the ultimate key to all her flaws.

Look at the other low-tiers like GHost Rider, Shuma, and Phoenix Wright. GR has this awesome chain that effectively kills off assist meaning your opponent can't call assists or risk losing them. Shuma has one of the main 4 anti-air assist hence he is a decent enough assist character. Phoenix Wright has the Maya Shield which protects not him, but the assist as well. Also the scenario when he gets into Turnabout is so frightening that most players rather not deal with it by shutting as many options as they can like not calling assists.

Honestly, I don't know what kind of BS Ko suppose to have. And that is why I truly think she's the worst character in the game.

Now argue and discuss. Just let me put n the Flame -proof armor I borrowed from Camelslayer.
---
Specialty:Diagnostics
The official calm guy of every board. UMVC3:Dante/Wright/Ammy P4A:Yosuke,Aigis TTT2:Asuka/Dragunov
#2serpentaurusPosted 1/30/2013 10:06:36 PM
leilei is better than ironfist, phoenix wright, she-hulk and probably ghost rider. Her golden assist is very good, its just not worth the bar/setup when you can play doom plasma beam and control the ground while having a top 10 point character + TAC infinites.
---
Now playing: UMvC3, Dark Souls
#3Patrick7286Posted 1/30/2013 10:17:21 PM
Hsien Ko can't wavedash, but she can plink dash. She's still pretty bad though.
#4MedicalGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 10:23:23 PM
Patrick7286 posted...

I thought plink dashing is wave dashing.
---
Specialty:Diagnostics
The official calm guy of every board. UMVC3:Dante/Wright/Ammy P4A:Yosuke,Aigis TTT2:Asuka/Dragunov
#5LordRattergunPosted 1/30/2013 10:34:58 PM
Hsien-Ko is the worst fighter, arguably the worst character ever made.
---
Rattergun, you are truly a hero for our times. - Recoome_is_god
http://i.imgur.com/dUNdc.jpg
#6Patrick7286Posted 1/30/2013 10:40:10 PM
MedicalGamer posted...
Patrick7286 posted...

I thought plink dashing is wave dashing.

wavedashing is dashing then crouching to cancel the dash and then dashing again. Plink dashing is dashing and then canceling the dash with a normal, and canceling that normal with a dash during the first few frames of the move (exploiting the input leniency for two button dash).
#7Alom_o_molaPosted 1/30/2013 11:21:18 PM
she won't move anywhere though with plunked dash

she cannot also cancel her dash into normal
---
UMvC3 Team ~ Nova[Centurion Rush]/Rocket Raccoon[Spitfire]/Amaterasu[Cold Star] ~ PSN: Xr0s-up
Official Galactus of UMVC3
#8Patrick7286Posted 1/31/2013 12:22:14 AM
Alom_o_mola posted...
she won't move anywhere though with plunked dash

she cannot also cancel her dash into normal

I just went into training mode. She can cancel dash with crouching and normals. So technically she can wavedash I guess but it's really bad. Her plink dash seems ok. Her mobility is still pretty poor overall though.
#9AegisIkanaPosted 1/31/2013 2:30:31 AM
Technically, some of her normals and specials enable her to root herself in place. You can just go nuts with gongs and play footsies with her H moves when the opponent tries to approach. But I've yet to come up with an answer for teleporters. Gold Armor is mostly used for making her an assist, and Hsien Ko as an assist doesn't get killed in a way that's any different from the way any other assist would. The error most people have is assuming they can call her out fullscreen, which is idiocy in the first place. She is more like the close range equivalent of Hidden Missiles insurance wise. It also is a really good lockdown assist. I feel as though Sentinel could get a lot of use out of her in his close range game, but they are two characters I basically refuse to put together.
---
PSN: TheVeldt;; Hsien Ko/Morrigan/Felicia; Morrigan/Sent/Dorm
Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.
#10Y-I-K-E-SPosted 1/31/2013 6:06:35 AM
I think KO is still undiscovered, I would like the players that do use hsien ko to be a bit more creative. Gold armor doesn't get used to it full potential especially on cornered opponents and incoming mix ups. She dont need a wavedash when she can walk on air and do 3 senpu bu's after that.
---
PSN Y-I-K-E-S