Character Analysis Day 7: Hsien-Ko

#11Misdreavus573Posted 1/31/2013 6:51:52 AM
MedicalGamer posted...

She has good normals...okay her s.L is really her most noticeable normal and while it can safely poke Zero into a combo, it can't challenge the likes of Magneto, Vergil, and Wolverine's s.L at all. Also her air normals only hit what is in front of her.

Almost all of her normals have good range and aren't particularly slow. Her s.H in particular has great range and combos directly into c.H, which can be combo'd either into launcher or an f.H loop. Her f.h also has huge range as a poke. The only bad normal Hsien-ko has is her launcher, and maybe her f.M since it doesn't combo into anything. All in all, her normals are solid.

Also, her j.S technically crosses up, although the hitbox on the cross-up is small.

She does have an air-dash and a teleport...the former slow as molasses and her teleport being a dash meaning she can't really cover alot of space. Which means she can not wavedash AT ALL.

Her biggest flaw, along with her damage. It becomes somewhat less bad with something like Drones, Bolts or Cold Star behind her, and those three assists actually allow her to do mix-ups with Senpu-Bu or her teleport dash. But still, her horrendous mobility (and low damage) is what kills her (pun not intended.)

Her gold assist...is awful. In theory it should save you from imminent danger, but it's easy to bait it out and punish it with a beam super or HSF since those things will outright kill her. And if you don't have any of these options, you can snap the point out and kill her witha grab if your point can do that.

I really don't know why people keep saying that like it means anything. You can easily bait and punish literally every assist. Especially Hidden Missiles, aka the best assist in the game. The difference is, although she'll take a lot of damage, Hsien-ko will keep going and hit them out of it if she doesn't die (unless you called it from full screen for some reason...)

The fact that Sentinel alone can HSF and then use up his X-Factor just to kill my completely armored assist, means almost nothing, because you can do that to other top-tier assists like Missiles and Drones anyway. Yes, I am calling it now, Hsien-ko is one of the best assists in the game.

Also, you can snap her in, but incoming characters are immune to grabs until they either touch the ground or mash a button. And while she has gold armor, grabs are the only thing that work on her. Gold Hsien-ko is one of the safest incoming characters in the game, only beat by Sentinel.

Her zoning is okayish with Missles and it does stop arrows and fireballs. Problem is that beams are going through her gong shockwaves. And as far as we know, beams are often a good way to fight missles as well.

If you mean hypers, yes. But otherwise most beams don't get past gong, they're simply nullified.

She..doesn't really have anything you should respect against. And that is the ultimate key to all her flaws.

Rimoukon alone forces you to respect her. That, plus her good normals, pretty good up-close pressure with Senpu-Bu and teledash both crossing up, decent zoning, and a projectile reflector shouldn't be completely overlooked. Now, is she good? Absolutely not, her awful mobility and low damage ruin her, but to say she has nothing good is just wrong.
#12MedicalGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 3:43:10 PM
Bump
---
Specialty:Diagnostics
The official calm guy of every board. UMVC3:Dante/Wright/Ammy P4A:Yosuke,Aigis TTT2:Asuka/Dragunov
#13DarkKirby2500Posted 1/31/2013 3:46:45 PM
http://tinyurl.com/aqh38jo
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#14IostarsPosted 2/1/2013 9:39:55 AM
believe it or not, in Darkstalkers, Hsien-Ko is a mix up-cross up-pressure demon. These are just small examples of how she would be like if she has her actual DS speed, momentum, and cancel-able Senpu Bu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wr3uC3MzVk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LRoesBj8fs

unfortunately, in MvC3, she's stripped down to turtling behind gongs and can only pressure well in corners. She has trouble landing hits and converts, yes, but once she gets a combo going, her damage is actually respectable. Her solo damage in a corner combo (with no hypers) can go slightly more than 500k. If she has the bars for Ten Rai Ha loops, she can outright kill any opponents by herself, so practically, she does can TOD.

After all's said, though, I still think she can do more than most people made her out to be. I wonder if she couldn't be a better matchup against Morridoom. Theoretically, the gongs should protect her from all the frontal fireballs and missiles, leaving only the AV-Soul Fist coming from the rear to worry about.
---
Authority must be obeyed, or it must be overthrown! --- Red Queen
Alice: Madness Returns
#15Chat NoirPosted 2/1/2013 9:58:01 AM
Iostars posted...

After all's said, though, I still think she can do more than most people made her out to be. I wonder if she couldn't be a better matchup against Morridoom. Theoretically, the gongs should protect her from all the frontal fireballs and missiles, leaving only the AV-Soul Fist coming from the rear to worry about.

Gong doesn't protect her from missiles. But Gong plus an assist like Mystic Ray or Jam Session wouldbut then you have too worry about the opponents third character.
#16jellybeanmasterPosted 2/1/2013 10:05:34 AM
I hate how her combos are so hard to confirm and how cr. H duznt always combo

Also Shuma-Gorath is no way bottom 4. Def middle
---
PSN:ProdijusX, GT:BUMBA CLAWT,
#17vohniePosted 2/1/2013 10:08:39 AM
It's funny that you pull up those videos. Long before MvC3 was released, I thought that Hsien-Ko would be a perfect addition to the game considering how she just flies across the screen in original DS videos. I think it's just bizarre how Capcom slowed her down in a game that demands blazing speed. On top of that, I believe Nitsuma stated that Hsien-Ko was his favorite Darkstalker. Why cripple one of your favorite characters? I just don't understand fighting games sometimes.

One last note. I think one of the reasons Hsien-Ko gets rolled so hard is that her most spammable specials are SRK motions. It's so easy for a character like Akuma to bait out a Gong, and without a cancel, pendulum is really only useful when you want to run out the timer of X Factor.
#18jellybeanmasterPosted 2/1/2013 10:15:40 AM
Also, you can snap her in, but incoming characters are immune to grabs until they either touch the ground or mash a button. And while she has gold armor, grabs are the only thing that work on her. Gold Hsien-ko is one of the safest incoming characters in the game, only beat by Sentinel.

No one will try to contest her incoming cuz they can run away without worry
---
PSN:ProdijusX, GT:BUMBA CLAWT,