The 8th game on the EVO 2013 roster is Super Smash Bros: Melee

#41DarkKirby2500Posted 2/1/2013 11:16:12 PM
People on SRK are crying hard about Melee winning. That's reward enough.

The good news about Melee winning over Skullgirls is every person that plays Skullgirls would likely have showed up to EVO anyway, most Smash players don't play normal fighting games and thus it will bring in a whole new group of people.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#42ice_phoenix_Posted 2/2/2013 2:08:01 AM
NO ITEMS

FOX ONLY

FINAL DESTINATION
---
~yay_meh~
I freeze people then I melt them into water and drink them. <3
#43BreakerDoorManPosted 2/2/2013 7:20:18 AM
I supported Skull Girls. Because Cristina Vee.
---
'Fraid so, broseph.
#44MaverickMVIIPosted 2/2/2013 9:16:46 AM
Gigaraver posted...
MaverickMVII posted...
Gigaraver posted...
^^ And you're doing sarcasm wrong.

nothing sarcastic about it :/

In that case you're doing logical thinking wrong. :/

What's illogical about wanting to play Smash with some friends and plenty of interesting items on my favourite map?

...I'm being trolled, aren't I...
#45thedarksunPosted 2/2/2013 9:57:16 AM
MaverickMVII posted...
Gigaraver posted...
MaverickMVII posted...
Gigaraver posted...

What's illogical about wanting to play Smash with some friends and plenty of interesting items on my favourite map?

There's nothing wrong with that, it's the fact that you're saying that OTHER people are playing it wrong because they don't play the same way you do.

Like I said in a previous post, what competitive smash does is that it reduces the amount of randomness and infinites in the game when they can. That's why certain stages are banned and others are allowed in order to make sure it's the better player that wins, not because we want to stand out or anything.

This is coming from a player that has played Smash in a competitive format for at least 5 years now, and I can honestly say unless it's a tournament, we're more or less willing to play on any stage and with any items on, it's just that we prefer to stick with the tournament rules because we want to test our skills and get better at the game to be tournament ready.
#46MaverickMVIIPosted 2/2/2013 10:10:56 AM
thedarksun posted...
MaverickMVII posted...
Gigaraver posted...
MaverickMVII posted...
Gigaraver posted...

There's nothing wrong with that, it's the fact that you're saying that OTHER people are playing it wrong because they don't play the same way you do.

Like I said in a previous post, what competitive smash does is that it reduces the amount of randomness and infinites in the game when they can. That's why certain stages are banned and others are allowed in order to make sure it's the better player that wins, not because we want to stand out or anything.

This is coming from a player that has played Smash in a competitive format for at least 5 years now, and I can honestly say unless it's a tournament, we're more or less willing to play on any stage and with any items on, it's just that we prefer to stick with the tournament rules because we want to test our skills and get better at the game to be tournament ready.

Ah, alrighty. I guess I should amend all that; when I say "other people are doing it wrong" (or whatever it was I said) I wasn't being entirely serious. It's just a turn of phrase / colloquialism that meant "this is what I find most fun".

I do think it's a bit silly trying to make Smash competitive, as it's a very fun game and more so when not taken seriously, imo. But I can see reasons for doing it, and if people enjoy it then I say go for it. To me it does seem more like Mario Party than Street Fighter, so I give it that mentality instead of the other.
#47thedarksunPosted 2/2/2013 10:18:46 AM
MaverickMVII posted...

Ah, alrighty. I guess I should amend all that; when I say "other people are doing it wrong" (or whatever it was I said) I wasn't being entirely serious. It's just a turn of phrase / colloquialism that meant "this is what I find most fun".

I do think it's a bit silly trying to make Smash competitive, as it's a very fun game and more so when not taken seriously, imo. But I can see reasons for doing it, and if people enjoy it then I say go for it. To me it does seem more like Mario Party than Street Fighter, so I give it that mentality instead of the other.

That's perfectly fine, I mean, UMvC3 has a ton of casual players too, it's not like this community is shunning them or anything. It's just two different approaches to enjoying the same game, although I would argue that Smash does have enough depth within it's system that it could rival Street Fighter and UMvC3 in terms of both tech skill and fundamentals [such as spacing]

Actually, if it wasn't for Smash Melee, I wouldn't be as good of a player as I currently am in UMvC3, simply because some of the fundamentals I had in Smash Melee transferred over to this game.

Ironically, I would say that both games, even though they have very different engines, feel quite similar, especially since Marvel has wave dashing/tridashing [tridashing = wave dashing in smash and wave dashing = fox trotting in smash] and requires you to space yourself in order to make your opponent whiff their moves in order to punish.

With that said, if you'll be attending/spectating Evo 2013, I would just suggest you come in with an open mind about competitive Smash, it's very technical and requires reads that can rival Street Fighter, it's just that certain things are so subtle, unless you're a competitive player, you would never recognize it. But trust me, there will be some nail biting moments when the pros go at it, especially when you get to the final top 8.

Kind of funny how I ended up becoming the inbetween for the FGC and Smash in my community haha.