Oh man I didn't expect Vergil to be this hard to use. More questions.

#1ZekiraPosted 2/2/2013 11:47:57 PM
1.) I have no idea what Spiral Sword loop to use in the corner. Help?

2.) It just doesn't look like Vergil fits as a point character. After playing around with Ammy/Vergil/Hiryu yesterday (and getting bodied because I had no idea how Vergil works), I realize that Vergil is just really meant to either ride on momentum or just go ham with a successful XF herpderpiness.

Is it really OK if I just stick to anchor Vergil or something? I realize that he wasn't called Dark Vergil for nothing after playing around with him... he's like easy mode what the crap; once you land a successful Helm Breaker and has XF2/3 it's like he already won the entire game.

3.) Sometimes for some odd reason, Stinger doesn't cancel into Rising Sun. It takes a while to register in my head that this happened, and we all know how negative on hit Stinger is unless cancelled. I am PRETTY SURE I'm inputting the Shoryuken motion well; hell I even went into Training Mode for a while just to check and sometimes Rising Sun doesn't come out even with the correct inputs. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

4.) I'm still having quite some problems on his neutral game. I figured out the hard way that relying too much on Round Trip isn't really the way to go against fast characters like Wesker :/

5.) I heard someone say here that Judgement Cut is an underrated neutral move. How good is it really?

6.) I sometimes end up holding down my L button even though I'm not using Vergil lol. How do I break out of this habit
---
UMvC3: Felicia (A) / Amaterasu (B) / Strider (Y). Philippines' Felicia and Amaterasu representative. Offline PS2/PS3 pad player with weird configuration.
#2MK9_ProdigyPosted 2/3/2013 12:06:20 AM
In corner from a DHC I use

(Charge M thru animation)

Helm breaker L Judgment Cut Throw round trip, L Judgement cut, Lunar Phase Cr.H Stinger etc.

I can't really help you out on the rest cause my vergil is pretty fraudulent. I'm just starting to get a hang of him but I can't put into words. Basically: you have the best buttons in the game. Go nuts. Try not to whiff any though.
---
PSN&XBL: JDM6413 Playing: UMVC3, PSASBR Zero/Taskmaster/Vergil PSA:Dante, Sir Daniel
#3MK9_ProdigyPosted 2/3/2013 12:09:10 AM
Stop holding down L lol. Never had that happen to me.

Judgment cut is ****ing amazing don't let anyone tell you otherwise. ESPECIALLY IN DT OMG MAN.

Spiral Swords to put on pressure. Don't even think about it. You need to put on pressure? SS now.

Against fast characters use your buttons. Standing H/S and the L's are awesome.
---
PSN&XBL: JDM6413 Playing: UMVC3, PSASBR Zero/Taskmaster/Vergil PSA:Dante, Sir Daniel
#4KajinNinjaPosted 2/3/2013 12:17:43 AM(edited)
Zekira posted...

3.) Sometimes for some odd reason, Stinger doesn't cancel into Rising Sun. It takes a while to register in my head that this happened, and we all know how negative on hit Stinger is unless cancelled. I am PRETTY SURE I'm inputting the Shoryuken motion well; hell I even went into Training Mode for a while just to check and sometimes Rising Sun doesn't come out even with the correct inputs. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I swear to the almighty dollar I thought I was the only me with this problem. It was driving my bat%^&* crazy when only Stinger would come out. I dont know if the hold button execution works like it does in KoF, but ive found consistency in just holding L after I Stinger.

Can you manual Super Jump consistently? Thats been bugging me for the past 3 days... I cant do it consistently on either side. Ill get it and then I wont... and even if I hit it if I do a.MHS sometimes the M will wiff, the H will wiff or the S will wiff.
---
Perfection hinders progress...
PSN: TheRealKaji <ViewtifulJoe/Assist/Anchor>
#5MK9_ProdigyPosted 2/3/2013 12:22:23 AM
KajinNinja posted...
Zekira posted...

I swear to the almighty dollar I thought I was the only me with this problem. It was driving my bat%^&* crazy when only Stinger would come out. I dont know if the hold button execution works like it does in KoF, but ive found consistency in just holding L after I Stinger.

Can you manual Super Jump consistently? Thats been bugging me for the past 3 days... I cant do it consistently on either side. Ill get it and then I wont... and even if I hit it if I do a.MHS sometimes the M will wiff, the H will wiff or the S will wiff.

It messes me up as well. Idk.
---
#6Patrick7286Posted 2/3/2013 12:28:31 AM
If you just want to play him on anchor, then learn to convert off of helmet breaker in XF + DT. It's his downforward H command normal canceled with H as soon as you can (do not mash this, learn the timing and it's easy). Then super jump to L H S and do a standard combo from there. Throw a round trip to make the next character block. Teleport L or M. You can attack right away, you can dash under, you can rapid slash or you can fake a cross up with a judgement cut (which you can confirm off of meterless with XF and DT using stand S). Congrats you are a solid vergil anchor player.

If you want to play him point/2nd it will take a bit more work. You still need to learn the above since he's basically just as scary in XF2 as he is in XF3, he just has less time. Vergil strider is very good though(well vergil in general is really good). Don't rapid slash from the standing LMH chain, it's way too obvious that way. Try H+(call strider), stinger, teleport L or M. If strider hits you can go right into your ground chain and do a combo. You can opt for another layer to this mixup with a rapid slash right away after your teleport or a judgement cut for the same side mixup. Try to call strider when your opponent is almost done blocking your round trips and then apply a similar teleport mixup.
#7I_liek_mudkiepsPosted 2/3/2013 12:34:03 AM
vergil withammy and strider is stupid....you can just lock them down with round trip and cold star...prevent them to jump or teleport with vajra
#8Killarock404Posted 2/3/2013 12:41:59 AM(edited)
1. The ideal one for continue a combo is: (hold M) L. Judgement Cut, Helmbreaker, Round Trip, L.Judgement Cut (hold L), Lunar Phase, cr.H, Stinger

The tricky part is waiting for them to be overhead before you throw the round trip.

2. I disagree. As a point character he does have a bit more weaknesses than other characters, but his pokes make him really good. He can be extremely good as point character if you have the proper assist to back him up. I will say this though: he is probably one of the easiest characters to use X-factor with if that makes any sense.

3. If on pad i cant help you, however to do it on a stick correctly, you have to let the stick go into neutral before you input the motion. I had trouble with it too starting out, and still do from time to time.

4. Round Trip is good in neutral when they are in block stun. Otherwise it can be punishable. Use his pokes like s.L,c.L, s.H,cr.H for characters like wolverine and wesker who have to come to you to do damage it is pretty good. Just make sure you have a good assist to back you up for the H moves in case you miss.

5. It is a really good move for stopping rushdown M. Judgement Cut being the most versatile. Use it to end a string to be pretty safe. Only a few characters can punish it, and it requires meter to do so, plus you can cancel it into devil trigger on hit making it a bait for people who think you will use rapid slash.

6. practice with your team lol.
#9TheMoralessStarPosted 2/3/2013 12:58:03 AM
Zekira posted...
1.) I have no idea what Spiral Sword loop to use in the corner. Help?

For simplicity:

Spiral Swords > *charge round trip during with Light attack super freeze* > Helm Breaker > Helm Breaker > Lunar Phase (623M) > cr.H > stinger > release round trip > cr.H > Judgment Cut L (236L) > cr.H > [Spiral Swords + charge round trip with Light attack > Lunar Phase (623M) > step back > release charge > cr.H > Judgment Cut L (236L) > cr.H] - repeat bolded until death.

For optimization (somewhat):
Spiral Swords > *charge round trip during with Medium attack super freeze* > Judgment Cut L (236L) > Helm Breaker > release round trip charge >Judgment Cut L (236L) + charge round trip with Light attack > Lunar Phase (623M) > cr.H > Stinger > release round trip > cr.H > Judgment Cut L (236L) > cr.H > [Spiral Swords + charge round trip with Light attack > Lunar Phase (623M) > step back > release charge > cr.H > Judgment Cut L (236L) > cr.H] - repeat bolded until death.

2.) It just doesn't look like Vergil fits as a point character. After playing around with Ammy/Vergil/Hiryu yesterday (and getting bodied because I had no idea how Vergil works), I realize that Vergil is just really meant to either ride on momentum or just go ham with a successful XF herpderpiness.

Vergil is only good at riding on momentum you say? That's pretty accurate, if only he had some sort of extremely durable 1 bar super that turns him into a walking projectile, effectively controlling the momentum of a game as soon as he was able to activated, backed up by his incredibly long ranged normals and ToD combos.

Oh wait...

Is it really OK if I just stick to anchor Vergil or something? I realize that he wasn't called Dark Vergil for nothing after playing around with him... he's like easy mode what the crap; once you land a successful Helm Breaker and has XF2/3 it's like he already won the entire game.

You're playing 3 anchors, any order should be fine quite honestly.

Sounds like an execution problem, just practice up and you'll be fine in no time.

4.) I'm still having quite some problems on his neutral game. I figured out the hard way that relying too much on Round Trip isn't really the way to go against fast characters like Wesker :/

If you have trouble playing his neutral game, don't hesistate to go into DT mode, he becomes a lot stronger in neutral and very overwhelming to play against.

Outside of that, just make you opponent block something, that shouldn't be hard. Once that happens you can do whatever you want to them, since you are Vergil.
---
PSN: shakobe
Putting mark busters in their place since 2009.
#10TheMoralessStarPosted 2/3/2013 12:58:36 AM
Zekira posted...

5.) I heard someone say here that Judgement Cut is an underrated neutral move. How good is it really?

Its a good move against certain matchups, I don't see how it can be overrated. It isnt even hyped up.

6.) I sometimes end up holding down my L button even though I'm not using Vergil lol. How do I break out of this habit

I don't understand how this can happen. Vergil isn't Zero, you shouldn't need to hold down round trip outside of combos, incoming setups, Spiral Sword mixups.
---
PSN: shakobe
Putting mark busters in their place since 2009.