Deliberately performing less-than-best during casuals for the sake of learning

#1ZekiraPosted 2/17/2013 12:30:30 AM
It may be a bit detrimental to an arcade-like setting in our shop in A2G where you have to insert coins to actually activate your A button (custom cab for fighting games running on a 360), but I deliberately play less than perfect during casuals:

-I don't play my main team outside of tournaments or special events anymore.

-I don't deal with my opponent's team the way that it should be dealt with, such as snapping in the anchor or the assist character at the first opportunity (especially with one of the guys I battle, a Spider-Man/Doom/Strange player, and that team is scary because Spidey and Doom have some nasty mixups with EoA, and so the best way to defeat it is to actually snap in Strange because he's both an anchor AND a great assist character)

-I forcefully try out made up combos just to check how they work and stuff.

-Trying to discover new resets that usually end up with me eating a foot dive lol

Basically you get the idea... I treat every casual session almost like lab sessions and stuff.

I've noticed that I do perform much better in tourneys than on casuals now because of it.
---
UMvC3: Felicia (A) / Amaterasu (B) / Strider (Y). Philippines' Felicia and Amaterasu representative. Offline PS2/PS3 pad player with weird configuration.
#2CrispyPimpPosted 2/17/2013 12:52:29 AM
Truking gets hit on purpose to mind**** his opponent Kappa
---
UMvC3: Sentinel/???/Dormammu
#3Alom_o_molaPosted 2/17/2013 4:07:52 AM
it's casual for a reason

i agree, use it to test out various techniques
---
UMvC3 Team ~ Nova[Centurion Rush]/Rocket Raccoon[Spitfire]/Amaterasu[Cold Star] ~ PSN: Xr0s-up
Official Galactus of UMVC3
#41TruKingPosted 2/17/2013 4:32:00 AM
CrispyPimp posted...

Actually I have gotten hit on purpose to avoid a worse situation. Interesting when I talk to top players they understand that concept yet people here dont.

Nothing wrong with sandbagging and testing things out in casuals like this. I've done it for years as have others. Better to play the I wonder if this will work in this situation game during casuals rather than a tournament match.
---
Build a man a fire and he's warm for hours. Light a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life
#5Phara0hManPosted 2/17/2013 4:40:38 AM
I do the same. I rarely play the same team more than 3 matches in a row in casuals anymore, and I'm always testing goofy setups.
---
NP: Path of Exile, UMvC3, SFxT
UMvC3: Hawkeye/Dante/Sentinel, SFxT: Poison/Dudley
#6Zekira(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 5:28:49 AM
It kinda also helps to hide my main team so that people don't completely download it...
---
UMvC3: Felicia (A) / Amaterasu (B) / Strider (Y). Philippines' Felicia and Amaterasu representative. Offline PS2/PS3 pad player with weird configuration.
#7CrispyPimpPosted 2/17/2013 5:47:21 AM
1TruKing posted...
CrispyPimp posted...

Actually I have gotten hit on purpose to avoid a worse situation. Interesting when I talk to top players they understand that concept yet people here dont.

Its interesting how thats not what I said.
---
UMvC3: Sentinel/???/Dormammu
#8askinywhiteguyPosted 2/17/2013 10:31:48 AM
What team do you use in casuals, Zek?
---
-I will always, ALWAYS, main Felicia. DEAL WITH IT!-
"The pleasure of a dream, is that it's a fantasy. If it happens, it was never a dream." - FMA
#9StrykeBlaydePosted 2/17/2013 11:23:36 AM
1TruKing posted...
CrispyPimp posted...

That's not what you've said before, though.

You've admitted to outright losing on purpose if you're facing that guy a week or so later in tournaments. In Marvel, where just about anyone can lose to one incorrect action, that's not really beneficial.

Sure, assuming that's the first time you've ever fought that person, and they have no idea who you are, this would probably work somewhat in Street Fighter or something. However, in Marvel, you just get bopped once during that tournament game during a bad assist call, and it doesn't matter how well you know your opponent because you're now down to XF3 Doom against a full team.

Last I checked, you're still running Wolverine/Sent/Doom as well, so it's not exactly like you're playing some supper hidden team. You'd be better off just playing normally.
---
Hell If I Know What Marvel Team I'm Maining...
Playing: DMC1-4, DmC, Bayonetta, UMvC3, JC2, Skyrim, etc.
#101TruKingPosted 2/17/2013 12:55:12 PM
CrispyPimp posted...
1TruKing posted...

Its interesting how thats not what I said.

What you said is incorrect though. You said I get to to mess with my opponents and I don't. I get hit intentionally for strategic purposes.

StrykeBlayde posted...
1TruKing posted...
CrispyPimp posted...

That's not what you've said before, though.

You've admitted to outright losing on purpose if you're facing that guy a week or so later in tournaments. In Marvel, where just about anyone can lose to one incorrect action, that's not really beneficial.

Sure, assuming that's the first time you've ever fought that person, and they have no idea who you are, this would probably work somewhat in Street Fighter or something. However, in Marvel, you just get bopped once during that tournament game during a bad assist call, and it doesn't matter how well you know your opponent because you're now down to XF3 Doom against a full team.

Last I checked, you're still running Wolverine/Sent/Doom as well, so it's not exactly like you're playing some supper hidden team. You'd be better off just playing normally.

Last I checked I run hawkeye against zero and strider teams not wolverine. Last I checked sandbagging to draw somebody into a money match is a smart idea. Last I checked the guy who blew me up when I was sandbagging got blown up when I ran hawkeye against him. Last I checked that strategy worked out in my favor. Maybe you should keep up with my life better if you're planning to talk.
---
Build a man a fire and he's warm for hours. Light a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life