Approaching "elitists"

#1Alom_o_molaPosted 2/17/2013 4:17:42 AM
So a tourney is coming soon and I've vsd a few players online. Got bopped 0-5. I'll probably do the same in the tournaments. With that said, are the top players approachable even if you're a terrible player?

I know that one of my friends went to a LoL tourney and went up against the best in our country. He said that there is no chance he can talk to them as they are platinum whilst he is bronze/silver. Will the FGC be something like this too?
---
UMvC3 Team ~ Nova[Centurion Rush]/Rocket Raccoon[Spitfire]/Amaterasu[Cold Star] ~ PSN: Xr0s-up
Official Galactus of UMVC3
#21TruKingPosted 2/17/2013 4:28:12 AM
depends who you are, who they are, and where you're at. In some places people are pretty friendly in others you generally don't talk to people outside of your tier of skill level until you earn the right to do so. Unless you are or were a high level player on another game in which case you can often bypass the tier levels because you've earned respect somewhere.
---
Build a man a fire and he's warm for hours. Light a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life
#3Hiten Mitsurugi SPosted 2/17/2013 4:57:35 AM
I'd say chances are, yeah. There are a few really cool top players, but with ANY community, most people are going to treat you like a peasant, and some may actually call you that.

I love fighting games, but I hate the FGC. Smash community is a bit better with that, but they're like that too.
---
PSN : The14thOne.
#4Alom_o_mola(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 6:59:56 AM
darn, i was hoping to get better soon
---
UMvC3 Team ~ Nova[Centurion Rush]/Rocket Raccoon[Spitfire]/Amaterasu[Cold Star] ~ PSN: Xr0s-up
Official Galactus of UMVC3
#5DarksteelPosted 2/17/2013 7:19:18 AM
From my experience people are pretty cool especially if you tell them you're trying to learn. Also in terms of sociability, FGC > Al Quida > LoL community. Seriously I like the game, but sometimes secretly hopes it fails hard just because of the community.
---
Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general -Mark Rippetoe
#6KromagnumPosted 2/17/2013 9:09:44 AM
Every tournament I've been to, the people have been friendly and approachable. Granted, I've never been to a major. So I don't know about the top players. The highest 'tier' player I've met is Ranmasama, but he was cool.
---
PSN: glenn220
Ain't no shook hands in Brooklyn, grab ya balls and man up! -Telly2588
#7isirhciPosted 2/17/2013 9:20:24 AM
Just be social and people will be approachable. Offline settings are the best place to get tips. I've had casuals against better Zero players where they would tell me how to escape their setups.

I've also given tips to the obvious newer players DURING tournament play but after the match at majors.

At the end of the day, its just a video game where people play and enjoy themselves. Be social and everyone will be approachable...even the "top" players.
---
UMVC3 Dante - Basic Solo Combo Tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNi_FG00MBw
#8shaolinotterPosted 2/17/2013 10:31:44 AM
Alom_o_mola posted...
So a tourney is coming soon and I've vsd a few players online. Got bopped 0-5. I'll probably do the same in the tournaments. With that said, are the top players approachable even if you're a terrible player?

I know that one of my friends went to a LoL tourney and went up against the best in our country. He said that there is no chance he can talk to them as they are platinum whilst he is bronze/silver. Will the FGC be something like this too?

The real life FGC is nothing like LoL, which has a NOTORIOUSLY bad community. The scene gets a bad rap from people who don't attend tournaments and only know the stream monster aspect of things (its clear which people in this thread fit that discription.)

Tournaments are the most efficient way to get better. You'll probably lose and that's okay, nobody is going to be mean to you they'll just be grateful to get through the round. ASK THEM WHAT YOU DID WRONG and there's a 99% chance they will spend a few minutes giving you advice. I cant say "everyone in the FGC is nice and will help", but the vast majority are.

Please take a minute to read this:

http://shoryuken.com/2013/01/05/srk-forum-spotlight-why-you-should-attend-a-tournament-in-2013-by-eric-blackshinobi-stewart/
---
PSN: MyBodyIsInfested
#9JakeTheSn8kePosted 2/17/2013 10:52:52 AM
I just got known because of character loyalty and actually going up against some tourney players.

Usually players can be cool, they're are some with their egos so far up their ass.

But that's people in general.
---
R.I.P FFA
#10Lord_Shadow_19Posted 2/17/2013 1:00:39 PM
JakeTheSn8ke posted...
I just got known because of character loyalty and actually going up against some tourney players.

Usually players can be cool, they're are some with their egos so far up their ass.

But that's people in general.

This pretty much. I've been to a few tournaments since MvC3 came out and I can say that a lot of people tend to be pretty chill as long as you're not annoying or anything. There are a few people I've encountered that are serious douches such as Smooth Viper, but most people are fairly friendly, it's all about how you approach them.

As for the LoL community... those guys are seriously the worst people I've ever encountered, its like meeting WoW players and them acting exactly the way they act in the game.
---
Playing UMvC3, Far Cry 3, Black Ops 2. PSN: Entropy19