Anyone know a good game to start fighters on?

#21StrykeBlaydePosted 2/17/2013 8:54:25 PM
MavisBeaconDTF posted...
the double movement for supers is a turn off for alot of people.

Is this a post

No, that's not a Taskmaster video, I don't know why you'd think it was.
---
Hell If I Know What Marvel Team I'm Maining...
Playing: DMC1-4, DmC, Bayonetta, UMvC3, JC2, Skyrim, etc.
#22lol_whatPosted 2/17/2013 8:54:43 PM
Guilty Gear, very low level guilty gear is easier then anything, but the game has 1050195 little things you can slowly work on adding into your game that translate into other games

the semi-tight execution window for anything beyond magic series and fireballs will also make sure you don't learn on shortcuts
#23FirahairPosted 2/17/2013 9:00:08 PM
SF3 or Guilty Gear really. The classics are imo better for teaching fundamentals.
---
LP LP > LK HP
#24txbullyPosted 2/18/2013 1:38:26 AM(edited)
MavisBeaconDTF posted...
the double movement for supers is a turn off for alot of people.

Is this a post

yes bob it is.

that sweet opinion of mine was based on playing a bunch of fighting game newbies.

i pop in sf at school, and i get a lot of "my super isn't working".

i pop in marvel, and i get a lot of "dude, did you see that combo i did".

i wasn't speaking in terms of comp or skill, only in terms of pick up and play, which i think matters more to newbies. they will lose interest fast, if they feel like they don't know what they are doing. you can literally push A X Y B and look and feel like you did something impressive. try that with sf, then past your controller to the guy that called next after you.

and for the record, even seth said he didn't feel the double quarter circle was needed.

edit: http://shoryuken.com/2012/02/03/shadowloo-interviews-seth-killian-at-capcom-super-ultimate-showcase-hard-to-execute-moves-are-the-stupid-parts-of-fighting-games/
---
GT: stonefaceCal
I love you and there's nothing you can do about it.
#25badjab326Posted 2/18/2013 2:01:04 AM
MK9 offline.

If he's gonna play online then idk, maybe HDR.
---
TTT2-Bruce & Bryan; UMvC3-Frank/Deadpool/Nems; MK9-Reptile
#26GyudonKillerPosted 2/18/2013 5:20:18 AM
I second Noizy's suggestion. He has a point.
---
XBL:GyudonKiller
UMvC3:Skrull/Spencer/Strange, SSFIVAE:Chun/Cody, SG:Cerebella, P4A:Chie
#27Nomorice4UPosted 2/18/2013 6:07:50 AM
Why not this game? I found my way around fighters with this game.

While I had basics casual awareness since kof 98, it was this game's easy mode combo and flashiness that got me to care about boring fighter stuff like frames. SFIV's gameplay will turn into a bore fest for most beginners within a few hours.

For beginners, stuff like Bloody Roars, KoF or Capcom's VS games will work IMO.
#28txbullyPosted 2/18/2013 9:45:52 AM
Nomorice4U posted...
Why not this game? I found my way around fighters with this game.

While I had basics casual awareness since kof 98, it was this game's easy mode combo and flashiness that got me to care about boring fighter stuff like frames. SFIV's gameplay will turn into a bore fest for most beginners within a few hours.

For beginners, stuff like Bloody Roars, KoF or Capcom's VS games will work IMO.

this game is fine for newbies.
---
GT: stonefaceCal
I love you and there's nothing you can do about it.
#29Genyosai3Posted 2/18/2013 11:04:23 AM
Depends on the type of fighting game(s) he wants to learn, as 2D fighters go, if you want to play games where the first impression makes you feel like you can get better, try this game, SFxT, or P4A. If you're looking to learn tighter execution and reading skills then try SF4, MK, and KoF, and if you want a focus on system mechanics then try Guilty Gear or Blazblue.

3D is another story, I hear VF is very balanced, while Tekken and DoA have the much more wild mechanics, I can't give a sound opinion on those as I only play Soul Calibur.

Each game listed has basic fundamentals, but the learning curve for that drives people to play games that teach it in the simplest way.
---
PSN: Dragon_Install_3 BBCS:Tao,Valk/P4A:Akihiko "Tell me Ragna mains, what does 5B,....... mean to you?"
#30Emperor_ZergPosted 2/18/2013 11:24:21 AM
I don't think BlazBlue is really that difficult to learn. It will just be hard now since it is on so many iterations and you'll probably be only facing good players online now.

My opinion is to start at SFxT. Execution wise, it's very simple, but it teaches footsies, team synergy, oki to some degree, spacing, along with many other things.
---
UMvC3: Trish/ Dante/ Wesker, AE2012: Chun Li/ Yang
"For every second guess, I never gave a second look" - SOJA