Mental preperation for Tournaments? *hint of blogfaqs*

#1SolidAbyssPosted 2/20/2013 1:15:50 AM
So my scene is doing a Rambat for a sponsorship to EVO. I never been to EVO since I'm new to fighting games, so obviously I wanna go.

But I've only been able to go a few tournaments. I don't have the proper mindset when I'm in one I believe. I can play very well in casuals but I tend to get nervous or disappointed in myself when I am in one. I've been to a few SNS at southtown arcade, been to hadocon, and been to a few local tournaments. But this is one that I feel like I MUST win because I really want to win something I care about for once. A chance to go to the big places and meet a lot of cool people. It's not about the money like most other tournaments.

So enough about blogging about my life. I'm looking for tips on how to get ready for a tournament, and how to stay alert in one. Maybe a few tips on stop kicking myself when I do something stupid in tournament setting.
---
PSN: SolidAbyss
3ds friend code: 1204-0001-5868
#2Dragonboy86Posted 2/20/2013 1:35:12 AM
Almost all the prep you need for tournaments happens the day before.

1. Practice your Bnbs. They should be done on instinct. This is to help combat the tournament jitters. If you know your combos by heart, you are less likely to screw them up.

2. Get a good night's sleep. I'm dead serious on this one. 9 Hours is preferable, but 6 is okay. There is a science behind sleep cycles, but for right now, just choose one of the aforementioned hours.

3. Stay hydrated. Staying hydrated throughout the day before the tournament (and during it) will help.

4. Practice against your worst match-ups. If there are certain things that make you cringe, practice against them as much as you can.

When you are actually at the tournament:

1. Gauge the competition. If you're early (and most likely, you will be), play a few casual matches. Sandbag it just a little to gauge what your opponent is capable of.

2. Create a mantra. A phrase or saying that keeps you can focus on when you get the jitters.

3. ****ing breathe. People forget to breathe when they are nervous. Calm yourself down.

After a match:

1. If you get a win, take it as a sign of improvement rather than overestimating yourself cuz if you do lose after thinking you are godlike, it's gonna hurt that much more.

2. If you lose, don't hesitate to go to the character select screen to calm down and think for a little. Think about the moment when you lost the momentum. Think about the choices your opponent made when you are operating your neutral game, rushdown, and/or keepaway. What can you change in your game to keep him guessing?

3. Enjoy the game. I'm dead serious. People keep forgetting that this is a game. You should enjoy it as such. If you can remember that, you can fight with a clearer head.
---
Now Playing: UMVC3, SFxTK, SMT: Devil Survivor:Overclocked, ACIII.
A vicious member of the Brotherhood that wields the Fists of Fire.
#3MK9_ProdigyPosted 2/20/2013 1:40:59 AM
Smoke huge amounts of marijuana.
---
PSN&XBL: JDM6413 Playing: UMVC3, PSASBR Zero/Taskmaster/Vergil PSA:Dante, Sir Daniel
#4SolidAbyss(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 1:41:58 AM
MK9_Prodigy posted...

Nah, I'm staying clean for now
---
#5MK9_ProdigyPosted 2/20/2013 1:44:25 AM
SolidAbyss posted...
MK9_Prodigy posted...

Nah, I'm staying clean for now

Then prepare to lose Kappa

No but for real, just go in and don't get nervous. Be like "I'm better then everyone here I'm not losing".

Have confidence in your play. That's what made me win every tourney I've won.
---
PSN&XBL: JDM6413 Playing: UMVC3, PSASBR Zero/Taskmaster/Vergil PSA:Dante, Sir Daniel
#6SolidAbyss(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 2:13:44 AM
Dragonboy86 posted...
Almost all the prep you need for tournaments happens the day before.

1. Practice your Bnbs. They should be done on instinct. This is to help combat the tournament jitters. If you know your combos by heart, you are less likely to screw them up.

2. Get a good night's sleep. I'm dead serious on this one. 9 Hours is preferable, but 6 is okay. There is a science behind sleep cycles, but for right now, just choose one of the aforementioned hours.

3. Stay hydrated. Staying hydrated throughout the day before the tournament (and during it) will help.

4. Practice against your worst match-ups. If there are certain things that make you cringe, practice against them as much as you can.

When you are actually at the tournament:

1. Gauge the competition. If you're early (and most likely, you will be), play a few casual matches. Sandbag it just a little to gauge what your opponent is capable of.

2. Create a mantra. A phrase or saying that keeps you can focus on when you get the jitters.

3. ****ing breathe. People forget to breathe when they are nervous. Calm yourself down.

After a match:

1. If you get a win, take it as a sign of improvement rather than overestimating yourself cuz if you do lose after thinking you are godlike, it's gonna hurt that much more.

2. If you lose, don't hesitate to go to the character select screen to calm down and think for a little. Think about the moment when you lost the momentum. Think about the choices your opponent made when you are operating your neutral game, rushdown, and/or keepaway. What can you change in your game to keep him guessing?

3. Enjoy the game. I'm dead serious. People keep forgetting that this is a game. You should enjoy it as such. If you can remember that, you can fight with a clearer head.

Thanks for the tips
---
#7Alom_o_molaPosted 2/20/2013 2:22:29 AM
MK9_Prodigy posted...

what about alcohol?
---
UMvC3 Team ~ Nova[Centurion Rush]/Rocket Raccoon[Spitfire]/Amaterasu[Cold Star] ~ PSN: Xr0s-up
Official Galactus of UMVC3