Would a pianist be good at this game?

#11KajinNinjaPosted 3/6/2013 12:20:23 AM
DPoison posted...
Karsticles posted...
Fanatiq is a piano player.

There! We have it!

That's not a correlation considering he's a pad warrior. Unless you just mean the sense of timing and the finger dexterity then okie.

I've actually experimented on my friends with this, two brothers who were musically talented in piano vs. two friends who just wanted to play Street Fighter. The two brothers got links down way faster than the other two, but that was about it. Fundamentally they weren't any different skill wise, they could just land stuff.

So... Sure? Maybe it could help speed up the process, but what really matters is the fundamentals right? You can do Sako combos and have Marlin swag... but if you fundamentally suck that matters a bit more.
---
Perfection hinders progress...
PSN: TheRealKaji <LameCharacter/Assist/Anchor> (Poison X Christie)
#12KhadajPosted 3/6/2013 1:02:52 AM
KajinNinja posted...
DPoison posted...
Karsticles posted...
Fanatiq is a piano player.

There! We have it!

That's not a correlation considering he's a pad warrior. Unless you just mean the sense of timing and the finger dexterity then okie.

I've actually experimented on my friends with this, two brothers who were musically talented in piano vs. two friends who just wanted to play Street Fighter. The two brothers got links down way faster than the other two, but that was about it. Fundamentally they weren't any different skill wise, they could just land stuff.

So... Sure? Maybe it could help speed up the process, but what really matters is the fundamentals right? You can do Sako combos and have Marlin swag... but if you fundamentally suck that matters a bit more.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. If you play piano, learning the technical parts of a game comes quicker. But if you don't have the fundamentals to go with it, you'll still lose a lot.
#13Phara0hManPosted 3/6/2013 6:59:26 AM
1Scream1 posted...
Some songs on Guitar Hero are harder than on a real guitar.

Are you saying that Marvel would be harder to learn than to learn to play piano?

I think it is. I give piano and guitar lessons and have taken multiple music theory courses in the course of learning the instruments myself, and I can tell you the key difference that makes a fighter (particularly one with as much stuff happening at once as Marvel) harder to learn than introductory - intermediate piano.

*Note the emphasis on learn. In the long term, piano and music in general becomes unlimited in complexity and variation, whereas fighters are capped by engine limitations, input complexity and roster number.

Anyway, the key difference is that there is never an active and opposing force you must react/adapt to in learning piano. In the early stages, music and fighters have similar barriers for beginners: willingness to invest time, overcoming frustration, dexterity and technical prowess, etc. However, when first learning music, Spencer isn't going to AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRM you for missing a note. You won't be punished for making a mistake, you just try again, no harm no foul. In Marvel, you miss something, your character and potentially your whole team gets bopped and you get that big, discouraging L in your face at the end screen. Psychology is a BIG part of learning fighters; specifically learning to get past the salt.

Piano is also quite linear as a beginner; You learn your keyboard, you learn to read the music and translate that to the keyboard, you memorize passages, and then songs. There's a very straight progression until you hit a comfort zone with the pure mechanics of the piano, at which point it opens up wide. In marvel, from the character select screen you're presented with over 50 ways to start learning, tempered by preference and aesthetics. Sure, there are always ABC OTG Hyper combos... but those aren't universal. Past base game mechanics, every character is a different learning experience. Equate that to going to your first piano lesson and your instructor gives you a choice of 50 pianos. Each one has the same base functions; you hit a key, a note comes out. But they're all tuned differently or have different note layouts altogether.

I could actually go on, but... ehh. I think that's plenty.
---
NP: Path of Exile, UMvC3, SFxT
UMvC3 Lab: Doom/Storm/??? SFxT: Cody or Poison/Heihachi, Alisa/Guy
#14jaganshi2Posted 3/6/2013 7:28:01 AM
Maybe if your characters weren't reliant on DP motions (reverse, TK, after hadoken motions,etc...) ...
---
Be a part of Jaganshi-mania! Just text to 2334
#15SGleader1Posted 3/6/2013 8:37:18 AM
Khadaj posted...
I'm a piano player, and it's helped my fighting game skills a lot. When it comes to learning combos, if you can play piano well, then you will be able to do almost all the technical combos with ease.

People say Sako combos in Super and Morrigan fireballs are very hard to master, but I got them down faster than most people.

Do you play on arcade stick by chance?

Also, would being a piano player make using a hit box easier? I've been considering picking up one for a while.
---
Taking a break from Marvel. Playing Bayonetta, Blazblue, MK9, KOF 13, SF: 2012 AE, SFxT, and Kingdoms of Amlalur.
#16djprofessork1Posted 3/6/2013 9:30:36 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#17Platypus_7Posted 3/6/2013 10:22:58 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#18Platypus_7Posted 3/6/2013 10:23:19 AM
Speaking as a pedagogue and a lifelong musician...

Yes absolutely, I think music and fighting games are completely relatable.

I use the same techniques in teaching someone how to play this game as I would teaching someone to play an instrument.

Practice, Patience, repetition, technical mastery and watching
Video (or ITC audio) examples of pros.

And most of all, to take breaks when it's no longer fun.
#19poiuytre420Posted 3/6/2013 11:54:24 AM
I'm surprised knowones mentioned desk.
---
**** you, **** you, **** you, you're cool, **** you and im out
PSN - Dago_Premium
#20tristin809Posted 3/7/2013 2:40:24 PM
I play guitar and know the basics to piano, I'm still terrible.
---
"Shop smart, shop s-mart." -Ash, Army of Darkness
UMVC3 Main Team: Wesker(b), Sentinel(a), Strider(y)