I lack the discipline to improve.

#1tjmr15Posted 3/6/2013 8:28:59 AM
I realize something that holds me back is not calming down and dealing with what my opponent is about to do. I'm talking about when i KNOW what's coming, but I still don't block/grab my way out of it.

I KNOW nova is gonna do low, low, over-freakin-HEAD! But I still don't react fast enough to block the over head I saw coming. I know vergils goin to rapid slash after his unsafe blocked attacks, but I still don't block right/ grab him. I know foot dives coming, so why did I just get hit?, I'm underneath doom, I know what to expect, why am I not blocking and instead pressing a button lol?

So when people say this game doesnt take skill, I disagree. While it can be played on EZ mode with some rather simple tactics or herp derp characters, overall to be good you have to be able to deal with a lot of crap going on and be constantly thinking about all the BS your opponent is throwing at you/goin to throw at you, and be able to deal and counter it with your own BS. Yes there are some random moments when it's like "wtf.. Random much" but overall, nah, you just need to block Dat son. Like I hate meteor smash, but I know I just need to stop pressing buttons and block it, and I have nothing to complain about.

So am I the only one who suffers from "I know this is about to happen, but I still let it happen" lol?
---
PSN : XxGodHandxX
* shield skillz > just like cap >*herp derp * mighty swing * herp derp* mighty swing - your in for a word of derpp *
#2Old_SodPosted 3/6/2013 8:42:29 AM
Nova isn't doing low, low, overhead. His cr. L hits mid, which can be blocked high....his cr. M and cr. H are low though.

I typically have an idea of what's going to happen, but my problem is my inputs get sloppy sometimes when AGing and trying to create space and I get caught in something stupid.

I don't think it's that you lack discipline, it sounds more like you just lack interest. If you really wanted to win the games you played, you would react accordingly. Everyone get nerves and built up anxiety playing at some point (heck, I do playing good folks online), but saying you understand the next mixup but are "choosing" not to act sounds like apathetic laziness and is contradictory to your statement about trying calming down.

So, in my mind you are either lying about getting that nervous where you can't react, or you are lying about really knowing what is mixup is happening before it happens. Either those, or your reaction speed is just buns.
---
Playing: TF2 (PC), UMvC3 (XBL), Dota 2 (PC)
GT/Steam: Fugawhuz | BT: Fugawhuz#1992
#3tjmr15(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2013 9:24:07 AM
Old_Sod posted...
Nova isn't doing low, low, overhead. His cr. L hits mid, which can be blocked high....his cr. M and cr. H are low though.

I typically have an idea of what's going to happen, but my problem is my inputs get sloppy sometimes when AGing and trying to create space and I get caught in something stupid.

I don't think it's that you lack discipline, it sounds more like you just lack interest. If you really wanted to win the games you played, you would react accordingly. Everyone get nerves and built up anxiety playing at some point (heck, I do playing good folks online), but saying you understand the next mixup but are "choosing" not to act sounds like apathetic laziness and is contradictory to your statement about trying calming down.

So, in my mind you are either lying about getting that nervous where you can't react, or you are lying about really knowing what is mixup is happening before it happens. Either those, or your reaction speed is just buns.

I actually should have said " x>x>over head" vs low low, because I was just throwing something out to lead into the over head that I know is coming. Buy maybe it is just my reaction speed being booty. But I know that when I play someone that is good I lose my confidece and get nervous and do stupid things that cost me match, like if I see someone in a lobby get destroyed, and I'm next to fight the guy who won I'll automatically get nervous and not play my best, because Ill already put it im my head im probably going to get bopped. maybe I am contradicting myself, blah, I don't know -_-. I do wish I could play this game offline with people, online is getting old.
---
* shield skillz > just like cap >*herp derp * mighty swing * herp derp* mighty swing - your in for a word of derpp *
#4Old_SodPosted 3/6/2013 9:36:23 AM
Find new people from this board to play against. That keeps the game fresh for you instead of playing randoms or lobbies.

Also, playing against friends can help build up your confidence a little. People on this board can give you real feedback and advice, which is always nice.

Also also, just remember that if you are blocking in this game, you are losing.
---
Playing: TF2 (PC), UMvC3 (XBL), Dota 2 (PC)
GT/Steam: Fugawhuz | BT: Fugawhuz#1992
#5loffterPosted 3/6/2013 9:44:22 AM
I feel ya dude. I lost a set last night to a player who was using Wolverine and literally DID NOT JUMP without doing a dive kick, and I dont think I punished a single one of them X_X
---
Also, I can kill you with my brain. ~ River
*Black2 3311-3541-1257
#6AegisIkanaPosted 3/6/2013 10:30:26 AM
One. Discipline is inversely related to laziness.
Two. Fight me. I'll get you to start blocking the right way.
---
PSN: TheVeldt;; Getting over my biases.
"I don't want to learn Doom." - A masochist.
#7tjmr15(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2013 10:38:44 AM
AegisIkana posted...

lol, yes sir.

We will have to play sometime this week then.
---
#8GreivorPosted 3/6/2013 10:45:50 AM
Against Nova I just block high all the time, cause his only low normal is so slow I can block on reaction.
---
Zero - Making my day since 11/15/11.
#9AegisIkanaPosted 3/6/2013 10:46:19 AM
tjmr15 posted...
AegisIkana posted...

lol, yes sir.

Now is the best time for me. :c
---
PSN: TheVeldt;; Getting over my biases.
"I don't want to learn Doom." - A masochist.
#10tjmr15(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2013 11:36:06 AM
AegisIkana posted...
tjmr15 posted...
AegisIkana posted...

lol, yes sir.

Now is the best time for me. :c

I'm getting my car fixed and won't have reliable Internet until tomorrow when it's installed. I'll get in later today but I'm tethering from my phone ( which surprisingly works, and provides a decent connection) until tmr.
---