New to game, need some tips

#1BoWSan22Posted 3/20/2013 4:16:34 PM
So I just recently started playing about 2 weeks ago, so far I'm loving the game. I've had some experience with SF4 and SSF4 in the past, but that was a while ago and i have somewhat forgotten a lot of it. My friend has been helping me nightly playing a ton of matches with me and pointing out what I need to do and such, which has been a ton of help, but I'd like to hear some other advice from different people. So far I have been running Nova/Frank and can't really decide on an anchor. I've tried Doom out as he's the only anchor I actually know what to do with for the most part out of training mode.

My questions are pretty much what anchor would fit best with my team/current skill level. Are there certain things I should be practicing daily in training mode (I.E a training regimen) and stuff like that. I played on XBL (zLBowsan) so feel free to add me.
#2crescignoPosted 3/20/2013 4:19:47 PM
Sigh
---
Chun li/ryu/akuma
Psn:rescigno
#3BoWSan22(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 4:26:10 PM
Whoops, didn't notice this was PS3...rofl ignore post
---
XBL: zLBowsan
League: Bowsan
#4Dragonboy86Posted 3/20/2013 4:26:12 PM
Doom is a good anchor for that team, but not a good anchor overall IMO, but that's just me.

As for a training regiment, just do this in training mode:

Action - Stand
Guard - Random Guard
Advancing Guard - Random
Crossover Counter - Off
Knockdown Recovery - Random
Air Recovery - Random
Throw Escape - Random
Counterhit - Off

Go through the motions a bit with this setup. You should be able to land your BnBs on reaction. Feel free to make it so that the dummy is also jumping for air-to-air hitconfirms (Nova, Doom, and Frank like air hitconfirms).

My questions to you:

1. How comfortable are you with Doom? I know you said you are good with him, but how good? Do you have a proper BnB with him or are you just spamming projectiles?

2. What exactly is your plan if you don't have a lv.4 frank and Nova dies?

3. How comfortable are you with the movement options Doom and Nova have? Just curious.
---
Now Playing: UMVC3, SFxTK, SMT: Strange Journey, ACIII.
A vicious member of the Brotherhood that wields the Fists of Fire.
#5crescignoPosted 3/20/2013 4:26:45 PM
Welcome to umvc3!! The more the merrier.
Now, onto the forum bashing!!!
Do you work in a cheese factory in real life too? Because that team just stinks of fromage!!!
---
Chun li/ryu/akuma
Psn:rescigno
#6Dragonboy86Posted 3/20/2013 4:28:03 PM
BoWSan22 posted...

Most 360 players come here anyway cuz we have more people.
---
Now Playing: UMVC3, SFxTK, SMT: Strange Journey, ACIII.
A vicious member of the Brotherhood that wields the Fists of Fire.
#7Neowulf13Posted 3/20/2013 4:28:11 PM
BoWSan22 posted...

A lot of Xbox players post here actually, since this board is more active than the Xbox Marvel board.
---
Playing: UMvC3, Ni no Kuni, AirMech, others.
:3
#8BoWSan22(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 4:32:20 PM
Dragonboy86 posted...
Most 360 players come here anyway cuz we have more people.

Hmm ok my bad, I'm going full derp on gfaqs right now. Anyways as for Doom, I have the typical BnB down and have been practicing tri-dashing. I've always been trying to get used to plink dashing which I just recently learned about. As for level 1 Frank, That's a problem I'm having. If Nova dies, my Frank is pretty much screwed since I don't know what to do besides his BnB.
---
XBL: zLBowsan
League: Bowsan
#9catkiller904Posted 3/20/2013 4:33:02 PM
Sentinel is a common anchor choice for a Nova point, and many teams in general. He provides one of the best assists in the game in Drones, is a scary XF3 user, and is generally easy to use.

Dante...could be a choice, I guess. I know Frank likes Jam Session, and it'll let you level him easier. Dante's a bit technical, though, especially if you want to run him as anchor; you need to know what you're doing.

I'm not entirely sure what assists Frank likes outside of that, tbh. Nova can do well with a lot of stuff, generally strong horizontal assists like Drones, beam assists, Cold Star, and arrow assists.
---
TP~We do it for the lulz R.I.P J.R.M
Number of cats killed: 9000+ | http://oi47.tinypic.com/xpd6x2.jpg
#10ProzacStylingsPosted 3/20/2013 4:34:36 PM
Dragonboy86 posted...
Doom is a good anchor for that team, but not a good anchor overall IMO, but that's just me.

As for a training regiment, just do this in training mode:

Action - Stand
Guard - Random Guard
Advancing Guard - Random
Crossover Counter - Off
Knockdown Recovery - Random
Air Recovery - Random
Throw Escape - Random
Counterhit - Off

Go through the motions a bit with this setup. You should be able to land your BnBs on reaction. Feel free to make it so that the dummy is also jumping for air-to-air hitconfirms (Nova, Doom, and Frank like air hitconfirms).

My questions to you:

1. How comfortable are you with Doom? I know you said you are good with him, but how good? Do you have a proper BnB with him or are you just spamming projectiles?

2. What exactly is your plan if you don't have a lv.4 frank and Nova dies?

3. How comfortable are you with the movement options Doom and Nova have? Just curious.

^

Don't put the CPU on Advancing Guard.

Like, ever.

When set to pushblock, the CPU pushblocks attacks on the first frame. No human does this, and it will teach you bad habits, like thinking setup timings are consistent even if they pushblock.
---
Quoth the server, "404"