Why does tourney seeding favor successful players?

#91NewuserPosted 5/5/2013 7:55:38 AM(edited)
ProzacIsBack posted...
From an ethical standpoint, Proven-pro players don't need the advantage. They're more likely to survive the first round, or the pro in their pool.

If you put a J Wong and a Chris G into the same pool, only one of them will make it out of the pool. And if J Wong is sent to losers early it means he could meet PR Rog or F Champ early in the losers bracket and only one of them will be able to get through. Meanwhile a not so good player like Neo can get very far in the tourney because he gets an easy draw and gets to beat up a bunch of nobodies. Do you enjoy seeing not so good players getting far in tourneys because of the draw, rather than because of their ability? We enjoy seeing randoms beating top players, but do you enjoy seeing randoms playing against each other?
---
I'm going to ****ing rip your throat out if you wake me up again. And if you touch the poster, I'll slap you across the face with your own esophogus
#92KromagnumPosted 5/5/2013 8:47:14 AM
The last three tournaments I entered here in Mississippi all put me against a guy called AceKombat in the very first round. Three tournaments in a row. Seeing as this is one of (if not the) best players from my state, I got bodied. Hard. This guy goes on to take first place in just about every game he enters. He basically our local scene's equivalent of Chris G. I understand that he would beat me regardless of whether I played him in first round or grand finals. However, it's extremely discouraging to get matched up with him first round at every tournament I go to. If this continues, I'll never get the opportunity to try my chances at other players.

I'm not asking for a free ride up the bracket. But is it too much to ask to not get put up against our #1 seed every single time I go and try to support our local scene?
---
PSN: glenn220
Ain't no shook hands in Brooklyn, grab ya balls and man up! -Telly2588
#93Lord_Shadow_19Posted 5/5/2013 8:54:03 AM
Newuser posted...
ProzacIsBack posted...
From an ethical standpoint, Proven-pro players don't need the advantage. They're more likely to survive the first round, or the pro in their pool.

If you put a J Wong and a Chris G into the same pool, only one of them will make it out of the pool. And if J Wong is sent to losers early it means he could meet PR Rog or F Champ early in the losers bracket and only one of them will be able to get through. Meanwhile a not so good player like Neo can get very far in the tourney because he gets an easy draw and gets to beat up a bunch of nobodies. Do you enjoy seeing not so good players getting far in tourneys because of the draw, rather than because of their ability? We enjoy seeing randoms beating top players, but do you enjoy seeing randoms playing against each other?

All that happens in your situation is that the more pros are being sent to losers earlier in the tournament than later, grand finals will still ultimately be a match of 2 of the best players that showed up.

As I said before, I agree with Prozac, such preferential treatment should not be given to, nor is it needed by the pros. As stated, seeding is not decided by any kind of math, it's decided by bias and TO opinions, and when only a handful of players can be evaluated for the purposes of seeding (assume such a thing is done, which it isn't done as much as some would like to believe), it's unfair to the rest of the entrants.

But hey, like JDM said, "**** them!" right?

There wouldn't even be a scene without those potmonsters that many of you look down upon, there wouldn't be money, they would all be the size of a local with a few exceptions, and there would be less matches recorded.
---
Playing UMvC3, Far Cry 3, Black Ops 2. PSN: Entropy19
#94NewuserPosted 5/5/2013 9:26:47 AM
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
All that happens in your situation is that the more pros are being sent to losers earlier in the tournament than later, grand finals will still ultimately be a match of 2 of the best players that showed up.

Top 3 gets paid out. All the strongest players can be in one half of a winners bracket and that can mean a player not on the level of those players get a ride to 3rd place. Is that fair?
---
I'm going to ****ing rip your throat out if you wake me up again. And if you touch the poster, I'll slap you across the face with your own esophogus
#95Lord_Shadow_19Posted 5/5/2013 9:33:39 AM
Newuser posted...
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...

Top 3 gets paid out. All the strongest players can be in one half of a winners bracket and that can mean a player not on the level of those players get a ride to 3rd place. Is that fair?

If it's the luck of the draw, yeah, it's actually very fair because now we'd be talking about seeding being 100% random for every single entrant, that is the very definition of fair.
---
Playing UMvC3, Far Cry 3, Black Ops 2. PSN: Entropy19
#96NewuserPosted 5/5/2013 9:55:42 AM
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...
Newuser posted...
Lord_Shadow_19 posted...

If it's the luck of the draw, yeah, it's actually very fair because now we'd be talking about seeding being 100% random for every single entrant, that is the very definition of fair.

No I fail to see why it's fair. It now becomes a contest of luck rather than a contest of your skill. Of course the luck element in draws will always exist but if you think it's fair for players to have to rely more on their luck than their skills then something is very wrong with your understanding of competition.
---
#97MindSlicerPosted 5/5/2013 10:26:05 AM
I completely agree with TC

I have played multiple fighting games comptetively, amd nearly every tournament i have ever gone to I have been placed against a pro.

Perfect example here. I went to a random socal tourny for this.game about a month or so ago.

Guess who.my first opponent was? Richard nguyen first round (yippee so I get to go to losers right away)

next player I fight guess who it is?

BT clockwork

So to people that dont agree with prozac what do you have to say to me?

Im a perfect example of this very issue because I ALWAYS play a pro in my brackets I ALWAYS get seeded against "insert random pro here"
---
XBOX GT: Voteableaura
#98MindSlicerPosted 5/5/2013 10:29:13 AM
And it isnt like I can just get "zomg godlike"

I cant ever really tell if I get better if im always these guys and getting bodied. it certainly isnt a confidence booster and is one of the main reasons I dont go to as many tournies anymore
---
#99ZarchoniaPosted 5/5/2013 10:45:44 AM
MindSlicer posted...
I completely agree with TC

I have played multiple fighting games comptetively, amd nearly every tournament i have ever gone to I have been placed against a pro.

Perfect example here. I went to a random socal tourny for this.game about a month or so ago.

Guess who.my first opponent was? Richard nguyen first round (yippee so I get to go to losers right away)

next player I fight guess who it is?

BT clockwork

So to people that dont agree with prozac what do you have to say to me?

Im a perfect example of this very issue because I ALWAYS play a pro in my brackets I ALWAYS get seeded against "insert random pro here"

So exactly you shouldn't advance because you can't even beat one pro. How could you possibly hope to win the tourney. Seeding weeds out the weaker players so the stronger players can play each other. If you were actually any good, you might've won and taken down a pro making you a new pro.
---
"How do you prove we exist? Maybe we don't exist." -Vivi
#100MindSlicerPosted 5/5/2013 10:50:36 AM
Speaking of beating pros.

Who can you beat?

I never said anything about winning any tournies guy, I would just like to do better then Having to lose in the first or second round.

Learn how to read.
---