Lack of Profit-making

#11vyrosePosted 5/6/2012 3:57:32 PM

u need to see what cities has diferent stuff from the others and them mix them together, if u make a route with cities with the same stuff obviously you lose money

#12JamieK1981(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2012 7:28:09 PM
I was playing the trader campaign and it told me which colonies to set in the trade route and what plan to use and it took all my gold.
#13il_capitanoPosted 5/6/2012 7:44:35 PM
Stop complaining,you just have to connect 2-3 cities which produce different goods and you will make profit.
#14JamieK1981(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2012 7:24:20 AM
il_capitano posted...
Stop complaining,you just have to connect 2-3 cities which produce different goods and you will make profit.

I can complain if i want to, the developers should have put in multiple ways to make profit, instead of just a single way.

Also, not everyone is a trading mogul, so please, watch the attitude.
#15bumlePosted 5/7/2012 9:12:42 AM
In the beginning I would first do some trading around Port Royale to get a feeling for the game and the economic system; buy items which have two green bars until just before they reach zero bars, then move to another city and sell goods which have zero green bars until just before it reaches one bar. Rinse and repeat.

Then when you have a little capital and maybe a second or third ship do a tour around the map; Port Royale area east to San Juan area south to Margarita area then follow the coast west, north, east and finally south back to Port Royale after having visited every city and town along the way trading according to the instructions above.

If you do this two times you'll have enough cash to continue as you please (to a certain extent). Experiment with AI trade routes, production etc. I would wait a bit with heavy combat (attacking pirate bases etc.) until you have a steady income. You should also probably keep trading yourself for a while as you're (hopefully) both quicker and smarter than the AI traders.

With production you should probably stick with raw materials at first before expanding into more profitable commodities. Also you should build up a sizable building materials industry (wood and bricks) so that you can expand quicker.
#16Barzyn1Posted 5/7/2012 9:13:03 AM
what is the easiest trade route to do?
#17JamieK1981(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2012 9:31:58 AM
bumle posted...
In the beginning I would first do some trading around Port Royale to get a feeling for the game and the economic system; buy items which have two green bars until just before they reach zero bars, then move to another city and sell goods which have zero green bars until just before it reaches one bar. Rinse and repeat.

Then when you have a little capital and maybe a second or third ship do a tour around the map; Port Royale area east to San Juan area south to Margarita area then follow the coast west, north, east and finally south back to Port Royale after having visited every city and town along the way trading according to the instructions above.

If you do this two times you'll have enough cash to continue as you please (to a certain extent). Experiment with AI trade routes, production etc. I would wait a bit with heavy combat (attacking pirate bases etc.) until you have a steady income. You should also probably keep trading yourself for a while as you're (hopefully) both quicker and smarter than the AI traders.

With production you should probably stick with raw materials at first before expanding into more profitable commodities. Also you should build up a sizable building materials industry (wood and bricks) so that you can expand quicker.

The issue here is that trading is not exactly fun to do, i mean, i would have liked missions that involved me taking on cargo given to me by the mission giver to take to x city and the longer the journey, the bigger the reward, that is a perfect way to make money, sadly trading is the only way to make decent money.

Also, it takes too long to get to the point of making wood and bricks, i am assuming you are talking about the freeplay mode, well, i was hoping to be able to go through the adventurer campaign, but sadly, even to get through that forces you to trade alot to keep yourself afloat, since combat in this game is sadly underdeveloped.

It just seems like the Adventurer campaign was just slapped in the game as an afterthought, since you still HAVE to trade to get some decent money to be able to afford the combat side of the game, though i have discovered that you can make profit on rent from Residences alone, but you need a sizeable balance to get that started in the first place.

In the end, you can even make profit via killing pirate convoys and hideouts, but the problem is, you need to have a large balance to begin the fun part of the game, so its either cheat for the money, which makes you skyrocket through the ranks, which is not what i would want to do or its to stomach trading for a LONG time to make that money, which fails miserably.
#18bumlePosted 5/7/2012 9:45:53 AM
JamieK1981 posted...
bumle posted...

The issue here is that trading is not exactly fun to do, i mean, i would have liked missions that involved me taking on cargo given to me by the mission giver to take to x city and the longer the journey, the bigger the reward, that is a perfect way to make money, sadly trading is the only way to make decent money.

Also, it takes too long to get to the point of making wood and bricks, i am assuming you are talking about the freeplay mode, well, i was hoping to be able to go through the adventurer campaign, but sadly, even to get through that forces you to trade alot to keep yourself afloat, since combat in this game is sadly underdeveloped.

It just seems like the Adventurer campaign was just slapped in the game as an afterthought, since you still HAVE to trade to get some decent money to be able to afford the combat side of the game, though i have discovered that you can make profit on rent from Residences alone, but you need a sizeable balance to get that started in the first place.

In the end, you can even make profit via killing pirate convoys and hideouts, but the problem is, you need to have a large balance to begin the fun part of the game, so its either cheat for the money, which makes you skyrocket through the ranks, which is not what i would want to do or its to stomach trading for a LONG time to make that money, which fails miserably.

Fair enough. I'm playing the Freeplay yes. I just went through the first part of the campaign to see the tutorial. And I agree that the combat is a bit underdeveloped and that trading is a must in the early game (actually one of the reasons why I quit the campaign (I had chosen adventurer)). But if you actually use the "bring me some X commodities" missions and you have done that round trip a couple of times and have decent stowage, you can easily net a good 200K+ from goods which you actually have in your hold or warehouse. Considering that it would not take you very long at all to get to a point where it is conceivable to do other things than purely trade.
#19syn_productPosted 5/7/2012 2:56:14 PM
JamieK1981 posted...
blah blah blah

I don't think I've ever seen someone as insufferably resistant to advice as you. No one cares, you broken record. Next time maybe do a little more research into the game you're buying, and the series it's a part of. If most of the reviews praise the economic side of things over the 'adventuring' side, maybe you don't buy that game. Maybe you buy Tiddlywinks.
#20JamieK1981(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2012 2:56:42 PM
bumle posted...
JamieK1981 posted...
bumle posted...

Fair enough. I'm playing the Freeplay yes. I just went through the first part of the campaign to see the tutorial. And I agree that the combat is a bit underdeveloped and that trading is a must in the early game (actually one of the reasons why I quit the campaign (I had chosen adventurer)). But if you actually use the "bring me some X commodities" missions and you have done that round trip a couple of times and have decent stowage, you can easily net a good 200K+ from goods which you actually have in your hold or warehouse. Considering that it would not take you very long at all to get to a point where it is conceivable to do other things than purely trade.

Hmmm, got any hints on which items i should focus on? or just buy any items from towns that make them?

Cause i was playing the trader campaign and i was doing pretty well, but eventually i just kept spending to supply my business and my profits didn't exceed it and so i lost more and more gold and eventually, i was in the negative balance and just did a 'ALT - F4'.

I guess i can try what you suggest, but i think its a pity that you HAVE to trade before you do anything else, i think the pirates game does better in that regard, you can choose to fight or trade from the get go, infact the combat was more better, though PR3's storyline is vastly better from what i can tell of it.

Also, the missions to deliver x items are very rare and more often then not, i have to spend more then what i get to actually finish the mission in time, the searching for the lost son or husband missions, those are problematic at best, since it doesn't even give you a basic location on where you start your search.

Also, the ship you start with on the freeplay is a sloop i think, which is quite small and has low stowage, i think its 150??? not sure if thats enough for your suggestion.