Wind and Bullet Drop

#1bhamacukPosted 4/25/2012 1:36:40 PM
Can somebody tell me how to compensate for wind and bullet drop.

I know what it means in theory, but I don't know how to estimate the target by looking through the scope - I just don't know how to judge.

Tthere are markers horizontally and vertically in the scope. What should I be looking at? How should I be judging my shot?

Depending on the distance and wind direction, wind strength I don't know how far I need to adjust my aim.

I couldn't do this realistically on Sniper: Ghost Warrior either.

help needed in anticipation of full game! Thx
#2eldanonPosted 4/25/2012 3:59:08 PM
Easiest thing to do is play on a custom level with everything up to max but leave the shooting assistance enabled. Then when you do the empty lung technique, it'll show you with a red reticle where your bullet will actually land and you can see where you're aiming the middle of the scope.

As far as wind, if it shows the wind indicator to the right of the middle, it means wind is blowing to the right, thus aim a bit to the left of your target. Obviously, the stronger the wind, the more correction you have to do. Same with bullet drop - the further away your target, the more you have to aim above it.

It's more of an art than a science, those that played a lot of original Sniper Elite should feel right at home, those who are looking at the series for the first time have to just practice a lot =) It'll come to you, it's not too complex, just a lot of practice.
#3Buddy_DacotePosted 4/26/2012 4:22:25 AM
In the first game, it was one dot up for every 100 meters, and one dot to the side for every m/s of wind. Now, since this game lacks a range finder, I have no idea. I assume it's around the same. The wind indicator is different, but shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
#4beadlehandsPosted 4/26/2012 5:36:23 AM
I'm new to the series, so bare that in mind.

I think it's practice really. But there are a couple of things you can do (as i have) to try and better estimate how much "correction" you should make.

One way is to have the assistance enabled and tag enemies using the binoculars. When your "sights" for the binoc's are over an enemy that's tagged, it will show things like Rank, Weapon, State and Distance.
When you know what the distance is to any given enemy/point take a shot (aim for the head). Keep shooting and noting how far up, down, left or right you've "corrected" your aim. Once you hit you should have a mental note of how far you needed to correct for that distance.
eg - My first try on this, a soldier was 120m away from me. This worked out to about 1 and a half marks down on my sights (so i had to aim up to correct).
When i then noted a solider was about 80m away, i just corrected by about 1 mark and it was pretty accurate.

Also, as stated above, using the "Hold Breath" (whatever it's called) button paints a red target where your bullet will actually go. Use this a few times to get a feel for how far your bullet will drop/drift based on range and wind conditions.

Remember, elevation changes, wind etc will all have an effect. I'm not too good on this yet. My main problem is "leading" a target whose running. GRRR!!
Good game/demo though.
---
You forgot the first rule of gaming gentlemen, if you are not skilled in some aspect then the game is broken. Obviously - megamanmatt450
#5The LiberatorPosted 4/26/2012 9:23:24 AM
Buddy_Dacote posted...
In the first game, it was one dot up for every 100 meters, and one dot to the side for every m/s of wind. Now, since this game lacks a range finder, I have no idea. I assume it's around the same. The wind indicator is different, but shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

It's still 100 meters. What you have to do to determine length is mark a target and hold the binocular reticule over the guy and it'll show how far he is along with his rank and equipped weapon.
---
http://deathbymeko.deviantart.com/
Just to let you know, I hate each and every one of you.
#6bhamacuk(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2012 10:49:34 AM
Thanks people. I didn't know about the Binoculars tag thinggie, so I'll try that technique.

I guess I'll have to experiment .

What would've been good is an interactive tutorial where you can shoot targets in a shooting gallery. A voice over to say left a bit, up a bit etc.

Wasn't going to get this at first after playing the demo, but have it on pre-order so I am looking forward to it.
#7bhamacuk(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2012 12:09:56 PM
Just tried it again and nah, I just don't know how to do it!

The wind adjustment doesn't seem correct to me.

For example on the first soldier loitering in the doorway of the bombed out building 80 m away, the wind indicator is one notch to the right.

I experiment using the empty lung technique and red indicator to just see where I need to position my crosshairs but the crosshair isn't a little to the left, as I expected it to be to compensate for wind blowing in a rightwards direction.

Same with the sniper in the distance. Ok I had to aim a notch higher because he was a couple of hundred metres away but not to the left (as the wind indicator suggests).

I think it's cooler to play with the assist to be honest. Well, on first playthrough anyway.

I would like to learn how to play it realistically though. it would add to the experience.
#8DutchSchaefferPosted 4/27/2012 12:19:14 AM
For single shot kills and giving you the best chance of not missing and what I did for the demo is 'Zero' my rifle on a target of known distance.
By that I mean is that I know the sniper at the end of the street is 250m away from where you start the level, he is crouched down on his knee so I would say he is probably about 3 feet tall and measures 2 mil dots tall on the scope. The guard closest to you is at 100m and if you take him at 6 feet tall he measures at 10 mil dots high. So taking these known distances you can range everybody with some maths. Eg: a guard 6 mil dots high would be around 175 meters in range.
Judging bullet drop and windage, again taking the sniper at the end of the street as an example I know at 250m I need to aim about 18-20 inches above him, if he is 3 feet tall (2 mil dots) I will have to aim 1.5-1.75 mil dots above him. Windage=1 bar on the meter=half a mil adjustment. It's a bit complicated for a simple shooting game but it seems to work for me.
#9beadlehandsPosted 4/27/2012 4:33:19 AM
bhamacuk posted...
Can somebody tell me how to compensate for wind and bullet drop.

... etc, etc.

Hey dude.
The advice from other posters is good, but we all seem to be talking in different terms.
So i'll say this.

For the 2nd Sniper (after jumping into the building and killing the guard looking through the curtains) and the roof sniper (just after setting explosives, and just before reaching the "final" vantage point) the bullet drop is one unit/mil on the scope.

I've tried it a few times. Aim up by 1 mil should be accurate. Work shots based on this (play demo a few times) and you should have a better idea of how/how much to correct your shots.

Hope i/we have helped!
---
You forgot the first rule of gaming gentlemen, if you are not skilled in some aspect then the game is broken. Obviously - megamanmatt450
#10Wallcrawler8878Posted 4/27/2012 1:16:41 PM
The only aggravation I have so far is that I cant get the range on elite difficulty.

There really shouldnt be any reason I couldnt pull up the binocs and figure out what range my target is at. I dont need it to tell me his rank, or tag him, or help me aim, Id just like to know exactly how far out he is.

Sucks that I cant enable the range finder without enabling the rest of the assistances. It kills the scoring if any of that stuff is turned on.